The online racing simulator
Rascal Rider - a game in the making
(46 posts, started )
If anyone of you is interested in following the developement of a game other than LFS, which as we all know can be as exciting as playing the game itself , than I am happy to announce that we are working with our team on the Rascal Rider game that will feel something like that to play:

Future. Motorcycles. Violence. Speed. Arcade style. Not a sim by any means, especially with all the arsenal we are preparing. So if you ever wanted to do some motorcycle racing with machetes and guns, then Rascal Rider is the game you are waiting for.
Alongside with concept arts like the one above, and this one:

we are also working on a comic story set in the game world. And yes, we are having fun with this.
If you want to keep an eye on the project just have a look at the http://www.cameleon-labs.com. Otherwise just ignore the news, simple as that, just wanted to share something I really enjoy working on
#2 - JJ72
Have fun with it!
Quote from JJ72 :Have fun with it!

thx
we are still in the stage when you have much more fun than frustration, so we are trying to enjoy it as much as possible
Heh nice artwork, but not quite what I would call the impish behaviour of a mere "rascal", perhaps reconsider that one. "Rascal" is what you might call a little 5 year old kid who you find is playing harmless pranks on his grandfather :-)
Road Rash anyone?
even tho its not directly new, good luck hope to see some demo some time!
thx for the feedback guys

the "rascal" thing is tricky, just like any word with more than one simple meaning, anything is still possible at this stage, maybe we will need to put some more emphasis on the title origin to make it sound right... we will do some thinking about it

as for the Road Rash didn't know the title, just checked it on youtube however we don't find it a problem, our setting is going to be a little bit different, it's closer to what the Romans did in Coloseum, and that inspiration is more than 2000 years old
Nice to hear that small independent studios still adventure into this business. Wish you best of luck
#8 - Vain
Good luck to you! Post gameplay as soon as you have it.

Also: Here's a fun link you may be interested in, if you didn't know it already. I don't think people should be allowed to make games without watching those at least twice.

Vain
Judging after one episode, that Penny Arcade thing looks interesting. Will watch some more, thx for the link.

And I must say I love your signature, used to have the same one on some other forum some time ago
Rage Rider
Just a small update on our project, for those who showed some intrest a few months ago. There are a few new concept arts that are focused on colors and overall mood (3 of them below), and we are working on the game assets and some code. In the next weeks the first story teaser will be released, a motion comic style trailer, and we will start showing some game assets as well.

We have also set-up a profile for the Rascal Rider on IndieDB.com (this made the whole thing kind of "official") so if anyone is interested in indie games and would like to watch the project (and some others) here's the link: http://www.indiedb.com/games/rascal-rider. You will find much more information over there in the next weeks. You can also find us on facebook if you are interested in following the development process: https://www.facebook.com/cameleonlabs

Or simply enjoy the concept arts below

looks really cool, good luck with your project.
You should think about implementing a team system for single player and offline so that you can protect each other and work together.
Quote from Mustangman759 :looks really cool, good luck with your project.
You should think about implementing a team system for single player and offline so that you can protect each other and work together.

and this is the kind of feedback that you count on when you talk about your ideas
A system requirement whould be nice to know for pc.

Also is any date release for the android version?
looks like those old star wars bike races
Perhaps with a bit of the old Speed Racer thrown in there too. Really nice artwork (again). For me these sorts of games can be fun, but no matter how cool the weaponry or effects are, in the end it comes down to how fun the bike/car actually is to drive/ride. Getting that sense of responsiveness and on the edge handling, whilst still being safe/playable enough is not easy.
As for the system specification the game is made with Unity engine, so considering very flexible quality options, PC specs will should not be any issue. And performance is one our main intrests. The mobile version and PC/Mac/Linux will differ in assets quality and overall richness, but developing the same gameplay mechanics with mobile in mind we are putting a lot of focus on performance.
Unity is a brilliant tool when it comes to cross-platform development, and we are going to take the full advantage of that to create a trully cross-platform gameplay. Not only players from different platforms will be able to play together, but first off all you can play your game, with your account/character on your mobile and on your PC, depending where you are and how you like it at the moment.
We are planning for the release date around december this year. However there are a few factors that can make it easier or harder to accomplish. The most important one is financing, which will decide how much manpower will be put into the project in the next months.
Getting the handling right is still ahead of us. We have our own motorcycle "physics" at the moment, and we are having some test tracks. In a game like this the handling you are aiming for is strongly connected to the tracks profiles and configurations. That's true, it is not easy to get it right, but we did not expect it to be
When can we expect this?
Quote from Bmxtwins :When can we expect this?

Quote :We are planning for the release date around december this year

read again.
Put some Supersport bikes in it, brings back roadrash
Supersport, street fighters, cafe racers... there will quite a few types of bikes in the game to choose from. The designs will try to fit somewhere around contemporary concept motorcycles, so they will be a bit more radical than what's allowed in the streets right now.
I wish you the best of luck with this, as a fellow games coder. Your concepts look great.

I'm working on a new game too but I won't derail your thread with news of it. I'll make a thread of my own when it's worth doing so.

I think the days of one or two people knocking out a game just aren't possible anymore except for very simple projects, and I think that fact has transformed the indi games industry into a more commercial endeavor now. Even on my own game I have put a budget together of about $8000 to see it realised because there are aspects I lack the skill set to do myself.

So may I ask are you working as a small team in your spare time, or as part of a studio with funding?
Quote from Becky Rose :I wish you the best of luck with this, as a fellow games coder. Your concepts look great.

I'm working on a new game too but I won't derail your thread with news of it. I'll make a thread of my own when it's worth doing so.

Is it a racing sim by any chance?

(46 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG