The online racing simulator
Intel have spoken
(274 posts, started )
the devs can get more people on their team. they dont want people on their team because they have a plan already and they want to do things their selves. plus we don't know what goes on behind scenes.
Quote from Gabkicks :the devs can get more people on their team. they dont want people on their team because they have a plan already and they want to do things their selves. plus we don't know what goes on behind scenes.

Do they have a plan? Could you tell me what plan is that? Cause I'm hearing about this bs for 3 years and I still don't know what plan they have, but I'd like to know.

ISI has a plan, and have followed it since the begin.

Once I ask god what was his plan, but I was fulminated here by his angels. You must never ask god what is his plan, and you must never doubt!
lol how is it bs? the plan is to steadily improve LFS. its not happening very quickly... but at least its happening. You really think SCAVIER just sits on their ass most of the time and then once every year or so they spend a few days doing some coding for new content? or do you think they are working year round?

lfs has some features other sims dont. and its missing some features other sims have... but at least things are being added... unlike in other sims, LFS is a work in progress atm.
I don't know how you can really compaire LFS to ISI sims. ISI is a full blown corporation, who's #1 goal is to fill their coffers. While the Devs do make money off LFS it cannot be that much considering the fact that LFS is 1/3 of the cost of any ISI game.

Anyone can make a computer game. Community is where it's at and there is nothing anywhere in the world where you can have such a cool community in any game =) I know many people that have made events, quizzes, and other stuff for demo guys so they can get the full program for free.

Has anyone ever tried to find a pick-up race in GTR? RFactor? Goodluck, virtually every server is passworded and you must be a member of a club to gain entry. Then if you do manage to find a server chances are they are not going to be good drivers because the good ones are all on the club servers...

Rfactor 2 is being developed ATM, it's going to cost the price of a full game supposedly, ISI have been using the same physics coding for years now, on top of that modders have full access to the physics so most cars in Rfactor end up driving like total pants. I have yet to feel the wheel go light under oversteering in RF, in ANY car including the cars made by ISI.

Sure it's nice to have boatloads of cars and tracks, there is over 10 gig worth ATM, it took me a month of downloading off and on to get them all, I won't even touch a mod now until there is a patch for it, sometimes 2. Some of the tracks are done very well, but IMO there just isn't enough controls on the mods and people end up making junk on the whole.
Modders don't have full access to physics in rFactor, physics are what they are and modders can change mainly inertia from physics, rest is car parts like tires and suspension etc.

Mind you, ISI's own cars are not handling very good or realistic (ZR for example)

One good tip is to stay clear of mods that are in hall of fame, mods end up there with two things, pretty gfx and lot of pretty screenshots released before mod release, one or two exceptions just confirms this.

But what you would except when majority of players are immature hormone driven teens or even younger kids that don't have never even driven cars, then there is few exceptions again.
The remake of Jeremy Clarkson:

"If I was to compare Live For Speed and rFactor, It would be like comparing a Koeingsegg CCXR to a Lada"
Quote from JTbo :Modders don't have full access to physics in rFactor, physics are what they are and modders can change mainly inertia from physics, rest is car parts like tires and suspension etc.

Mind you, ISI's own cars are not handling very good or realistic (ZR for example)

One good tip is to stay clear of mods that are in hall of fame, mods end up there with two things, pretty gfx and lot of pretty screenshots released before mod release, one or two exceptions just confirms this.

But what you would except when majority of players are immature hormone driven teens or even younger kids that don't have never even driven cars, then there is few exceptions again.

Hehe yeah there are exceptions to everything =) But then why would I want to play something with the exceptions when good drivers are far more common in LFS IMO =)

ISI's cars are decent and better than any of the other mods you can get, but they are still lacking IMO, but then it's all down to personal preference and which pieces you prefer to miss out on =)
Quote from Viper93 :Hehe yeah there are exceptions to everything =) But then why would I want to play something with the exceptions when good drivers are far more common in LFS IMO =)

ISI's cars are decent and better than any of the other mods you can get, but they are still lacking IMO, but then it's all down to personal preference and which pieces you prefer to miss out on =)

Yes and I have found out that controllers seem to divide opinions here too, with Momo wheel ISI cars seem to feel fine in some aspects (still they don't seem to weight anything), but with some realistic wheel setting like G25 they seem to be more than little off.

I have not raced online in rFactor more than 10 times total, but in LFS a lot and lot more I will when I just have time, so it is not racing I get from rFactor, but something totally different what LFS can't give, creating cars and learning lot from setting up car in that process
"LFS is 1/3 of the cost of any ISI game"

Dunno what logic u use here, but rFactor costed approximately the same as LFS s2 for me. 284 NOK vs 279 NOK (Norwegian Kroner).

That compared to Simbin games which costs around 400 NOK.
Quote from frankwer :"LFS is 1/3 of the cost of any ISI game"

Dunno what logic u use here, but rFactor costed approximately the same as LFS s2 for me. 284 NOK vs 279 NOK (Norwegian Kroner).

That compared to Simbin games which costs around 400 NOK.

Product lifetime vs price, I believe? ISI physics upgrade is that full game price as they sell new game when they upgrade engine, kind of F1CS -> rFactor -> rFactor2???

But that is just my guess what he did meant.

Price / online km is going to LFS for sure, I have not driven a lot compared to some but surely lot more than in rFactor, somehow online part of that does not feel so good.
There is people thinking that S3 will be for free...

rF x LFS is an old discussion, and it is really idiot to discuss, mainly considering this is a LFS place and the voices are not fair distributed, but there are things that CANNOT BE SAID:

"Has anyone ever tried to find a pick-up race in GTR? RFactor? Goodluck, virtually every server is passworded and you must be a member of a club to gain entry. Then if you do manage to find a server chances are they are not going to be good drivers because the good ones are all on the club servers..."

There is no one unique time that I cannot get in a server every time I start any game above!

-------------------------------------------------

"But what you would except when majority of players are immature hormone driven teens or even younger kids that don't have never even driven cars, then there is few exceptions again."

Another lie. The majority of players of rfactor, gtr2 and gtl community are made of mature users, many of them more than 40 old, and many drivers from real racing world. Here in brazil LFS community is made in its majority by teenagers while rF and GTR is the opposite, and I think this is a fact in the rest of the world.

"ISI is a full blown corporation, who's #1 goal is to fill their coffers."

They dont sell t-shirts, pass for dl skins or stuffs like that. They make a good simulator, with better netcode and free for mod. If they are a bit more smart than LFS team to make money it is an advantage for them, not a reason for shame or critics.

and blablabla
Quote from Speed Soro :
"But what you would except when majority of players are immature hormone driven teens or even younger kids that don't have never even driven cars, then there is few exceptions again."

Another lie. The majority of players of rfactor, gtr2 and gtl community are made of mature users, many of them more than 40 old, and many drivers from real racing world. Here in brazil LFS community is made in its majority by teenagers while rF and GTR is the opposite, and I think this is a fact in the rest of the world.

There is some very nice guys and lot of real racers too, but how many illegal copies there is and if we count those as players too (as those do download mods and vote which is good and not, hence are part of community) I believe number goes to teens.

I know many nice guys from forums, but quite lot of players never visit forums at all, so I believe that you have mistaken a bit and forgot these? Or then what I believe from piracy is totally wrong.
Of course we can argue who is part of community and who is not, if only those who are on forums and races online are part of community then you are absolutely right, most are very nice guys and very mature too.

Those who race online and specially those who race in leagues are just as nice people as in LFS, also if you stick to hall of fame mods you find lot of pickup races, however if you preference is something else, then there is lot less to choose from.

However for some rFactor is better to race with and for some LFS, that is just personal preference imo and we can't say something is bad to all as bad for some is good for another.
Quote from Speed Soro :T

A fact yes

what are the stats for rfactor? how much larger is the lfs community than rfactor's?
Quote from Gabkicks :what are the stats for rfactor? how much larger is the lfs community than rfactor's?

They don't publicly show this data from what I have seen, but it's fractions of LFS, something like 150 or so during peak IIRC, RF and GTR2 are about the same. I could be totally off with these figures, there's alot of private servers in both games that are very active... the reverse of LFS where most of the servers are public.
Both have more players, but most play offline, thus why LFS has the biggest multi-player in sim racing
Quote from Viper93 :They don't publicly show this data from what I have seen, but it's fractions of LFS, something like 150 or so during peak IIRC, RF and GTR2 are about the same. I could be totally off with these figures, there's alot of private servers in both games that are very active... the reverse of LFS where most of the servers are public.

At the moment there is ~280 racers online in rFactor.
Quote from Gabkicks :what are the stats for rfactor? how much larger is the lfs community than rfactor's?

Unhappíly I cant perform a search in the RSC forum, but two years ago I opened a thread with the title " I'm 42, and you?" and after some days I made a pizza graph where the distribution of the age showed that the average simdrivers of that community was around 35-40 old.

That thread was active more than one year after its initial date, and grew a lot, and the average age remained the same.

About the numbers of the rF community I really don't know where to find.

I belong much more to the LFS community than rF, but one thing I know: just like me, there are many people who belong to both and more, and the average age tends to increase, cause the firsts teenagers are getting old and them don't leave the simracing.

Other thing that for me is a fact cause I have heard and lived with (but I have no numbers to affirm my assumption), is that LFS community is one that less has grown, except a little vegetative growing. I repeat, this information is just my feelings, being a LFS player for 3 years and living togheter. But I'd like to see numbers to confirm.

And the reason that had made people leave LFS is the veeeeeery slow development in those things that people really expects, such as physics and new tracks.

For me, worse than LFS development it is just NKP development. At least Scawen is alive and talking with us...

But, if it is the plan, it is the plan.

I think Intel has made a correct choice with rFactor. It looks better, sounds better, and runs better with Core 2 Duo hehehe. Who mind if it has or not better force feedback
Yes, if we think about money, surely ISI was better choice for intel, bigger team and their product is more pretty to show off.

I believe part of slow development of LFS is that devs don't like to work their arses off (meaning there is brakes from working), like they have had to done before. ISI has bit easier situation, they have big team, also their product was pretty much done already so all they needed to do was to add little this and that.

There is few others that are using both sims, me included
Mooo
Quote from ButterTyres :I have to say the same thing here, the MIF Team is nigh on dead due to that. We have been somewhat inventive and tried to have leagues and stuff, but there's just not enough movement on the project to keep us fully interested.

I've come back lately due to the CityLife project which I find adds a new twist to LFS and hopefully will keep me going until there is a good update to the game (not that the latest patch wasn't a good update, just not so much of the core stuff was updated, cars, tracks physics stuff like that).

I haven't played RFactor and don't intend to buy it, downloading the F1 demo for a eval though....

Well said Butter, as has been said before nothing quite hits the ffb feel of lfs, best i find is GT5 on the PS3 but its still not quite got it like lfs, YUP big problem is lack of any development or updates of any on the site
Welcome back thread.
lagpost?
6 years of lag, now that's lag.

Intel have spoken
(274 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG