The online racing simulator
Pikes Peak 2012 - In a DRIFTER !
(26 posts, started )
It's not exactly a drift car.

As Hyundai implied that the Genesis Coupe will be used for track racing in coming years.

So i don't get what you are trying to imply...

2WD has been here forever, just because the car layout is FR it doesn't mean it's a drifter.
Quote from Dennis93 :It's not exactly a drift car.

So i don't get what you are trying to imply...

Ok, I'll use short words and give you a video to watch, that may help you.

The car Rhys used to win Pikes Peak IS HIS DRIFT CAR !
Yes, it was modified but it is still THE CAR HE USES FOR DRIFTING.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D3OPqlK1M4

Millen, who didn't have factory backing to run his impressive PM580 'ultimate' class car, instead ran his Hyundai Genesis drift car, tuned for altitude and set up for the course's renowned tough corners.

So, what part of my post do you continue to fail to understand ?
A "drift car" is just a race car with a terrible setup. I don't see how this is special or remarkable in any way.
Well, beating a Le Mans winner in a GT3 R with a Hyundai drift car is at least worth a comment.

It's also the first time that Pikes Peak has been fully sealed.

Considering the usual issues between racers and drifters it's interesting to see a crossover.
#6 - samjh
Quote from Racer X NZ :
The car Rhys used to win Pikes Peak IS HIS DRIFT CAR !
Yes, it was modified but it is still THE CAR HE USES FOR DRIFTING.

No, Millen used a Pikes Peak car, not a drift car. It had new body kit, wings, splitters, turbo charger, suspension, and brakes.

Calling it a "drift car", is like calling a Group A rally car a "road car".
Quote from samjh :No, Millen used a Pikes Peak car, not a drift car. It had new body kit, wings, splitters, turbo charger, suspension, and brakes.

Calling it a "drift car", is like calling a Group A rally car a "road car".

Thanks.
For f@@ks sake, He used a different setup and aero.
It was still his drift car and he still won.

You guys must really hate drifters.

Could we try to celebrate the win ?
Quote from Racer X NZ :For f@@ks sake, He used a different setup and aero.
It was still his drift car and he still won.

You guys must really hate drifters.

Could we try to celebrate the win ?

Noooo It's not. It is a street car!.

He just changed the suspension engine and some body parts.
So he won in a street car, now that's truly amazing.
#10 - JJ72
Quote from Dennis93 :Noooo It's not. It is a street car!.

He just changed the suspension engine and some body parts.
So he won in a street car, now that's truly amazing.

Holy crap, it's a conspiracy!
How do you define a drift car? Maybe it was originally built for drifting, but if it is modified for Pikes Peak then it hardly has anything to do with drifting anymore.

If you have a good adjustable suspension in your car, you can tune it to be good for racing or drifting. For drifting you just make it very oversteery.

In example XRT in LFS has a pretty remarkable suspension setup when it comes to the adjustability. It's still not a drift car unless you tune it for it (make rear very stiff = oversteer). Or you can tune it differently for racing.
Quote from Racer X NZ :Well, beating a Le Mans winner in a GT3 R with a Hyundai drift car is at least worth a comment.

It's also the first time that Pikes Peak has been fully sealed.

Considering the usual issues between racers and drifters it's interesting to see a crossover.

He races in Rally Cross also, your point is irrelevant
-
(banfwd) DELETED by banfwd
What I found especially interesting was the Palatov DP4PPS. For those of you who don't know, the man who built the car use to frequent these forums quite a bit and for a while it appeared his car could end up in LFS. While that didn't happen, it's awesome to see his project place 5th, only 18 seconds off of first place, in their first try.
It's nice to see that Racer X can be as completely retarded about racing as he is about politics (and the use of apostrophes, apparently).
I'm pretty sure Romain Dumas can drift with his Porsche GT3R. Anyway he was drifting with Porsche 911 GT3 RS on french TV last time so Romain Dumas is a drifter ! and his Porsche 911 GT3 R is a drift car (based on the 911 GT3 RS) but with aero for race track (pikes peak this time) and suspension set to be hard.

This Porsche wasn't a factory one. Porsche Motorsport have enough work with 991 GT3 RSR and LMP1 to deal with a GT3R (which is kind of low cost RSR tbh) for Pikes Peak.

It was a car developed by Romain Dumas, PKM consulting (suspension) and other french expert from south of France. Nothing official, nor factory.

As it was Romain Dumas first time in Pikes Peak, he will be probably faster next year.

Poor guy, one day you might understand something in motorsport

EDIT : proof that GT3 RS is a drift machine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdOQHvpTBGY
So drifters first and second.

A: where are the racers ?
B: pikes peak is a drift course ?
#17 - JJ72
You have no idea Rhys Millen was a competitive rally driver before he drifts?

and this is a tarmac rally course?
Quote from Racer X NZ :So drifters first and second.

A. Rhys Millen is a Rally driver.
B. Gooby plz

A: Stick to conspiracies mate.
B: Nope, It's a 'Rally-Stage' so to speak, even though it's not used for any championships afaiaao. ( As far as I am aware of)..

Well what about drifters being racers before being drifters? That's funny how drifter think drift is a world apart motorsport. Drift is just one part of motorsport as rallycross is, endurance, rally, ...Any decent driver from any kind of this "department" is able to switch from one to another one. In early age of motorsport it was something common to see a formula one driver racing in f2 or f3 on the same week end of a formula one grand prix, and being driving his rally car on next week end. Nowadays there are still some that can do that like Romain Dumas who is Porsche factory driver and also racing in french rally championship with his Porsche cup. Some drivers that you call drifters are simply doing the same.
Quote from MoMo92i :Well what about drifters being racers before being drifters? That's funny how drifter think drift is a world apart motorsport. Drift is just one part of motorsport as rallycross is, endurance, rally, ...Any decent driver from any kind of this "department" is able to switch from one to another one.

While I generally agree with you, I think there are exceptions. Case in point: 2 wheels vs. 4 wheels. Schumacher, for example, is fairly quick on a bike, but not world-class like he was in a car. Rossi seems fairly quick with both, though, and impressed a lot of people last time he tested with Ferrari F1.
Quote from Forbin :While I generally agree with you, I think there are exceptions. Case in point: 2 wheels vs. 4 wheels. Schumacher, for example, is fairly quick on a bike, but not world-class like he was in a car. Rossi seems fairly quick with both, though, and impressed a lot of people last time he tested with Ferrari F1.

They never seriously competed though.

iirc, Schumacher did some Semi-pro/amateur european superstock.
Rossi's done a bit of testing with cars and he has been snow rally crossing and such, but yes. Rossi is a very talented bloke, but surely they was surprised, but i don't think he would have a chance in F1, just like vice versa with Schumi in motogp
#23 - DeKo
Been catching up on this years Pikes Peak, had no idea they laid tarmac down for the full course. What the ****?

Forbin, don't forget John Surtees.
Ceccoto & Beltoise aswell but I have to admit 2wheels and 4wheels are quite different. I think it is easier for someone fast with motorbike to be fast with cars than the contrary.
Quote from Rappa Z :What I found especially interesting was the Palatov DP4PPS. For those of you who don't know, the man who built the car use to frequent these forums quite a bit and for a while it appeared his car could end up in LFS. While that didn't happen, it's awesome to see his project place 5th, only 18 seconds off of first place, in their first try.

Same, quite impressed. It's a shame his machine never made it into LFS, I would have loved to give it a go!

(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG