The online racing simulator
Use Xbox controller on pc
(12 posts, started )
Hello people,

I have got a Xbox controller for my pc.
Now i want to use it with LFS. But when I open LFS and I want to go on a circuit, it gives a error with: Program didn't work anymore.

Now someone how to fix this? I have searched at the forum, but can't find a answer for this.. :S

Please help me

Kunkine
Are you sure it's the controller? Tried to disconnect the controller a few times see if the same problems occurs? There shouldn't be any problems.

Is it a wired one? Official controller?
Yes, its the controller, without it it works perfect.
And its an official wired controller....
How about first launching LFS and drive around and then connect the controller, does that also make it crash?

Do other games work fine? Do you have other controllers connected?
What other hardware do you have connected to your computer? Anything unusual like anti-piracy dongles / iLok keys maybe?
I Will try to first drive around and than connect...
Other games works perfect..
And only my mouse and keyboard are connected..

Thanx for reactions!
I have try it, but don't work.
When im driving and i plug in my xbox controller i can drive with my mouse.. and when i go to settings and select to use joystick/gamepad, than the stop running. :S
Also it dont work without keyboard plugged in..

please other options???
Weird. Could be some kind of driver conflict, what OS btw, win7? At a guess the controller will 'just work' when plugged in without needing additional drivers, adding 3rd party drivers could cause confusion with multiple drivers trying to claim the device. Tweak utility's or profile managers could also cause similar problems.
Quote :Anything unusual like anti-piracy dongles / iLok keys maybe?

Quote :What do u mean with that?

They packet sniff USB communications and modify some packets, sometimes they get it wrong and modify stuff that has nothing to do with them. USB is a complicated protocol and includes a lot of stuff for hardware identification and configuration, usually this makes things 'just work' but in rare cases devices clash, unplugging everything but the device your having problems with should test for this.
Have the controller connected and in Device Manager uninstall it completely.
Disconnect the controller from the PC.
Restart the computer and once back on the desktop, plug in the controller and let it install Microsofts drivers for it and then see if it works?

If not, I'd recommend you try the XBCD drivers for it.. As then you'll have control over the deadzones and makes the controller a hell of a lot less sensitive to small movements of the joysticks
Quote :Have the controller connected and in Device Manager uninstall it completely.

Not sure how windows handles drivers for connected devices but with some 3g dongles this wont remove the driver even though it's uninstalled and removed from the list of installed software (vodafone dongles that also automatically install their vodafone network only driver when connected and will overwrite drivers for any other huawei dongles at the same time). Would suggest disconnecting > rebooting > removing driver > rebooting > connect device > install recommended driver, but the inner workings of windows are a mystery to me and if you've had success uninstalling with the device connected then its worth trying first.
Personally I have the newer all black wired gamepad which has worked perfectly fine since I first plugged it in, Although for anyone that uses or has used it will know that M$ drivers are awful and have little or no deadzones which make the sticks VERY sensitive to small movements in games, especially LFS.
I could literally turn almost every corner in LFS without moving the stick very much because they were so sensitive, and this is with a brand new controller just out the packaging! So its not like its a controller I've used for years and just worn out..Though it does get worse with usage as I found with my older gamepads.
After researching and finding the XBCD drivers for the xbox gamepads, although a little tricky to run on x64 without disabling windows driver signature checking automatically on boot. But after that it makes the gamepad A LOT more usable in games.

Although this will disable the automatic config in some games that support the xbox gamepad natively.. Such as GTAIV, Dirt3 which detect the xbox gamepad and set all controls as they were on the xbox, So as long as you're not too bothered about manually assigning your controls I highly recommend using the XBCD drivers

(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG