The online racing simulator
What would make LFS more Playable?
It is a credit to the developers of LFS that since its last major update with S2 that the sim title has remained so popular, with some content awaiting release such as the the VW Scirocco and the Rockingham Track.

While the curent list of cars is quite varied for the different types of classes for me it would be more variety in tracks. I always like more opportunities to experience the LFS Physics system in different environments.

The popularity of LFS has always been more than having a sim title with pretty graphics or laser scanned content. The Community base is one attribute that will always bring new members no matter how new or old the title is.

What would you see make LFS more playable for both newcomers and existing members?
New developers
#3 - col
(aside from a new PC, a new Wheel, and a time machine to return to the CTRA's hayday), the thing that would do it for me would be improved engine sounds. Not a switch to samples, but an updated version of the existing approach with improved acoustic physical modelling of the engine and exhaust systems.
Quote :While the curent list of cars is quite varied for the different types of classes for me it would be more variety in tracks.

Am I missing something?
Offline driving?
Quote from Gutholz :Am I missing something?

Sorry I wasn't sure what the image was in reference to?

I did have a little break from lfs as mentioned in a previous post, since then i've been joining in with the drifting servers. But it doesn't mean I wasn't following the racing and lfs content

Here are my total LFS stats:
Make the XRT, FXO and possibly RB4 feel more like touring cars (the touring cars that were in the BTCC in 1997, not the modern touring cars),

make the MRT feel like a go kart

and make the FZR, XRR and FXR feel like DTM cars.

And maybe a few more racing tracks such as Knock Hill...
Quote from eddy678 :Make the XRT, FXO and possibly RB4 feel more like touring cars (the touring cars that were in the BTCC in 1997, not the modern touring cars),

make the MRT feel like a go kart

and make the FZR, XRR and FXR feel like DTM cars.

And maybe a few more racing tracks such as Knock Hill...

Extending off your ideas I would love to see WTCC 87 cars being included, i'd love to see the Alfa Romeo and BMW manufacturers coming in too.
polepositiondriver, the picture was in response to you wanting more variety in tracks. Out of curiosity I went to lfsworld and from stats found it hard to think you can already be bored of existing tracks.
For example on South City, highest lap count is 25 laps with UFR on "Classic" layout. 25 laps, that is one 30minutes race. All the other south city layout/car combs you have driven ~5 laps and thats it. Often only 1 lap. Similiar on the other tracks.

Quote : Here are my total LFS stats:

Yes, but 827 laps in5 years is not much, even with break.
Maybe when drifting it does not count travelled distance and laps correctly, so in reality you have driven more, still...:

Quote :But it doesn't mean I wasn't following the racing and lfs content

Maybe too much following and not enough racing?
Maybe you did drifting, maybe you did hotlapping or offline races against AI. But from these numbers it seems you missed the biggest part of LFS: online racing.
Quote from polepositiondriver :Sorry I wasn't sure what the image was in reference to?

I did have a little break from lfs as mentioned in a previous post, since then i've been joining in with the drifting servers. But it doesn't mean I wasn't following the racing and lfs content

Here are my total LFS stats:

you barely drive 4k miles and you ask "What whould make LFS more playable"???

sigh
Agreed, those stats are nothing with 4 years of membership.

On the other hand there is not much to do in Australia. Send some sun this way; vitamin D to the devs.. Probably helping a lot.
Quote from Gutholz :polepositiondriver, the picture was in response to you wanting more variety in tracks. Out of curiosity I went to lfsworld and from stats found it hard to think you can already be bored of existing tracks.
For example on South City, highest lap count is 25 laps with UFR on "Classic" layout. 25 laps, that is one 30minutes race. All the other south city layout/car combs you have driven ~5 laps and thats it. Often only 1 lap. Similiar on the other tracks.

Yes, but 827 laps in5 years is not much, even with break.
Maybe when drifting it does not count travelled distance and laps correctly, so in reality you have driven more, still...:

Maybe too much following and not enough racing?
Maybe you did drifting, maybe you did hotlapping or offline races against AI. But from these numbers it seems you missed the biggest part of LFS: online racing.

All very valid points, I have no problems with the current tracks that are on there and will happy keep using them. It wasn't designed to be an attack on the current content, but just thought of how it may be more playable for newcomers getting into it too.

I do wish I had a bit more time to just concentrate specifically on LFS but with work being quite busy and other components of life with 4 years of studying requiring attention I am not always able to do as much racing as i'd like.

And most definitely within 5 years 827 laps isn't much at all, you've done some incredible figures with lap times and results. Credit to you.

I am sorry if it came out as a negative thing that I wanted more tracks and there is so much to enjoy in the current version (as you mentioned i've only seen a small part).

You've given me that extra drive to start racing again

Thanks
Quote from Inouva :you barely drive 4k miles and you ask "What whould make LFS more playable"???

sigh

Yeah I can understand where you are coming from, it was only sharing some input into the community.

Quote from cargame.nl :Agreed, those stats are nothing with 4 years of membership.

On the other hand there is not much to do in Australia. Send some sun this way; vitamin D to the devs.. Probably helping a lot.

Your right compared to everyone elses they aren't that great, but when I was in my zone I was on LFS in both Cruise, Drift and Offline Practice for 5-6 hours a day. The figures unfortuntely didn't show my enjoyment.

For personal reasons unfortunately I had required a break from a number of aspects of life which is why my figures don't look that great.

Haha its not bad at all down in Australia, we have heaps of Vitamin D which we'll be sure to send down the devs way.
What I found in LFS is the fact that the more you drive (and get to know the tracks) the more enjoyable it gets. Maybe that is the answer to your question on a personal level. Since you've just covered a very limited amount of kilometers, it may apply to you as well. Hope you see my point and feel the joy after some more laps on those same circuits. Happy driving mate!
Quote from Ingolf :What I found in LFS is the fact that the more you drive (and get to know the tracks) the more enjoyable it gets. Maybe that is the answer to your question on a personal level. Since you've just covered a very limited amount of kilometers, it may apply to you as well. Hope you see my point and feel the joy after some more laps on those same circuits. Happy driving mate!

I can see where your coming from. Maybe the question in the first place may have been more about me asking about how I can get more out of my LFS experience.

The last few months i've been active again on iRacing and with a new car and new track I do find myself saying "i'm never going to get my laps down" and question why I keep spinning out or braking too late. After a while though it all came down to practice and as a result it did become more enjoyable.

I'm going to fire up LFS tonight (its in the afternoon here in Australia) and start practicing for some events.

Can anyone recommend from first experience a good Race Server to start off with?

Thanks for all the comments.
Quote :Maybe the question in the first place may have been more about me asking about how I can get more out of my LFS experience.

In that case the answer is simple: drive more races.

For example next one could be this:
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=82068 (already tommorrow/today)
Fun fact: If you practice for 20 minutes then drive quali and race, your lapcount on Aston track will have doubled
Quote from Gutholz :In that case the answer is simple: drive more races.

For example next one could be this:
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=82068 (already tommorrow/today)
Fun fact: If you practice for 20 minutes then drive quali and race, your lapcount on Aston track will have doubled

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to check the event and take part in those events more.
Quote from ACCAkut :
There should be a sort of Cup class for every car (or car class), maybe combined with the restricted setup options that Scawen is trying to create.
Those cars should be able to wear slicks (and maybe offroad tires), have rollcages and all the fancy setup options that we have now on the road cars, just like typical race cars in series' like the VLN or WTCC/BTCC.

Roadcars should be limited to todays tire selection and a fairly basic suspension kit (hard, middle, soft instead of 0.00001% adjustability, no customizable gearbox and steering, but variable tire pressure etc).

In my opinion this would be much more realistic than today's system, I mean I haven't seen a race car with fully build suspension that still ran on road tires/semi slicks (apart from Street Legal Time Attack maybe).
And It would make Multi class races easier, since the corner speed difference wouldn't be as big as atm, so that blue flag duels would be fought more on the straights/corner exits based on engine power and not just grip on corner entry. At the same time the GTRs could get a bit more power, like 100hp+, to match similar real world cars from say the GT1 series (which at the same time makes room for GT2/GT3 classes under it based on restrictions).

I've tested the TBO with R-tires stuff with Slickmod, they are fine cars to drive, even tho as tippy as the NGTs.

A system were users can create and share there own tracks.
#20 - Xone
s3 content and faster developers
#21 - Be2K
Quote from Xone :s3 content and faster developers

Some Tracks would more then enough for the next 1 or 2 Years but bashing the speed of development is sensless as hell.. And the decision from Scawen to wait releasing something until the new tyre physics is finished, is more than obsolete
Quote from Lordbucket :A system were users can create and share there own tracks.

Quote from Xone :s3 content and faster developers

Combination of both would be nice.

I think the average Joe produces more and better content than Eric has done so far.

Isn't that the whole success of rFactor for example?

Only pain in the ass would be the online part of LFS with unofficial mods, so perhaps not such a good idea after all in that way.
A track with a loop in it would be pretty cool.
New graphics engine, new sound engine, 24h environment w/ weather and dynamic grip levels, new cars of different types, new tracks areas (not just layouts).
Tracks.
There are enough cars, the graphics are ok and the physics accurate enough.
New physics will not make this game survive he bite of the time.

What would make LFS more Playable?
(52 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG