The online racing simulator
I got banned. What to do?
(95 posts, started )
IN SHORT: If you got banned just recently and want to make a comment about it, do NOT make it in this thread or on this forum. Please. Don't start a new thread because we have seen them all. Many many times. Try to contact the server owners or go to their website if they have one to resolve the issue or post a complaint. Or just go to another server.
We here on the LFS forum cannot help you getting unbanned from any host so there is no use complaining here.

This thread is not a rant thread about evil server owners or bad admins. Let's try to keep the maturity levels high so fair and constructive answers can be given. No mocking in this thread. As said above, try to contact the server owner/admin at first. You can ask the contact info in this thread but please don't use this thread as a ventilating channel. Mature behaviour will get you answers and will make you look better. Mocking some server owner is a personal attack against that person and will defenately result in no good.

The reason why people get banned are usually these:
- hitting other cars after the race is finished
- reckless driving (=purposeful wrecking)
- dangerous driving, blocking leaders when blue flag is shown
- causing accidents all the time, purposeful or not
- mistake that leads into a complete disaster, usually in 1st turn
- misunderstood incident
- bad language/behaviour
- banned by wrecker
- lag
- other people using your computer link
- not obeing the rules in general

Usually you get warned before banned but you can't count on that. All these warnings should be taken seriously. It is also possible to get banned without actually doing anything wrong. BUT as a visitor on their server you are expected to comply with their rules (or leave).

There are some basic things you should be aware of:
- Am I really banned?:
If you are unsure that if you are banned you can try to join to the server. If LFS says that "Host refused connection", you have probably been banned.
- If you have doubts about your car handling skills and racing etiquette, check these educational movies and learn: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=5626
Also check:
- How to race: http://forum.liveforspeed.se/viewtopic.php?p=3339#3339
- How to race: http://www.ukgpl.com/rec_dvr_beh/rec_driver_beh.htm (It's actually for other game but the rules still apply)
Also remember to read the sticky posts here on LFS beginner forum
- On some servers there is an INSIM app running that can be used to show the rules. Usually you can check the rules by pressing "t", typing !rules and pressing enter. You need to be in the car to see these, this is a LFS limitation. It is never a bad idea to read the rules before joining the race. On some servers a special insim application controls the server and the race procedures, like on CTRA's servers for example. On these servers the helps can be shown through a graphical user interface. Reading the rules when being on some server for the first time is always advisable.

Behaviour
One thing that should not be forgotten is correct and friendly behaviour towards fellow racers. This doesn't mean that you should take everything as it comes but more of a friendly behaviour, especially towards those who are less skilled than you. And this friendly, respectful behaviour does not end when the race ends. Stuff like driving into other cars with high speed after race is usually deemed unfriendly behaviour. Avoiding hitting other cars is a rule that applies always, unless said otherwise.

In general, it is more of a demo server problem that some people can't just behave. But getting into fights all the time means that there may (and probably is) something wrong with your behaviour as well.

Lag
Lag can have a serious effect on racing. What lag causes is that your car warps from point to point and vanishes usually in the between making it very hard or impossible for others to avoid contact with you - or even see where you are. If you suspect that you lag, first thing you should do is to ask others about it. Usually lagging and/or car disappearing/appearing occurs when you are using some sort of wireless network. http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=7085

What is a ban:
A vote ban:
A ban that last 24 hours. Based on voting, people vote and with enough votes you are kicked out from the server and can't join there in 24 hours.
Admin ban:
Depending how severe your actions/behaviour are seen you can get a ban that lasts from hours to a very long time.
Banned from many servers at once
A thing called Wrecker barricade exists in LFS nowadays. It is basically a system that gets a wrecker banned from more than just one server, if the person gets enough bans and/or behaves in such way that it can no more be tolerated. So getting banned from one server may, in fact get you banned from many many servers. More info: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=8930.

How to contact the server admins if you think your ban was wrong:
If the team has a web site they usually have a forum where such things are discussed. On some servers there is a insim application running and the web address and contact methods are usually displayed with right text command or through a graphical interface. Some servers have their contact information shown before entering to the server. Some servers have no contact information. More information about the teams and their websites/forums can be found at:
- Teams' forum on lfsforums: http://www.lfsforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23
- Established teams thread: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=30
- If you don't find the information on the links above, try google. Not all servers have website and not all servers are run by teams.
- If you find the right forum and decide to make a post about it, include the replay file of the incident if you have it. It can show what really happened.

You should also take note that there is not such thing like perfect admin. Admins are human like rest of us. They may make errors, ban wrong persons or ban without actual reason. But these incidents are still rare. Also one thing to notice is that there may not be admin on the server so if you get vote banned and feel that it was unrightful thing you should contact the admins of the server. Nervertheless, do not spread false information or bad stories about other teams or players. After all, it is all just rumours and even with proof it is much more useful to contact wreckers' barricade than post it on some forums.

Last note. Using bad language and mocking the server admins in your posts is generally not liked. Don't make a new thread here if you got banned, this is the official LFS forum and as such has nothing to do with teams and how they run their servers. Contact the server admins, or even better just go to another server. If you just have (a very must have to urge) to post about it, post in this thread.

Updated 12.8 (no longer updated as of 11.1.2009 by me)
#2 - SamH
"My brother is an axe murderer"
A number of apparent wreckers are turning out to be good drivers who have (usually younger) members of the family, with less enthusiasm and devotion to LFS than themselves.

If you're a responsible driver but sharing your PC with the family axe murderer, there is still something you can do.

Assuming you're on XP:-
  1. Convert your hard drive to NTFS if it's FAT32. This adds the required additional file security.
  2. Create a new User account for the axe murderer. Make it a limited account so they have to ask permission to do anything fundamental to the PC.
  3. Create a password for your own Windows account. Make it something that's not guessable by any axe murderers. A combination of letters (rather than dictionary-defined words) and some numbers is usually best policy.
  4. Move your LFS directory to your own My Documents folder. You MAY have to unlock your copy of LFS again if you do this. There's no guarantee. Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. If you're out of unlocks, email the development team. If you explain what you're doing it's a safe bet they'll credit you with an additional unlock.
  5. LOG OUT when you leave your PC. This part is essential.
  6. NEVER LOG IN in the presence of axe murderers. Always conceal your password and don't write it down in your diary. This is where axe murderers will look first, if they're trying to get in to your Windows or LFS account.
None of the above will guarantee that your ban will be lifted from a particular server. It's a preventative measure, but essential if you share a PC with a kid called Jason, Freddy, Lucifer, Lillith or any other example of evil.
#3 - SamH
Quote from kurent : Is it against the rules to post replays? After all it is a public server?

Now therein lies a fine question. I'll elaborate on my own personal opinion, as an LFS driver, as a server admin, and as the guy to blame for the Wrecker Barricade. It's not, by any stretch, an official line:-

There is no rule that states that you can't post a replay. However it's a well established convention that you must not post in a way that harasses or personally attacks another LFS member, including but not limited to "naming and shaming". This convention doesn't vary according to how right or wrong the person being named and shamed is, or how right or wrong the person posting the replay is in their accusation. The net rule, therefore, is that you don't post a replay on the forum, if doing so may cause detriment to the standing of another player in the community.

Typically naming and shaming is done by one person, and directed at another. Thus, a replay being posted by the person who is accused doesn't fit under the typical "name and shame" banner. But, with specific reference to the topic at hand, posting a replay that is intended to vindicate the person who is banned could, by virtue of doing so, name and shame a server admin. Server admins are entitled to protection, under our anti-name/shame convention, the same as all other members.

If you've been banned from a server that you wish to return to, you should send your replay to the admin of that server along with your reasons for requesting an unban. If you are unable to find who the admin of that server is then posting a request for the admin to contact you, in this thread, is the best course. Once/if the admin responds, you'll be able to arrange delivery/pickup of your replay file for them to review.

Hope that helps
Quote from SamH :There is no rule that states that you can't post a replay. However it's a well established convention that you must not post in a way that harasses or personally attacks another LFS member, including but not limited to "naming and shaming". This convention doesn't vary according to how right or wrong the person being named and shamed is, or how right or wrong the person posting the replay is in their accusation. The net rule, therefore, is that you don't post a replay on the forum, if doing so may cause detriment to the standing of another player in the community.

However, people should always try to solve their situations without any 3rd parties envolved. That "third party" includes this forum as well. The issues between a single person/team and a server admin/other team are not LFS related. And that can be interpreted that posting replays or anything related to a single ban/abuse/anything else, isn't really wanted here. As the theme and tone of these threads are generally negative and has very little LFS-related content, I'd strongly encourage direct contact between server admins and server visitors by locking those "I got banned from..."-threads as soon as they appear. They never solve anything. This isn't directed at you, SamH, but imho, lfsforum moderators should pick a line here and go by it. If those threads are not welcome, why allow them to escalate to that sh*t throwing contests, when they always do, sooner or later?
#5 - SamH
Quote from Hyperactive :...As the theme and tone of these threads are generally negative and has very little LFS-related content, I'd strongly encourage direct contact between server admins and server visitors by locking those "I got banned from..."-threads as soon as they appear.

You're on the mark

There was always the possibility that those threads *could* have gone the other way, and become a useful resource of information to people seeking resolution/explanation/help. OR they might have resulted in a moderating of behaviour on the part of drivers and server admins, as each perspective was discussed on the forum. This would have been a positive thing.

It became apparent to everyone, eventually, that they wouldn't offer anything of value at all, except a back and forth of nothing but grief. As a result of that realisation, the approach to these threads has "matured" among mods just as it has with every other member signing in to find a plethora of new "X server banned me and they suck" posts.

We can't close the threads as soon as they appear, though. We can only close them as soon as we find them
I've "reset" this thread. Reading back the first two paragraphs of the OT it's quickly become clear that almost noone else read them, or just ignored them.

Even though Hyperactive already wrote it all in his original post, I feel I have to emphasize this line : "This thread is not a rant thread about evil server owners or bad admins. Let's try to keep the maturity levels high so fair and constructive answers can be given.".

Ignoring this will get your posts removed. If people cannot talk in a normal way and without insulting one another all the time, I'd rather have they not talk at all. We will enforce that if people's own judgement of being polite is insufficient.

It's really not so much to ask to be polite and dignified. Is it?
Once again this thread has been Reset,

In Future Infractions will be awarded for failure to follow any of the simple steps in the OP's & Following posts.
#8 - Gunn
Thread reset.

EDIT: Reset again: 12/01/2010

[edit] Reset 3/5/2010

EDIT: Thread Reset again 06/09/2011

EDIT: Thread Reset again 19/09/2011
hi, I just have a question please,

here I have been banned on the demo, I was banned 3 years :weeping:
for double counting, I still have 776 days but i have really want to play, and my question and if I buy the license I'll always be banned?

sorry i'm bad speak english, i'm french and thank's for your response
Quote from steven8868 :if I buy the license I'll always be banned?

Depends on the server admins, server rules etcetc.

But yes you can, if you have a license you don't have 'more' rights, you can be banned just as easy. But if you behave nicely, try to drive cleanly (don't crash others on purpose), then I don't see much problems.
Quote from steven8868 :hi, I just have a question please,

here I have been banned on the demo, I was banned 3 years :weeping:
for double counting, I still have 776 days but i have really want to play, and my question and if I buy the license I'll always be banned?

sorry i'm bad speak english, i'm french and thank's for your response

You created multiple LFS accounts to avoid previously banned accounts.
Seeing this is about 8 months ago ... if you think you can follow the rules better now, I don't mind unbanning your steven8868 account, if you want to buy an S2 license.
But you best mail us through the official channel if you want to proceed : https://www.lfs.net/?page=mailus
pidigri
I have been banned from the server and nose WKD for only esque I ask leave me again enter the server does not do anything else bad back clear greetings sorry xd
pidigri
pidigri
I only ask that you let me enter the server please WKD
Aa demo gti
Hi, i've been noticing a lot of mismanagement recently on this server, wich is the one i mostly use. I have been seen a lot of ban without a reason, just like it just happened to me. A guy with the nickname "Critti" just banned me from the server. First: He didnt even take a look at the replay to confirm that i was the one that made him crash, wich was not, because i didnt even touch his car. Second: he didnt even talk to me after it, like, "dude the next one i'll kick you", or "how did it happen", so he didnt even want to listen to what i had to say. Third: He didnt even take a look at my times and rates and stuff to judge me as a crasher, and Fourth: those people who adm this server should be the most flexibles in the server, they are the one who need to listen and see the replay because they are the ones who can ban someone with only one vote. When he kicked me first and i came back to talk to him he said like "say one more word...", like, who are you to tell me this ??? and didnt even have a AA tag on his nick name so i dont know if hes an adm or whatever, all i know is that he has priviledges somehow !! So im here to tell you guys (adm's) to watch this sort of people who think is a God, because this is ridiculous !!
-
(edge3147) DELETED by edge3147 : ill let the mods handle it.
Hmm..

connected to [AA] Blackwood GTI
!pi critti
No such player found

---
By the way... If anyone from AA reads this, I can offer one Turk free server if they want...

I think some are more ban triggery, because of this flood of people from that country with bad intentions. Only solution, blocking all Turkisch IP block segments

"16. bagre (ENGINEER) 0 > 2012-06-04 11:30 (0.1) [rhygin : Voting...]"

There's the information that we have about your ban in our list of banned users. Rhygin is the login name of the person who banned you and the reason he gave was "Voting..." so I don't know really know what happened

Quote : By the way... If anyone from AA reads this, I can offer one Turk free server if they want...

I think some are more ban triggery, because of this flood of people from that country with bad intentions. Only solution, blocking all Turkisch IP block segments

There are still many nice people from turkey driving in AA servers, but still, 9/10 of them are crashers and 1/10 a good guy. It still would not be good to block a whole country off.
@Dave: it may be a bit extreme at this point in time , let's see if the admins can manage it first...
As a principal I do not agree with blocking whole country off, as know many nice Turkish users. But understand it as a countermeasure to keep server clean, and many do agree with it.
I don´t think that our Admin EQ would support it though..

Thanks for the offer.
OK well.. Still some segments could be blocked off which are giving pain. Complete country is maybe a bit over the top yeah...

Anyway, it was a vote ban. Question solved
I spoke to Engineer about his ban, and it is a settled matter.
Huge Problem
Ok i was in LTC cruise server . And i seen my friend and we had a lil chat then he asked me if we should go s2 crack , soo i agreed . we drifted there then we desided too come back too s2 legit . I tried too connect too Master server but i said User Name was not found . i keeped re doing it . but i cant get online could someone help me please .
Quote from malikthai2 :Ok i was in LTC cruise server . And i seen my friend and we had a lil chat then he asked me if we should go s2 crack , soo i agreed . we drifted there then we desided too come back too s2 legit . I tried too connect too Master server but i said User Name was not found . i keeped re doing it . but i cant get online could someone help me please .

I wouldn't advise using cracks for any program, let alone LFS. Your best option to getting back in multiplayer mode:

1) completely uninstall & reinstall LFS on your computer
2) you have a certain amount of "unlocks" per week, I think it's like 2 or 3
3) unlock S2 by entering your unlock password, the same you set @ LFS's website when you first bought the game

If it still doesn't work, hopefully someone here can help. Good luck mate!
Or just wait an hour or 2 until the glitch times out.
Quote from Bagre :Hi, i've been noticing a lot of mismanagement recently on this server, wich is the one i mostly use. I have been seen a lot of ban without a reason, just like it just happened to me. A guy with the nickname "Critti" just banned me from the server. First: He didnt even take a look at the replay to confirm that i was the one that made him crash, wich was not, because i didnt even touch his car. Second: he didnt even talk to me after it, like, "dude the next one i'll kick you", or "how did it happen", so he didnt even want to listen to what i had to say. Third: He didnt even take a look at my times and rates and stuff to judge me as a crasher, and Fourth: those people who adm this server should be the most flexibles in the server, they are the one who need to listen and see the replay because they are the ones who can ban someone with only one vote. When he kicked me first and i came back to talk to him he said like "say one more word...", like, who are you to tell me this ??? and didnt even have a AA tag on his nick name so i dont know if hes an adm or whatever, all i know is that he has priviledges somehow !! So im here to tell you guys (adm's) to watch this sort of people who think is a God, because this is ridiculous !!

First you are dealing with humans so mistakes will be made, sometimes a ban or a kick will come after many incidents and you bare the brunt of it, yes admins are human. I have kicked a few guys and shortly after rethought my actions. I dont think all admins should wear a tag, do you think that all police should ride around in marked cars? I hope you are back racing and enjoying yourself.

(95 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG