The online racing simulator
Good gaming pc?
(25 posts, started )
#1 - Omar1
Good gaming pc?
Hi guys, im building a kinda budget pc was wondering what you guys think of the specs:

Just won the motherboard, Processor and 2GB ram on Ebay for £51! Bargin!

-Intel DG31PR Motherboard
-Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Processor @ 2.80GHZ (might overclock)
-3 or 4GB RAM
-ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2

Will be playing games like GTA IV, LFS, MW2, MW3, and other good stuff.

Thanks
Quote from Omar1 :Hi guys, im building a kinda budget pc was wondering what you guys think of the specs:

-3 or 4GB RAM
-ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2

Thanks

Hi Omar, im pretty sure you will be able to play LFS with all maxed out and good FPS, but im not sure about GTA 4... I had a similar setup, a bit better on RAM and CPU, and GTA 4 dragged like hell , i think that particular game plays alot better on quad cores.
Quote from Omar1 :Hi guys, im building a kinda budget pc was wondering what you guys think of the specs:

-3 or 4GB RAM
-ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2

Thanks

You should be able to play MW2, MW3 at close to maximum settings depending on your monitor resolution. Although I don't think you would get away with GTA IV on a dual core CPU - I have a E8400 @3.85GHZ and two Nvidia GTX 260 216 in SLI and I struggle to play it comfortably at 1920x1200.. It's defiantly playable but not smooth constant FPS that you'd get in MW2 etc.

LFS will run perfect though
The CPU is a bit out of date imo for MW2 and MW3, and GTA IV. Dual-cores are getting into the lower end of the spectrum these days. LFS will run just fine though.

Here's a PassMark evaluation.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cp ... re2+Duo+E7400+%40+2.80GHz

keep in mind, you could use a bit more RAM. 4 GB is the minimum for 64 bit to run well. If you want support for more than 3 GB, then run 64-bit, but it might use a bit more memory as a result. Do you know what type of memory the motherboard supports? (DDR, DDR2, DDR3)
Quote from Zipppy :The CPU is a bit out of date imo for MW2 and MW3, and GTA IV. Dual-cores are getting into the lower end of the spectrum these days. LFS will run just fine though.

Here's a PassMark evaluation.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cp ... re2+Duo+E7400+%40+2.80GHz

keep in mind, you could use a bit more RAM. 4 GB is the minimum for 64 bit to run well. If you want support for more than 3 GB, then run 64-bit, but it might use a bit more memory as a result. Do you know what type of memory the motherboard supports? (DDR, DDR2, DDR3)

The CPU is fine for MW. Old CPU's do fine on old games. GTAIV however will not run any good. They've been in the lower-end spectrum for a while now.

You don't need a minimum of 4GB to let 64-bit run good, that's just nonsense.
I've heard Intel mobos don't allow overclocking or its very hard, so don't expect really something
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :I've heard Intel mobos don't allow overclocking or its very hard, so don't expect really something

That's nonsense.

derp: This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :I've heard Intel mobos don't allow overclocking or its very hard, so don't expect really something

Where have you heard it from, The Onion or something?
#9 - Omar1
Well on this pc im currently using, i can run lfs at max with no lag, and used to play gta iv somehow:

Intel core 2 duo E4500 @ 2.2 GHZ
Nvidia 8600gt 256mb
2GB RAM.

Anyway, im not looking to play it on super high settings, just at a point that has nice FPS to Graphics ratio.
Quote from Omar1 :Well on this pc im currently using, i can run lfs at max with no lag, and used to play gta iv somehow:

Intel core 2 duo E4500 @ 2.2 GHZ
Nvidia 8600gt 256mb
2GB RAM.

Anyway, im not looking to play it on super high settings, just at a point that has nice FPS to Graphics ratio.

You would massively benefit from having a quad core CPU for games like GTA IV

My PC can play it at a decent speed but I would want to play it at a smooth 60FPS - if not atleast 40FPS everywhere lol..

-3 or 4GB RAM
-ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2

Thanks

Hang on, google images seems to indicate that that motherboard only has 1 PCIe slot, so you can only install 1 graphics card.
Quote from V3R73X :Hang on, google images seems to indicate that that motherboard only has 1 PCIe slot, so you can only install 1 graphics card.

The X2 in the name means it's a dual-GPU card, it still needs only one PCIe slot on the motherboard.
Quote from E.Reiljans :The X2 in the name means it's a dual-GPU card, it still needs only one PCIe slot on the motherboard.

oooooh, fail on my behalf lol. cheers guys.
Quote from E.Reiljans :The X2 in the name means it's a dual-GPU card, it still needs only one PCIe slot on the motherboard.

+ i dont have 2 or dont need 2.
Motherboard is now on its way, should be here tomorrow or saturday and i'll get some pictures/videos when its up
Quote from Omar1 :Motherboard is now on its way, should be here tomorrow or saturday and i'll get some pictures/videos when its up

I defiantly recommend that you over clock the CPU, not sure how far the E7400 can go though, I reckon you could easily get 3.2GHz. Not on the stock cooling fan though.. if you want a cheap cooler then I'd recommend a Cooler Master 212 Evo

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ ... ;catid=57&subcat=1395

I have the older 212 Plus on my E8400 and I can get to 3.85GHz no problem - could get 4.25GHz but due to my motherboard I can't give it any more voltage to keep it stable (I'm way within the safe boundary that Intel rates it to)
We'll see, i might clock it a little if i need to
Motherboard is here! Trying to get the old one out, but i rounded a screw and its the last one left god damn it!
It's all setup now, plugged in etc. Im running 2GB ram for now.
It was working fine, i installed software for my wireless adapter but now it freezes during the windows is starting screen. There's like a small flash and then it stops.

Help please ASAP!
Upgrade
I need some advice please.

I want to upgrade my PC.

My actual CPU is 775 intel dual core E2500 OCd to 3GHz.

I want to buy new CPU (cheap) and I want to know your opinion to NOT upgrade it with non Intel Core ix but with some Dual Core 115 CPu for example Intel Pentium G2130.

I also want a GPU upgrade. I have GTX 260 and I can Buy GTX 470 from friend for $75 or new GTX 660 for $250.
What to buy IYO?

Is it good to have SLI and two GPUs or one better GPU and cheaper MB ?

Thanks for your help.
Quote from Klouczech :I need some advice please.

I want to upgrade my PC.

I want to buy new CPU (cheap) and I want to know your opinion to NOT upgrade it with non Intel Core ix but with some Dual Core 115 CPu for example Intel Pentium G2130.

I also want a GPU upgrade. I have GTX 260 and I can Buy GTX 470 from friend for $75 or new GTX 660 for $250.
What to buy IYO?

Is it good to have SLI and two GPUs or one better GPU and cheaper MB ?

Thanks for your help.

It is better to have SLI, but you have to invest a lot more... MB, strong power supply, 2 GPUs etc. Can't tell about the CPU thing, but if you are interested in GTX 470 I can provide some personal feelings as I own one - actually I have phenom II X4 965 CPU which might be the reason - I am playing almost every game maxed out with all the DX11 features enabled and sometimes also using AA at my 1920x1200 resolution, including Crysis 1 and 2. So you might wanna consider buying it cheap. For example Far Cry 3, absolutely no problem, maxed out 1920x1200, 4x MSAA, 35FPS etc ... The only game I have some problem with is the actual Crysis 3 build, I cannot play on ulta but just on high. I think this card is well worth this low price. I'd say you have to built "SLI ready" gaming PC, buy the GTX 470 and then after couple of years just buy another GPU to get extraordinary FPS... I am not an expert either but buying a dual core would not be the best bet with cards above. You need equally good CPU to run high FPS with good GPU. But I'll let this to others...
Quote from Mysho :It is better to have SLI, but you have to invest a lot more... MB, strong power supply, 2 GPUs etc. Can't tell about the CPU thing, but if you are interested in GTX 470 I can provide some personal feelings as I own one - actually I have phenom II X4 965 CPU which might be the reason - I am playing almost every game maxed out with all the DX11 features enabled and sometimes also using AA at my 1920x1200 resolution, including Crysis 1 and 2. So you might wanna consider buying it cheap. For example Far Cry 3, absolutely no problem, maxed out 1920x1200, 4x MSAA, 35FPS etc ... The only game I have some problem with is the actual Crysis 3 build, I cannot play on ulta but just on high. I think this card is well worth this low price. I'd say you have to built "SLI ready" gaming PC, buy the GTX 470 and then after couple of years just buy another GPU to get extraordinary FPS... I am not an expert either but buying a dual core would not be the best bet with cards above. You need equally good CPU to run high FPS with good GPU. But I'll let this to others...

Thanks.
When you have two different GPU cards in SLI, the worse one work only on Physics....
I will buy some MB SLI ready anyway
Basically, SLI is king if you already have one old SLI capable card and find a second one cheap from the used markets for a bit of a performance kick, or if you're really in to synthetic benchmarking and overclocking. Two new cards is really only good if you're running multiple monitors at über high resolutions and no single GPU card can deliver the performance.

Single GPU is always the more consistent option for gaming compared to multiple GPUs. So try to go for the fastest single GPU that your budget allows. I should also mention SLI is much better than AMDs crossfire, but they all have their problems, as near 100% performance scaling is really only happening in benchmark software.
Quote from Matrixi :GPU

Thanks for answer. My plan is to run one 27 2560x1440 monitor. After that the Oculus Rift

Quote from Klouczech :I need some advice please.

I want to upgrade my PC.

I want to buy new CPU (cheap) and I want to know your opinion to NOT upgrade it with non Intel Core ix but with some Dual Core 1155 CPU for example Intel Pentium G2130.

Thanks for your help.

What about 775 Dual Core CPU and 1155 CPU comparison?

1155 CPU dual core are really cheap. I know that Intel Core ix are better but not all game can use all cores and its quite expensive.

Good gaming pc?
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG