The online racing simulator
Quote from PMD9409 :Check two of my comments here, might help.

The physics feel quite good. I believe that the underlying physics engine is much better than rF1, and is on par with current simulations. Obviously being beta it is still lacking a few features, however it is definitely a potential candidate for being fantastic. The feel and how the tires behave is already really good. The change in enviroment is something remarkable.

Mod support should be quite good. Some of the tracks that are WIP are looking quite good as well.

Completely agree with Phil.

Zero regrets getting this, and finally allowed me to unsub iRacing. Looking foward to the when there is a strong community & leagues in RF2 because the driving is second to none, and already far more dynamic than anything out there.

edit: also question here for PMD:
Is it just me or can you actually feel the tire's oscillation frequency in the F3.5? I just started driving this thing recently and I really like it. Once you soften it a bit it drives real nice. There is wheel hop occuring in low downforce situations, and I notice that if you clip a curb hard that I feel some pretty tight oscillations that FEEL like they are from the tires/suspension which I've never noticed in LFS or iR or NKP. Not talking about rumbling from the curbs themselves, but for example if you clip a curb in the inside hard while the outside is loaded a lot you feel some strong oscillations in the wheel that die off over about 1 to 1.5 seconds. have you noticed that and what do you make of it?
Almost as if the tire is bouncing? For example the second to last corner at Estoril with the F3.5? Clip the curb on the inside and the tire is definitely skipping across the tarmac before finally regaining all its traction.

It normally doesn't happen in other sims because we are always running a much softer suspension IMO.

Is this what you are meaning? I'm not the most technical speaker when it comes to it, so ignore my lack of technical terms.
Yeah there's what you're saying in that post which I call wheel-hop; that might not be the right term either. That's a good sign in and of itself, but not what I'm talking about:

What I'm talking about is that sometimes if you hit the inside hard enough that it's almost airborne while the outside is holding the fort, I feel very "tight" feeling oscillations for about a second like the sim is transferring the effect of the tire's & suspension's damping forces since they're not being soaked up by the road. If that's really what's happening I'd be amazed, but it sure as hell seems like that's what it is. Could test it I guess by intentionally countersteering and slamming the inside down to see if that would stop the oscillation immediately (even though I'll be planted firmly into something other than the tarmac shortly after :P)
Well wheel hop I think about under braking, normally with the rear tires.

I think I know what you are talking about now, and yes I believe that feeling does come through the FFB. I'd have to try some time soon, as you feel so many forces through the wheel it is hard to remember all that you have felt (not a bad thing, it just communicates so much).
WOW, just wow.

My first impressions:
- Monaco, old F1 (one with wings), after 2 turns I could already drift it with no problem (no aids at all, obviosly). This sais a lot of physics and feel.

- Now I'm with a GTR at Malaysia, after 3 laps, I could do one without getting off the track, but it's not easy to drive either (nor I'm fast ).

- Graphics at full (minus HDR and those things), 30-50 fps on a "ATI" 5750, not bad at all I think.

It is too early to say this for sure, but this could be the best game I've tried, especially in the details, the sound of gravel when you return to the tarmac and those things are lovely.

Bye, I'm going to do some more laps haha
I saw that earlier, looks promising.
Quote from Dennis93 :I can't barely tell a difference between the real track and this.
I remember all my reference points..

Only thing visibly wrong with the track is the raised kerb at the middle of the bus-stop, maybe you can confirm this Dennis?
Well, I guess rF2 doesn't look like total crap anymore. Good job V_LM, as always!
There's also more historic stuff coming. Can't wait to drive the Brabham BT20

Quote :
We have entered final testing of a new historic track for rFactor2. Coming in two configurations (to start with), "Brianza" is a 1966 10km (max) circuit suitable for 1966 period F1 cars.

Also featured in the screenshots is the Brabham BT20, now officially confirmed.

Attached images
413826_393060924078159_190513243_o.jpg
Does the F1 car have DRS/Kers? and if so, what are they called in controller settings?
It has DRS for sure. It's called "rear flap". I have no idea about KERS. I never noticed it.
Quote from BlueFlame :Only thing visibly wrong with the track is the raised kerb at the middle of the bus-stop, maybe you can confirm this Dennis?

True, those are indeed flat kerbs in real life.
Looks very interesting, trouble is the handling of those contraptions is more about every damn thing flexing and bending than accurate geometry and even if chassis flex is being taken into account that's only a small part of it. I'd guess it will be a long time before any game can include that kind of thing and justify being called a simulation, the rigs of rods demo video is in the right direction though.
Quote from stan.distortion :Looks very interesting, trouble is the handling of those contraptions is more about every damn thing flexing and bending than accurate geometry and even if chassis flex is being taken into account that's only a small part of it. I'd guess it will be a long time before any game can include that kind of thing and justify being called a simulation, the rigs of rods demo video is in the right direction though.

Ha ha ha. Good one. Like anyone could actually feel chassis flex in most cars.
Ever heard of a little company called Lotus? One of the reasons you've probably heard of them is that in their early days they made chassis that flexed better than anyone else's, it was so bad on sports cars at that time that if you opened both doors on some open topped sports cars you had to put a jack underneath to close them again. Have a look at the chassis section beside the seat back on mk1 lotus 7's if you don't believe flex was designed in back then. Not sure about cars but on bikes its still designed in, the highside issues on GP bikes in the 90's was due to the new computer assisted designs being too rigid and flex had to be incorporated to fix the problem.
Yes, I live next to Lotus. Chapman never engineered a car to flex noticeably on purpose. The fact that some (old) Elans sagged in the middle with the roof down was because the design was lacking in several areas. Any flex was merely useful in controlling NVH (before excessive flex occurred, leading to whipping), given the tyres, dampers etc of the era.

Nowadays new cars, be they F1 or Supermarket Trollies aim for chassis stiffness.

Karts aside (low mass, no suspension etc), chassis flex isn't something you'll notice in a driving simulator. It's very low priority these days.

If you read your link you'll notice that triangulation was removed. Not to encourage flex, but to minimise weight until the flex became noticeable. He did what he could to get everything as light as possible, above nearly all other criteria.
Chasis flex is very commun in tin tops Tristan, get a clue please.
The best solution for a car is to have as soft chassis as possible. This combined with the center of gravity being in the middle allows you to take tight hairpins without any steering as the car will go around the corner like a snake.
Quote from Hyperactive :The best solution for a car is to have as soft chassis as possible. This combined with the center of gravity being in the middle allows you to take tight hairpins without any steering as the car will go around the corner like a snake.

Chassis flex + CoG centered + snake = bendy bus

(had to say that, soorry for the off-topic)
Quote from Hyperactive :The best solution for a car is to have as soft chassis as possible. This combined with the center of gravity being in the middle allows you to take tight hairpins without any steering as the car will go around the corner like a snake.

+1
You made my day, thanks!

The Rfactor thread. (rF & rF2)
(431 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG