The online racing simulator
@amp88: Very nice progress for a beginner, just keep practicing!

@majod: Please post higher resolution of that, would really like to use that as my desktop.
Quote from doyal :http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8101/8458711139_1e9b774109_c.jpg

Oh god that poor camera
Attached images
IMG_4853_1k.jpg
Cool.

It's just so high res :3

Wonderful photos Don.

Attached images
IMG_7010.jpg
IMG_2380_1k.jpg
Larkhall Karting 17th February 2013
Some shots from the first round of the Davidson Busway's Challenge at Larkhall from Sunday. As before, I'm still very much learning and karts are really a challenging subject to shoot (at least for me...). Anyway, there was plenty of action on track - lots of different classes each with some practice, heat races and a final. I was allowed to sign on (thanks to the officials) and get more freedom to roam than last time, when I stayed outside the barriers and was shooting from trackside. I wanted to try and get shots from plenty of different positions and really try a few things out. For more information on karting from Larkhall check out the West of Scotland Kart Club website.

As always, I'm open to any constructive criticism and feedback you're willing to give me. Thanks for reading.

Full Gallery

The blur effect is a bit too unnatural, IMO.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :The blur effect is a bit too unnatural, IMO.

I wouldn't say it's a blur effect - IMO, these are some great panning shots!
Quote from DeadWolfBones :The blur effect is a bit too unnatural, IMO.

By "unnatural" do you mean they look fake (as though the blur was added in post processing) or do you mean you just don't like the look (and it doesn't matter whether the blur is real or was added in PP)?

The reason I ask is because someone has already replied to a post with the same images on a photography forum and he didn't think the blur was real (he thought it was done in post).

In any case, I didn't post process any blur into the images; the background blur is all real and all from panning with relatively low shutter speeds (most of the images are between 1/60th-100th of a second) and the high speed of the karts.

Quote from smove :I wouldn't say it's a blur effect - IMO, these are some great panning shots!

Thanks
Quote from amp88 :By "unnatural" do you mean they look fake (as though the blur was added in post processing) or do you mean you just don't like the look (and it doesn't matter whether the blur is real or was added in PP)?

The reason I ask is because someone has already replied to a post with the same images on a photography forum and he didn't think the blur was real (he thought it was done in post).

It looks really strange in, for example, these shots (because all of the karts are presumably going in the same direction, at similar speed):

But I know and trust you, so I'll just say "cool."

Nice work!
Quote from DeadWolfBones :It looks really strange in, for example, these shots (because all of the karts are presumably going in the same direction, at similar speed)

Ahh, got you. Now I understand. I think the confusion is because of the shape of the track and my position at the time. For those shots I wasn't standing perpendicular to the track, so the distance that the first kart travels in the length of the shutter speed period is different to that of the following karts. With the first image (the progression of 4 karts) you can see them each getting progressively blurrier because they're travelling relatively less distance compared to my panning (which is supposed to be in harmony with the first kart). At least, I think that's why. I've added an attachment showing the track shape with my (very) approximate position and angle of view.

Quote from DeadWolfBones :But I know and trust you, so I'll just say "cool."

Nice work!

No problem, I just didn't understand what you meant (and in conjunction with the other poster voicing a somewhat similar concern I was baffled).
Attached images
track-shape-angle-of-view.jpg

Camera Showoff
(5560 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG