The online racing simulator
Oculus Rift
(124 posts, started )
Oculus Rift
Will Scavier consider supporting the Oculus Rift?

http://www.kickstarter.com/pro ... nto-the-game?ref=category

Since the game is already TrackIR compatible (not that I have tried it), I would guess it wouldn't be such a big leap to make it compatible and It would make the game an absolute blast.

I'm quite exited about that toy
I hope too he support it

This can be the next BIG step for the Simulations
Yeah, because Scawen has such a great record of supporting bespoke equipment. :rolleyes:

Look, the Rift isn't really a consumer product so much as it is a platform for experimentation.
Palmer Lucky and John Carmack told consumers not to buy the Rift when they did a VR panel at Quakecon.

I'm sure that most PC gamers are really excited about HMDs catching up to their expectations, but it isn't quite here yet.
Quote from Mountaindewzilla :Yeah, because Scawen has such a great record of supporting bespoke equipment. :rolleyes:

Look, the Rift isn't really a consumer product so much as it is a platform for experimentation.
Palmer Lucky and John Carmack told consumers not to buy the Rift when they did a VR panel at Quakecon.

I'm sure that most PC gamers are really excited about HMDs catching up to their expectations, but it isn't quite here yet.

Where did I say that the product was available :rolleyes:

And of course the current prototype is for developers (Scawen is one I think) , not for gamers. They aim to sell a consumer version in 2013. It is probably going to be even further away but seeing the support by big names of the industry and the very good feedback of the journalists who have tried it, it is going hit the market. Unless there is WW3 or something...
Quote from Maelstrom :Where did I say that the product was available :rolleyes:

And of course the current prototype is for developers (Scawen is one I think) , not for gamers. They aim to sell a consumer version in 2013. It is probably going to be even further away but seeing the support by big names of the industry and the very good feedback of the journalists who have tried it, it is going hit the market. Unless there is WW3 or something...

It is available

Regardless of when Oculus or whoever launches "The Next Big Thing" for gamers, hoping that Scawen will add stereoscopic 3D output to LFS is like hoping that you'll win big at a slot machine.
Attached images
Slot_Machine.png
I have one of those and it blows.
-
(mbutcher) DELETED by mbutcher
Quote from Mountaindewzilla :Yeah, because Scawen has such a great record of supporting bespoke equipment. :rolleyes:

Like the naturalpoint TrackIR? Or the fact that there's a whole, documented, supported API for manipulating the game that people use to build dashboards, their own head tracking using Wii motes and so on?

Certainly better supported than other games...
Quote from the_angry_angel :Like the naturalpoint TrackIR? Or the fact that there's a whole, documented, supported API for manipulating the game that people use to build dashboards, their own head tracking using Wii motes and so on?

Certainly better supported than other games...

Don't get me wrong here, InSim in a great gift to the community.
Your post seems a little misleading though. TrackIR is not bespoke. I wouldn't be surprised if adding support for it is easier than driving the G27's LEDs
Third-party hobby projects are not equivalent to first-party hardware support.

I'd love it if Scawen came out and made a fool of me by supporting HMDs in the next few years.
This would be an epic contraption to drive with!!!!
This would burn your eyes out for sure
Quote from Mountaindewzilla :I'd love it if Scawen came out and made a fool of me by supporting HMDs in the next few years.

Because HMDs differ so much from normal displays...

How many of you actually own a TrackIR?
... Thought so...

Tell me what's so special about these, because I can't see a single new idea on these, and they still have the same shitty resolution every other HMD has...
Driving with TrackIR atleast when using a standard monitor is really confusing. It just somehow makes it much harder to figure out what the car is doing, compared to a static cockpit view. Hard to explain, but you'll know it when you try it.

Can't imagine driving in sims with head tracking to be much better with virtual goggles, but time will tell. In flight sims, head tracking is a must have though.
This is going to be interesting!
Let's hope it's actually is that good as they say when it's released, if so - this actually could be something!
-
(Whiskey) DELETED by Whiskey : wrong thread :P
Quote from bbman :Because HMDs differ so much from normal displays...

... Thought so...

Tell me what's so special about these, because I can't see a single new idea on these, and they still have the same shitty resolution every other HMD has...

Have you ever been in an IMAX dome? Especially one were you wear 3D glasses?

It is pretty impressive. You are pretty much inside the movie. So much that your body beleives it and you feel some physical effects. You are not looking at a flat screen but at a concave one and the image is distorted to fit.

If you add track IR to that and the image fixed to your head you get what the rift could be in 15 years.

For now the field of view is still limitated and the resolution is blurry but according to those who have tried it the feeling is there.

Actually some people sensible to vertigo have had some issue in front of some drop in the game. I think it is already quite impressive.

It won't be perfect at first but give it some time and it will blow your mind. And it is pretty cool to have something like this to look forward to and see growing.
Quote from bbman :Because HMDs differ so much from normal displays...

... Thought so...

Low latency motion tracking, large field of view, low weight, low price.

They accept extreme distortion because it is now possible to correct the distortion in software cheaply.
Quote from Matrixi :Driving with TrackIR atleast when using a standard monitor is really confusing. It just somehow makes it much harder to figure out what the car is doing, compared to a static cockpit view. Hard to explain, but you'll know it when you try it.

Can't imagine driving in sims with head tracking to be much better with virtual goggles, but time will tell. In flight sims, head tracking is a must have though.

Try the TrackIr on Beamer or on big Tv and its much much more as a gimmick, its nearly total useless on normal Monitors

Try to calibrate Trackir 1:1 to your Headmovment (Only for Apex Look in Cockpit view, dont use it to look around) and it Works really good in driving Sims.

sry for my bad english
It's not really the difference in head/eye movement in relation to the screen that's the problem in driving sims with TIR. It's something to do with being "one" with the car, which is strange because in real life you do move your head quite a bit when driving/racing. Like I said, it's difficult to explain.

I did try TIR and iRacing on a 46" TV, and it was just the same.
Do you have Vector Expansion? Without its useless for driving because every little move its a Sideview. With Vector the X Y Z Movment give much more Stable view
No need for vector expansion with TIR 4, and I only use TrackClip Pro with headphones anyway. Don't feel comfortable wearing a hat inside.
Ahh Ok, i use the the Trackir 3 with Vector
Did you try to reduce the Virtual movement to 1:1 with your head movement ? (Only Apex Look)

Its the only way i can handle it, if i use more Virtual look as my real Movement its unplayerble for me too.

Cockpit View & Real Movement Rotation & Force feedback Wheel is the only way i can control the car with TrackIr.

If i make somethink different i must agree to you its harder to find out whats is car and what is TrackIr movement.

Had a trackIR with the DoF addon and it was a big handicap in LFS. Concept seems good, but in practice it was horrible IMO. Moving you head, but then looking at fixed point was disorientating and unnatural.

The OR shouldn't have these issues, as long at the tracking doesn't shift over time.
Use the TrackIr ( with vector ) only for Apex Look, and it works very good.
On Beamer its very good, on Monitor or Tv its useless, you need a big big Screen (2,5m and more and get close to it) . Calibrate the Movement 1:1 (virtual:real view /max. 35 degree/ without Deadzone!).

Its Tricky to find right settings for Racing Games And it need alot of Training to use it correct.
Yes admittedly I was using 3 screens and a bigger one probably would have improved it. But I'm still of the opinion that moving your head to move the pov isn't intuitive. It's great for flight sims where dog fights require 360 view, but close racing it takes too much to get used too.
Developers, please add Rift support!

It adds so much to immersion. Anyone who do not yet realise the potential of this new HMD (Development Kit so far...) should dig into this!

Regards!

Oculus Rift
(124 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG