The online racing simulator
According to the rule book Maldanado would be seen as in the wrong. But Hamilton is all to blame for that. WHy risk it? Stupid
If this was last Valencia street race, then it certainly delivered. In a great way.

So thanks Vergne for the SC.
Here we go again, in my opinion Maldonado could have easily backed out and waited another lap, and it seems whenever he hits someone it's deliberate, he makes a decision to make contact rather than over committing or losing control. Having said that, Hamilton could have given him the place and taken 4th knowing how much of an **** Maldonado is, and that's what I expected him to do considering his more cautious approach this season.

But moving on from the idiots, you have to say Alonso is the best driver on the grid, he consistently exceeds expectations and given a better car he would dominate this season.
Images from hamilton/maldonado crash:
#80 - CSF
Meh, Schumacher losing his podium because he used DRS under the last lap yellow flags. meh meh meh.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Here we go again, in my opinion Maldonado could have easily backed out and waited another lap, and it seems whenever he hits someone it's deliberate, he makes a decision to make contact rather than over committing or losing control. Having said that, Hamilton could have given him the place and taken 4th knowing how much of an **** Maldonado is, and that's what I expected him to do considering his more cautious approach this season.

But moving on from the idiots, you have to say Alonso is the best driver on the grid, he consistently exceeds expectations and given a better car he would dominate this season.

I have to say that Was without question Alonso's best ever Drive.
Well watching it live my opinion was that Maldonado decided to hit Hamilton, rather than accidentally hitting him. But I will wait for some non-fanboy opinions from the guys who actually know their stuff and race in real life, because they're the only sensible people posting in these threads most of the time.

EDIT: I agree that it was Alonso's best drive, he has grown on me so much and I can't help but cheer for him in every race.
When maldonado went wide and was trying to come on track he drove over the kerb which made his car bottom out and he basically just could no longer steer his car (or brake either). While little bit of fault is on both drivers the bigger fault is on maldonado simply because there was no way in hell was was going to make it back on track from the outside without touching hamilton. The only thing maldonado has to say to defend him is that it came as a surprise that the kerb was so high.

That being said what a strange race. Would have been nice to see if grosjean could have taken alonso in the end. Marvelous race from that skinny frenchie boy. Too bad for the dnf.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Well watching it live my opinion was that Maldonado decided to hit Hamilton, rather than accidentally hitting him. But I will wait for some non-fanboy opinions from the guys who actually know their stuff and race in real life, because they're the only sensible people posting in these threads most of the time.

My opinion is as followed.

Yes Hamilton was wrong to run Maldonado wide but as it is what everyone did throughout the race I really don't see the issue with it. Secondly, if there was a wall there instead of run off, Maldonado would have backed off, instead he ran onto the run off and decided to try overtake off the track. Because of this he found himself with 2 wheels effectively in the air because of the curb and understeered into Hamilton. No matter how much room Lewis would have given, Maldonado would have hit him, and this is because he didn't expect the understeer that he picked up to happen - therefore Maldonado's fault. Fully understand the annoyance of both drivers as really, Lewis should have let him go and finished 4th which would have meant he was only 7 points adrift of Alonso in the standings, but typical Hamilton 'win or nothing' attitude has resulted in a DNF.

Amazing drive from Alonso, for me deserves to be world champion this year because of his relentless pace and maturity, obviously a very emotional day for him as a home win and fully deserved it 100%. Great drive from Kimi just waiting patiently for either Alonso or Hamilton to fall away and a surprising but nice 3rd for Schumacher, Webber did pretty decently also! Who said Valencia had boring races! :munching_
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Well watching it live my opinion was that Maldonado decided to hit Hamilton, rather than accidentally hitting him.

I agree with this. He forced Webber wide and that was fair game but when someone does it to him he just sees red mist and straightens the wheel to ram them.
im not usually hamilton fan but it was clear maldonado fault.

everyone was pushing cars wide there and people had sense and backed off.
after maldonado went off he didnt back off but keep going without caring atall for hamilton and drove straight in his side..

hamilton was holding the line and its maldonado responsiblity to rejoin track safely.. which is not..
Just put it this way, if a wall was there or grass Maldonado couldn't of done that, completely different to Grosjeans pass on Hamilton as there was enough room the whole corner.

It's Maldonados Fault.
Seems very deliberate from Maldonado, but that's not really news is it? xD

Anyway really interesting race when Vettel fell out. Congratz to the whole Podium - nice to see the big guys/legends on top
Quote from CSF :Meh, Schumacher losing his podium because he used DRS under the last lap yellow flags. meh meh meh.

Somewhere must be a opinion poll and the question would be that whose bad it was. I found one from my country's websites and most of them was for Hamilton.

But imo it was Maldonado's fault this time... he would can cut the turn??? Yes, it's last lap and podium in hands and don't want to slow down after cut...

Alonso now too far But he deserves it, not fastest car, but the best driver
Great race!

In my opinion that crash was Maldonado's fault.
If I was Lewis' team boss I'd be bollocking him for being an idiot... just before I go apeshit at Maldanado in the stewards room. That's how II see the whole thing
Quote from CSF :Meh, Schumacher losing his podium because he used DRS under the last lap yellow flags. meh meh meh.

Sigh...
Quote from BBC Sport :Mercedes team boss Ross Brawn has confirmed that he informed Michael Schumacher that he couldn't use his DRS while the yellow flags were out. Brawn also personally double-checked the data and Schumacher stopped using is 30m before the yellow flag zone so he's confident there won't be a penalty.

I'm going to call the crash between Hamilton and Maldonado a pure racing incident. The thing is that first Hamilton pushed Maldonado out and then he gave some room that Maldonado thought Hamilton was giving him because he was entitled to room on the track. Just when Maldonado had got to the track Hamilton turned in and Maldonado couldn't react (partially because he was in the air after going over a curb). Had Hamilton either left room or shut the door completely this wouldn't have happened and had Maldonado let go (which he wasn't actually forced to) the acciden't wouldn't have happened either.

All ''what if's'' about walls being in the corner can be forgotten as there were no walls and had Hamilton pushed Maldonado to this imaginary wall, he'd be given huge penalties as they were side by side when he forced Maldonado out of the track. Also note that last year Vettel overtook Alonso in Monza having only 2 wheels on the track - I don't remember anyone yelling that it was cheating or wrong to race when you are pushed off the track.

The whole incident was stupid and pointless since had Maldonado given up he still would've passed Hamilton the next lap as Hamilton's tyres were completely dead. Neither of them would've benefitted from succeeding in the reckless attempt to pass or in at least as reckless defending.

Alonso drove a great race when comparing to his qualifying performance but the race performance is hardly even in his top 20 races. He benefited from Hamilton slowing the group down in the beginning and especially from the safety car - not to mention Vettel's and Grosjean's car failures. He wasn't faster than the others, just had some luck with how things played out. We've seen that Ferrari's fast so it's not like his car is slower than the others'. His overtakes showed why he's a world champion and one of the best drivers, if not the best, at the moment but that's it. Vettel reigned supreme the entire race until his car blew up and no one here is saying how great Vettel was. The guy pulled a perfect lap in the quali and owned every one else right until the car stopped working.

Very interesting race, corgratz to Alonso. I'm hoping a Lotus will still win a race this season even though this seemed like the best place to score a victory for them.
So people on reddit/Autosport are posting that Webber messaged in on team radio saying he doesnt want to fight with "that guy". (Maldonado).

(Not sure how true its though)
Quote from BBC Sport :The TV boys have dug out some footage which shows Michael Schumacher using his DRS when yellow flags are being waved however BBC F1 technical analyst Gary Anderson says that there's nothing in the rules that say you can't use the DRS in that situation, you just have to prove you are slowing down. Let's wait and see what happens.

Maldanado should get a grid penalty for what happened (5/10 can't remember if its a set penalty or not) but looking back on the incident it's not as clear cut as my gut reaction was.

Hamilton appears to move twice going into the corner and deliberately puts Maldanado onto the kerbs which would affect his ability to turn in and avoid Lewis on the following left hander. Both drivers could have done so much more to avoid the incident and maybe if it was 5 or 6 laps to go Lewis wouldn't have been so defensive, however due to the nature and timing of the event, Lewis would prefer to fight and try and keep 4th regardless of how likely it was to happen and frankly that's why some love him and some hate him.

The fact is that if given that scenario again, we all know that both drivers would have done the same thing if the roles where reversed.
The problem with that YF situation was they were waving a yellow then double waved yellows halfway down the straight out of turn 10/11 to turn 12. No wonder people don't slow down for yellows when they are being overused far ahead of the actual incident.

Formula 1 Grand Prix of Europe 2012
(185 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG