The online racing simulator
Quote from NitroNitrous :I've been planning to buy GT5 and the PS3 just to cruise around different tracks with my favorite cars. Isn't it a good game for that? I know neither of them is a proper sim but Forza feels just too arcadish...

Not bad for that and you have a track creator as well
One of my custom country road type tracks - pity they removed the A to B option
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFubfKkrIrU
And a high speed one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQuWWJg_xYw

Get the Spa DLC if you do so - nice track.
Or you could wait for GT6 - which will have Bathurst
Quote from sinbad :...but the physics won't wow you if you know better.

What's lacking and how does it affect your experience?
Quote from Mattesa :What's lacking and how does it affect your experience?

Weight shift is probably my biggest gripe. Tyres do not load/unload enough as the car is turned/braked/accelerated. Lift-off oversteer does not really exist in GT5.
Then there is the way cars handle jumps and kerbs far too gently. You could take the most stiffly sprung car over a huge inside kerb, and it just soaks it up and whilst the wheels may lift off the road a bit, they will just settle immediately on landing.

It's still fun enough, though.
Quote from sinbad :Weight shift is probably my biggest gripe. Tyres do not load/unload enough as the car is turned/braked/accelerated. Lift-off oversteer does not really exist in GT5.
Then there is the way cars handle jumps and kerbs far too gently. You could take the most stiffly sprung car over a huge inside kerb, and it just soaks it up and whilst the wheels may lift off the road a bit, they will just settle immediately on landing.

It's still fun enough, though.

Lol it sounds like you got GT and Forza mixed up, Forza is terrible for soft, no lift off oversteer handling while i feel GT5 is more neutral.

GT5 is still a console game but is probably one of the best handling console "sims" atm unless u goto the more hardcore Race Pro which is BS with a controller.

Its only really when using the arcadey racing medium or soft tyres that the handling gets numb/boring..
Quote from Foilpact :Lol it sounds like you got GT and Forza mixed up, Forza is terrible for soft, no lift off oversteer handling while i feel GT5 is more neutral.

GT5 is still a console game but is probably one of the best handling console "sims" atm unless u goto the more hardcore Race Pro which is BS with a controller.

Its only really when using the arcadey racing medium or soft tyres that the handling gets numb/boring..

I beg to differ. Try to get a fwd hot hatch to oversteer without using the handbrake, for more than that initial yaw which always corrects itself no matter what you do, and without putting a lower grip tyre on the rear. It's almost impossible.

I only use comfort tyres, and sports medium on race cars, purely for fun.

I like gt5, but don't kid yourself that it's particularly realistic.
I was really gutted about the Caterham Fireblade tbh, fully tuned it's something like 270+ bhp iirc, and the weight is down to something like 290kg after weight saving. That is immense bhp/per ton, it just does not feel like it should performance wise, feels really sluggish
Quote from sinbad :
It's not worth getting gt5 just for the Caterham Fireblade. It doesn't quite feel light, responsive and immediate in the way a 7 should, imo. But if you already have a ps3 definitely get gt5, it's enjoyable enough, and certain car/track combos are excellent, but the physics won't wow you if you know better.

Yep i do have a ps3 but im more tempted to pick up an nk pro licence tbh. if only there were more organised racing.
Thanks for the feedback
Quote from DejaVu :I was really gutted about the Caterham Fireblade tbh, fully tuned it's something like 270+ bhp iirc, and the weight is down to something like 290kg after weight saving. That is immense bhp/per ton, it just does not feel like it should performance wise, feels really sluggish

Really needs shorter gears
Shows how much I've been playing Forza cos I thought Motegi WAS already in GT5..
Quote from CoolColJ :Really needs shorter gears

It needs a better engine. I don't touch the car because it's so boring to drive.
Quote from sinbad :Weight shift is probably my biggest gripe. Tyres do not load/unload enough as the car is turned/braked/accelerated. Lift-off oversteer does not really exist in GT5.

I've never driven a FWD ouside a license test so I can't speak to hot hatches, but lift off is definitely present to various degrees on the RWDs. Some cars are more lethargic than others, but maybe that's an issue of default setup.

As for weight shift, trail brake deep into the corner with ABS off and watch your replay as single wheels lock up when the tire unloads. There's also lots of suspension movement with each wheel that somehow doesn't translate well to body movement on replays. I suspect its the camera moving with the car?
Good point onthe camera. I've alwasy thought the car looks alot more alive in replays than actually driving it.
Imo cars in gt5 generally do not pitch and roll anywhere near enough. Brake hard and the pitch forwards is too gentle, softly sprung powerful cars don't squat down off the line enough, and normal road cars from the 90s have far too much body control in aggressive direction changes. Plus cars never lift an inside wheel whilst cornering.
There are a few exceptions. The premium S2000 is much better than most, and the e-type actually looks like an old car, unlike most of the others
Played GT5 on party last week, I won every race but really compared to LFS this isnt simulation. your car automaticly slow down when approaching pits - WTFFFFFFF
Could some of you guys help me out with a picture?

I need a lot of people in Civics ranging from '79 to '08 to get a shot for a comp.
Quote from LineR32 :Could some of you guys help me out with a picture?

I need a lot of people in Civics ranging from '79 to '08 to get a shot for a comp.

Sure. What do I have to do and what is your PSN, I will add you.
<--- PSN is the same as my username.

You just need to bring 1 of the Civic's, it doesn't matter if it's tuned or not. Could do with 1 of each civic for the pic.
Quote from LineR32 :Could some of you guys help me out with a picture?

Can do, I have the '00 Spoon Sports Civic EK I can use if you want? or any other Civic lol!

Add me: lukepett93

What time were you thinking of doing it?
Added you.

I dunno yet, it depends on how many I can get for this. I was thinking of having the cars line up at an angle on the start/finish straight at Suzuka and get a race done so I can save the replay and get some pics.

I think there's 7 generations of the Civic in GT5, so having 7 to 11 people for this would be great. Seven people for the road cars, 11 for the 3 race models and 1 in the Spoon Civic if Possible.
Not yet, when I get enough people I'll post a date and time for this. Can make a night of it and have some PP races too.
PS3 is gathering dust anyway, I'm in, will add you once I get the chance.
I'll help as well, expect a request from Kid282.
Honda CIVIC 1500 3door 25i '83
Honda CIVIC 1500 3door CX '79
Honda CIVIC SiR-II (EG) '91
Honda CIVIC SiR-II (EG) '92
Honda CIVIC SiR-II (EG) '93
Honda CIVIC SiR-II (EG) '95
Honda CIVIC TYPE R '08
Honda CIVIC TYPE R (EK) '97
Honda CIVIC TYPE R (EK) '98
Honda CIVIC TYPE R (EK) RM '97
Honda CIVIC TYPE R (EP) '01
Honda CIVIC TYPE R (EP) '04