The online racing simulator
Well, just to clear things up..

The N9 runs MeeGo, a highly optimized OS based on Linux and is just like a computer. Whatever you do on a computer, you can easily do with it. So you can, for instance, install Android 4.1 on it (multiple systems boot) if you want to and take advantage of all apps and games for Android with all your 1GB of RAM...

In fact, you could install Android 4.1 on the N9 so much earlier than the update for any other Android phone that it seemed silly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55_Tm0QLYlY
(You can also remove the warranty notice, by the way)

I've purchased an N9 myself (and am anxiously waiting for its arrival this week!), but I love MeeGo so I'll be using it for daily activities and if I want a game that isn't available for it I just reboot the phone on Android and enjoy the game.

Symbian isn't dead either. The phones with old hardware (680Mhz processor and 256MB of RAM, +32MB dedicated GPU, the N8, X7, E6, C7, Nokia 500) will still get bug fixes and few updates until 2016. They have already received a LOT of updates since the first version, specially 2010's N8 which was last updated (Belle Refresh) not long ago (1 month? I don't remember) and have changed so much in the mean time you could say it's a totally different phone.

But the phones with the latest hardware (1.3Ghz processor, 512MB RAM, +256MB dedicated GPU) will get feature updates and software updates until 2016 (Nokia 808 PureView, Nokia 701, Nokia 700, I may be missing some others).

I wanted an 808 but I didn't purchase it because the N9 is that much more special and useful (it's too much money to spend on Symbian, even though the phone is great, I'm way too used with Symbian to get yet another Symbian phone).

Nokia Asha doesn't run Symbian, it runs Series 40 OS (recently renamed "Nokia OS") and it has not gotten an end-of-line warning at all: Nokia is still pushing it as far as it can.
Its Symbian Anna under Nokia OS name I think.

My mother has a C2-06 (predecessor of Asha's I believe) model with touchscreen and its horrible I must admit.

From what I've heard, installing Android to N9 is not the best idea, it just doesn't work properly and usually loses crucial functions like phone calls, SMS messaging and etc (maybe if done wrong, but most cases ended up like that).
Quote from TexasLTU :You're wrong, N9 runs on MeeGo. And Symbian is only continued on Asha series phones and Belle users (as for Nokia 500, 700, 701 or 808 Clearback) should (?) receive updates to improve performance.

I have a Lumia myself (710), and I'm not sure which apps are missing (compared to iOS or Android). Instagram can be perfectly changed with Fhotoroom, its the very same Viber (just on beta, calls aren't available yet), its pretty much no difference.

It is as restricted and closed as iOS, but if you developer-unlock you get much more possibilities.

Still, I prefer to go back to Android. There are a lot of apps I miss, and I doubt I can find those in MeeGo either. (Instagram isn't one of them) And I'm already familiar with Android.
I'm not sure about the kernel, but it's Series 40, not Symbian Anna.

Nokia used to classify their OS to "the public" as the UI names. There was UIQ (which also is Symbian), Series 40, Series 60 and some others. The N95, as an example, used Symbian S60v3. 5800 and up had Symbian S60v5 and from the N8 up they are using Symbian^3.

Series 40 is not Symbian, though.

I know it's messy, they have changed nomenclature plenty of times, but to sum it up on the Symbian line:
Symbian^1: S60
- S60v3
- S60v5
Symbian^2: some mostly unknown japanese/chinese phones
Symbian^3: N8 and beyond
- Anna (E6 and beyond)
- Belle (808 and beyond)
-- Belle Refresh (old hardware only)
-- Belle FP1 (new hardware only)
-- Belle FP2 (new hardware only)

You can read the "background" info if you want (it's mostly quick and incomplete, though, for more information you're better off going to wikipedia)
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com ... _Belle_Feature_Pack_2.php
Attached images
fireworks_121105_mb_444ac.jpg
HOSPITALITY in Warsaw

More on Facebook
D700 + Sigma 100-300/4:

Ended up not getting many good shots from the US Grand Prix, but I did get these:

Lucky bastard, Ben.
-
(rockclan) DELETED by rockclan
Got bored last night not had a play with camera for a while so thought I would try light painting for the first time. Not the best but I thought I would share anyway. Green laser pen and cheap head torch used I will deffo be trying more of this

Thought I'd stop by and check out some LFSers' awesome photos! Not disappointed!

Because of the miserably dreary weather we've been having - haven't seen direct sunlight since early December, here! - I've started getting into a bit of light painting. It's great fun!

Love the wire wool work Sam
I've had some kicking around for ages just haven't had the time to do it.

SD.
Very cool stuff, Sam - especially the first picture.
Thanks guys!

Dave, I strongly recommend a pair of goggles and some masks. Had a bit of a bad experience with grade 0000 wire wool. Windy night, got a load of the stuff in my eyes and I suspect in my lungs, too! Took the best part of a week for it to work its way out of my eyes
Fantastic photo's Sam, really pieces of art right there.

I will post some of my crappy photo's here soon.
These are low quality, since I've uploaded them to Facebook.

Reading this thread is awful. So many beautiful pics inline. It's like you guys only know of the [IMG][/IMG] tag. Not the [URL][/URL] tag.

- These pics are fantastic.
I got bitten by the photography bug around the end of last year. After researching for a while I plumped for a 650D with the 18-135mm STM kit lens. I got it delivered on New Year's Eve, but since then the weather hasn't been conducive to a lot of outdoor shooting (well, not without weather-sealed gear anyway ). Yesterday I went out to a (relatively) local autotest event to get my first taste of action shooting. It was very overcast, so with my variable aperture kit lens (3.5-5.6) I was constantly skirting high ISO and spent a lot of the time up around 800-1600. I also didn't have a lot of reach and there were some really bad backgrounds, so I had to aggressively crop a lot of the images. Still, for my first time I'm pleased with how a few of them turned out. I'm thinking of getting a faster 70-200 constant aperture lens in the near future, but I'll see how it goes.

Any constructive criticism (towards composition, technique, choice of position etc) would be welcome.

Full Gallery

Double post (technically) ftw

I took the opportunity yesterday to get to Larkhall kart track and have a look at the open practice in preparation for the race meeting happening in a couple of weeks. Unlike my first motorsport outing above there was more sun out, so that was a bit of a hand.

This was my first time trying to shoot karts and they were moving a LOT faster than the cars at the autotest above (as you'd expect). I was focusing on trying slower shutter speeds and panning (probably around 50% of the shots were taken between 1/30th and 1/100th of a second). I found this very difficult, but I got some shots that I'm pleased with. I left in quite a few shots that aren't quite well matched enough (still have a bit of blur in the main subject) so that I can hopefully see my progression in the future. A mistake I made here was also to spend too much time trying to track subject and not enough making sure the backgrounds were clean. Thus, a few of the panning shots have unpleasant backgrounds.

I also took a number of shots around 1/500th of a second, but on reviewing some of the images I can see this wasn't quite fast enough to freeze the action (something around 1/640th or 1/800th would have been better). I thought 1/500th would have been fast enough and it was difficult to tell on the LCD when reviewing the images between the action.

I was using AI Servo AF again and I noticed that on a significant percentage of the shots (somewhere around 10%), especially with subjects moving towards me, the focus was on the foreground or the background, rather than the intended subject. I wonder if this is relates to some technique problem or a limitation of the lens (18-135mm STM kit lens) and/or body (Canon 650D). I was always tracking the subject with the shutter half pressed before firing the shot, so I HOPE that was the correct thing to do.

I've learned another couple of lessons and got a bit more of an idea what to expect when trying to shoot karts. I'll hopefully get another chance to shoot some practice before the actual race meeting.

As before, I welcome any constructive criticism and feedback you're willing to give me.

Full Gallery

I have a Pentax PZ-10 and a Holga 120n. I'm not a hipster, i just like film. Anyway, for the Pentax i have some terrible 80-200mm f/4.5 lens that I got with the camera on ebay, and a 50mm f/2 lens. Both manual, though the camera supports AF, auto zoom, auto aperture etc. I just don't see a point in spending twice as much just to have an AF lens.

Here is one of the first photos I took with the 50mm lens. I didn't expect to get a good photo at all, I was just testing out the lens. It came pretty well, it's just hard to decide what you want to focus on with such a narrow dof.

Untitled by decaffeinatedjoe, on Flickr
Nice shot, dude.
Something from me.

Camera Showoff
(5560 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG