The online racing simulator
Tyre rolling resistance
(17 posts, started )
#1 - Omar1
Tyre rolling resistance
I was wondering if different tires in LFS have different resistances? Especially between Road_normal and Road_super.

I'm guessing Knobbly will be poor, slowing a car down quickest, i'm wondering also the difference between Road_super and slicks. As slicks have more grip but the lack of tread might decrease resistance. I might do a few tests and a graph, not sure.
-
(Omar1) DELETED by Omar1
i guessed u watched how tyres was made
#3 - Omar1
Quote from Franky.S :i guessed u watched how tyres was made

Yeah, it was very interesting and made me wonder about tyre resistance in LFS
Quote from Omar1 :. As slicks have more grip but the lack of tread might decrease resistance. I might do a few tests and a graph, not sure.

How would you have more "grip" yet less "resistance"? Surely if the tyre is "gripping" the surface better then it will have more "resistance"?...
#5 - Omar1
Im not sure, this is why i want to do some tests, i'll do them soon.
#6 - Omar1
Done a test with an FXO using the standard race set, changed tires, done exactly the same procedure and these are the results (See attachment)

After passing start point, i put the car in neutral, shut off the engine and let it roll.

Result was different that to what i thought it would be!
Attached images
Tyre rollling resistances.jpg
Quote from Anthoop :How would you have more "grip" yet less "resistance"? Surely if the tyre is "gripping" the surface better then it will have more "resistance"?...

Rolling resistance is more do to with how the tyre deforms as it rolls. Grip is mostly how it deforms laterally or how it 'twists up'. The two are linked but not the same.

I don't think LFS bothers simulating rolling resistance as its pretty negligible.
Few months ago I did some testing on LFS cars top speed, usually hybrids were always the slowest ones, mostly about ~1 km/h. Top speed isn't so much influenced by tyre rolling resistance, but by results hybrids obviously have more resistance.
Quote from tristancliffe :Rolling resistance is more do to with how the tyre deforms as it rolls. Grip is mostly how it deforms laterally or how it 'twists up'. The two are linked but not the same.

The question was aimed at Omar....and was to stir his thought process rather than looking for an answer.
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :Few months ago I did some testing on
LFS cars top speed

Very thorough testing! interesting as well.

Quote from Anthoop :to stir his thought process rather than looking for an answer.

You did, but i still wanted to do the tests

Anyway, i sold my wheel this morning and i'll do the slick tests when i get a new one
Done some quick tests:

UF1
start @ 36km/h (10m/s)
Hard track setup (only changing tyres)

Hybrids ------ 460.14 m
Road Normal - 619.27m
Knobbly ----- 603.65m

results should be quite correct since I got for knobbly same result in all 5 tests.

RB4
start @ 36km/h (10m/s)
Hard track setup (only changing tyres)

Road Normal -- 790.07m
Hybrids ------- 569.44m
Knobbly ------ 767.50m
Road Super --- 587.13m
Quote from tristancliffe :I don't think LFS bothers simulating rolling resistance as its pretty negligible.

You would be incorrect. It is modeled, and it is tyre pressure change that made it most apparent to me. It can be quite significant on a car like the FOX, FBM, or MRT. That's why you generally see fast setups using the maximum tyre pressure all around, even if it results in sub-optimal temperatures. They gain more in a straight line due to reduced rolling resistance than they lose in corners due to reduced grip.

Even my old FO8@SO4 WR was rather slow on the straights due to low tyre pressure. My time was beaten just a week or 2 later by someone who went faster on the straights with more downforce and higher tyre pressures.
Nice one! thanks to adding to the thread
What track did you use?
Quote from Omar1 :Nice one! thanks to adding to the thread
What track did you use?

I suggest you using AU3/AU4.
But keep in mind I had idealistic conditions, which you can't achieve in standard LFS.
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :I suggest you using AU3/AU4.
But keep in mind I had idealistic conditions, which you can't achieve in standard LFS.

Hacker?
by idealistic conditions I meant something external appliaction which will execute some script (put to neutral) at exact same node everytime (something similar like in Aonio)
your's seems a lot more sophisticated than mine :P

Tyre rolling resistance
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG