The online racing simulator
Idea for TBO league - What do you think?
Hi there, fellow racers! I have an idea clawing at the back of my head since some time, and I just wanted to know what you think about it.

First of all, I like the idea of competing teams rather than just individual drivers. Adds a bit of a strategic vibe to the whole thing. If you're not into this, you will most probably dislike my idea.

I'm thinking about a TBO league where every team features exactly one XRT, one RB4 and one FXO which are all racing together. Points will be awarded using a system that rewards team-oriented racing, so a team where all three cars finish on mediocre positions will earn more points than a team where one car finishes first, one last and one in the middle, even though both teams have the same average position. There are no points for individual drivers, only for the team. This is basically the essence of the idea.

The points system in conjunction with the differences of the three TBO cars (the FXO will not be restricted) is meant to promote team-oriented tactics like these:
- An RB4 lets his teammate's FXO overtake to benefit from the faster car's slipstream, or to allow the FXO to gain some lead while the RB4 "shields" him from opponents.
- Two or even all three cars of a team do their pit stops together so they can benefit from each other's slipstream when coming back on the track.

I could also think of some rules that would put even more emphasis on the tactics aspect, for example giving more points for the slower RB4 than the FXO, but that may also over-complicate things.

What do you think of the basic idea? Anyone interested, or is it just rubbish?
Well I really like your idea, espacially the tactical aspect within driving in a team. Would love to see this idea in a league and I would definitely participate. I just have a question: What are rules for qualifying? Every team sends their fastest driver and then all teammates will be in a row, or every driver qualifies on his own?
That's a good question, and I have to admit I didn't put much thought into the qualifying yet. If every single driver qualifies on his own, the result would be some form of separation among the three car types, which would not be desirable IMO.

How about this: First, every driver qualifies on his own, but then your starting position is calculated by some form of weighted average, where your time weighs the most, but your teammates' times also play a role. For example:

((my_time * 3) + teammate1_time + teammate2_time) / 5

The factor (3 in my example) can be changed to put more or less emphasis on your own time compared to the other ones'.
It would largely depend on which track(s) you'd use for this league. I honestly don't see teammates slowing down to draft with one another. You'd be best off to just do as well as you can without your team's help.

It's not a bad idea though. Maybe you'd be better off to make the XRT start the race, then when he crosses the line with 1 lap to go he spectates and his teammate leaves pit lane in an FXO. Then, once he takes 1 to go another teammate leaves pit lane in an RB4 and finishes the whole distance of the race. .

I don't think this is what you were looking for, but it might work.
Oh, like a relay race. That sounds interesting too!

I tried to keep my description as short as possible, so maybe some things didn't come out just the way I have them in mind. I actually don't expect anyone to slow down deliberately (that would also be a huge buzzkill), I just meant that it would make sense for an RB4 to let his FXO fellow pass, because he could go faster in the FXO's slipstream and might well be able to stay right behind it. So it's more about using your teammates to be faster than you could be ony your own.
#6 - P1lot
Sounds like Tag Team racing, which was done in 2004. There's a video round somewhere by Fordman.
FTO and GTi teams, with a bump up the bum in the pit lane.
Even Scawen took part (this was before driver changes)
Hi Gav..yeah remember that, that was awesome...needs to be re-done

Idea for TBO league - What do you think?
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG