The online racing simulator
help to avoid flat spotting tires?
Any suggestions for avoiding flat spotting tires? In accordance with another post here, I've been using the race_1 setups and working on my driving instead of setups. No matter how carefully I am (with cars that have slicks), I keep flat spotting tires (rears on front drive cars, fronts on rear drive cars). Any suggestions on how not to not flat spot the tires? I am already going so slow and braking early that it is ridiculous. Is this flat spotting happening too easily in this version of LFS? This is very frustrating.
#2 - Woz
Quote from rwkeating :Any suggestions for avoiding flat spotting tires? In accordance with another post here, I've been using the race_1 setups and working on my driving instead of setups. No matter how carefully I am (with cars that have slicks), I keep flat spotting tires (rears on front drive cars, fronts on rear drive cars). Any suggestions on how not to not flat spot the tires? I am already going so slow and braking early that it is ridiculous. Is this flat spotting happening too easily in this version of LFS? This is very frustrating.

Lower you brake pressure settings in your setup or do not brake as hard. The key is to brake as hard as possible WITHOUT locking up
Also make sure you're braking in a straight line. If you're turning one way or the other the inside tire will have a tendency to flat spot since more weight is on the outside tire.
all of the race_1 setups (at least all the ones i tried) use brakesetups that will lock your wheels if you press the brake pedal all the way ... so if you want to use them you either have to learn not to stand on the pedal (assuming you have an analog controller for the brakes) or to lower the max brake pressure in the setup screen

and you might want to try bobs easy race setups they are just what you need to get a feel for the cars until youre ready to progress to faster setups
not locking up
assuming you've got pedals and a wheel setup, just give about 1/2 to 2/3 brake pedal when braking. even for hard braking zones. you will slow down a little bit more slowly but your car will be more balanced and it's easier to drive smoothly that way.

Speedfreak227
Get Bob's easy race setup pack from the setup section.

It does sound like your braking force is too high if it's always the undriven wheels that are locking, like Shotglass mentioned mast of the Race_1 sets have braking force too high.
You may also be pushing too much on cold tyres, haven't tested it extensively but I'm pretty sure the cold slicks will be more prone to locking up as the grip levels are lower.
You may also want to download some hotlaps from LFSW, don't expect to be able to brake as well as WR holders but they should give you a rough idea of the braking points for particular corners.
Quote from tailing :You may also be pushing too much on cold tyres, haven't tested it extensively but I'm pretty sure the cold slicks will be more prone to locking up as the grip levels are lower.

Yep, it's true, and fairly obvious when you think about it.

It's more noticeable if you brake are set up to the limit of warm tyres, then you'll hear the tyres chirp on downshifts for the first couple of laps. A quick burnout at the start can put a stop to that though.
Quote from rwkeating :Any suggestions for avoiding flat spotting tires? In accordance with another post here, I've been using the race_1 setups and working on my driving instead of setups. No matter how carefully I am (with cars that have slicks), I keep flat spotting tires (rears on front drive cars, fronts on rear drive cars). Any suggestions on how not to not flat spot the tires? I am already going so slow and braking early that it is ridiculous. Is this flat spotting happening too easily in this version of LFS? This is very frustrating.

me thinks someone hasnt read Bobs 31 page setup guide.....
normally to get rid of locking up of the brakes as mentioned above is decrease brake pressure, that is the main cause but you also need to set up the front/rear brake bias correctly too normally between 70-75%

a good test of brake pressure settings can be seen on south city sprint 1 as you go down the hill towards the left hand turn under the motorway... try and find a setup to stop brakes locking as you go down the hill.... its also very bumby so it proves a challenge to find a good setup.. using the xfr
brake balance and suspension settings.
What really helped my braking was making my brake pedal 2 stage, put a real stiff spring in for the last 10-15% so i know where exactly i am in the range, im not sure if anyone makes pedals like that though..
#11 - Gizz
we have all ad this at some point, just last night i tweaked my breaks in a little expereiment i wasnt getting any flatspoting but wanted to try and push the breaking zones a little further...

i INCREASED the breaking power and tested, its just caused lots of problems and if anything the breaking zones had moved BACK!, so i decreased the breaking power and tested again, and my breaking zones actualy moved forward a tad ...

its been said there is a bug with the tire skid sound, so the car must have been sliding slightly even though i coulndt here anything...

slack those brakes of so as you go into the turn you can floor the brakes then you have learn to guage and lift off the brakes slowly as your going in the car will be fully ballanced and i have got another 2 laps out the setup before i see the tires start to get to warm.....
Something to realise is, when you increase the braking power you increase the sensitivity and decreae the fine control you have. Say you move the pedal 10%, if your braking power is 2000 then that gives you 200 for every 10% you move the pedal. If you set it to 1000 then that small 10% movement is only 100.
Forgive me if someone can say I'm wrong, but I think the track also has alot to do with braking performance. At a recent race in FE Gold Rev in the FZR I couldn't keep from locking up the brakes. I had them set to 1000 nm. Now at Westhill in the FZR as well, I'm setup in the brakes at 1250 nm with no lockup. I set mine so I can mash the pedal to the floor. Of course the setups are quite different too, so I don't know if it's the track or the setup causing my different brake setup. But the FE Gold rev set at 1000, I couldn't believe I was locking up. That's almost down to where I ran the XR GT in the demo. Also in downforce cars, as you slow down and are on the brakes, there will be less downforce on the front of the car, so therefore the weight will be less on the front and they can lock up as you slow more.
Quote from Madman_CZ :me thinks someone hasnt read Bobs 31 page setup guide.....

Where can I find that?
#16 - Gizz
Quote from mrodgers :Forgive me if someone can say I'm wrong, but I think the track also has alot to do with braking performance. At a recent race in FE Gold Rev in the FZR I couldn't keep from locking up the brakes. I had them set to 1000 nm. Now at Westhill in the FZR as well, I'm setup in the brakes at 1250 nm with no lockup. I set mine so I can mash the pedal to the floor. Of course the setups are quite different too, so I don't know if it's the track or the setup causing my different brake setup. But the FE Gold rev set at 1000, I couldn't believe I was locking up. That's almost down to where I ran the XR GT in the demo. Also in downforce cars, as you slow down and are on the brakes, there will be less downforce on the front of the car, so therefore the weight will be less on the front and they can lock up as you slow more.

oohh yea no 2 tracks will have the same brake setup, again there are lots things wich effect the braking, setups are full of knock on effects...

some tracks you enter slow corners are speed and other you enter them at lower speeds, plus depending on how you have the car setup you will have to set your brakes around that, and if you are working on a DF car it throws even more into the fray the more DF you have them harder you can break generaly, but i find the TRACK its self is actualy offering differing amounts of grip, i dont know if this is even coded (dont think so) but say KY GP that track feels like your on grease, but thats proberably my imagination going nuts
Quote from PLAYLIFE :Where can I find that?

just right click and save or just click to open up in your browser

click here >>> HERE <<<

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG