The online racing simulator
Editing DDS Files
(117 posts, started )
Quote from Inouva :Any idea how to make the .dds of the mudguards from lx4/6 transparent?

I know someon did it some years back with the skins of the cars adding semi transparent channels or smth like that

Any tip is welcome, i'm using photoshop and the plug in from Nvidia.

afaik you need to create a dds with an etxra alpha layer file, google it, last time I used those was in 2004. Worked only for some of the files LFS uses (I still have that FZ5 Targa mod, a dds with transpenrency for the FZ5s roof.
Thanks, gona try it later
Quote from Inouva :Any idea how to make the .dds of the mudguards from lx4/6 transparent?

I know someon did it some years back with the skins of the cars adding semi transparent channels or smth like that

Any tip is welcome, i'm using photoshop and the plug in from Nvidia.

The main layer stays black, but you need to add alpha layers that are white or something, (it's been a while) My sig has the link to instructions (Sunroofs).

Initially I used a windshield dds texture and tried it as a skin dds and then opened that file with photoshop and examined how it all worked (sunscreenALPHA.dds)

It only worked for SKINS though because the file MUST end with the string "ALPHA" eg: FZR_SunroofALPHA.dds

LFS detects files such with this ending string and then unlocks the alpha layers. Some sort of DirectX function I presume.

I've already tried with car interiors and car textures and they don't appear transparent because the filenames are already predetermined. Eg: Interior_1.dds You cannot modify the names to append the "ALPHA" text because then LFS will not locate them correctly.
Quote from JasonJ :The main layer stays black, but you need to add alpha layers that are white or something, (it's been a while) My sig has the link to instructions (Sunroofs).

Initially I used a windshield dds texture and tried it as a skin dds and then opened that file with photoshop and examined how it all worked (sunscreenALPHA.dds)

It only worked for SKINS though because the file MUST end with the string "ALPHA" eg: FZR_SunroofALPHA.dds

LFS detects files such with this ending string and then unlocks the alpha layers. Some sort of DirectX function I presume.

I've already tried with car interiors and car textures and they don't appear transparent because the filenames are already predetermined. Eg: Interior_1.dds You cannot modify the names to append the "ALPHA" text because then LFS will not locate them correctly.

Yes, happens to me too, tryed several tutorials and none of then work to do what i whant

Anyway, thanks for the tips
Quote from OiKiN :Hello,

Were is the dash dds? i cant seem to fine were to edit them, what dds file?

thanx

im going to add a small screenshot showing what i mean... 1 min

Let me be a noob here for a sec, how do i change my player in the car to look like that?
@Inouva: rear mudguards are mapped from the skin & front ones from "Carbon.dds" (which is also used for a bunch of other cars parts).
mipmaps
Hi, is there a way to quicken up the transition speed to the next mipmap?

In videos I have seen the transition to be nearly instant, only needing to walk away or towards the object a little bit ( a few steps and its done its fading transition)

Thanks 1000000!
Chameleon paint
I figured something pretty cool!

you can edit each mipmap in the skins_dds folder to make your own chameleon paint!

Also, you can make realistic decals with reflection (like a chrome sticker) with the Alpha channel, Its the same concept as skins in "that other game"
I think the minimap rendering speed has to do with your hardware and how fast it can process the information, I don't think the speed can be manually adjusted.

Thanks for the tip on Chameleon Paint! I'll give it a go as I've been trying to get the same effect!
Quote from Scawen :[..]By the way, your LFS can convert raw files into dds files. I don't think many people know this technique. If you delete the dds file and you put a raw file of the same name (but .raw instead of .dds) in the pic folder, then LFS will create the dds file for you.

That may be confusing so I'll describe it a different way :

you want a new version of a texture named xxx.dds
save xxx.raw in the pic folder
delete xxx.dds
run LFS - it will create a new file xxx.dds from xxx.raw[..]

Anyone knows if this still works in 0.6E ? And if yes, how ?
I have tried saving .raw from Photoshop ==> Resulting file wasn't auto-converted to dds, and in game I got the "unable to load x.dds file" error
I have tried saving .raw from Irfanview ==> Resulting file wasn't auto-converted to dds, and in game I got the "unable to load x.dds file" error

Thanks.
did you place the raw file in the PICS folder
yeah it still converts them.ive just done a test and it works still. be sure to put the .raw file into the pic folder
Thanks.
you're welcome
Hello I want to customize lets say colorize turn markers, tables with meters to turns... In South City it is easy just by editing CTYmarkers2.dds.
But if i'm editing BLWmarkers1_ALP.dds for Blackwood track I can change only color of numbers, 50, 100, 150, 200 and even if I change backround of markers - in game it is still the same - like in original.
Can anybody say where is the problem?

EDIT> so i find reason... in dds file is one field for backround and it is same for all turn makers, so u can in this file colorize only digits - distance 50, 100, 150 etc with one colour of backround. I dont know why it is not like in South City where u can colorize all each trun marker...
Hi!

Does anyone know what's the source file for these trees in Blackwood?
Attached images
puut.jpg

Editing DDS Files
(117 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG