The online racing simulator
Fastest race lap record at Bathurst

Chris Gilmour
Dallara F307 - Mercedes Benz
Australian F3 Championship
Bathurst Motor Festival 2012, Race 2

2m 04.619s

http://youtu.be/PRrQeZN9Mt8
Since we don't get bike road racing coverage here... can someone explain a few things to me? Since every time I watch it it seems terribly exciting, I just have no idea what's going on

Why do they start in waves? How are the waves decided? It has sounded like it's still part of the same race in some other vids I've watched (not a lower class), can someone from the second wave win the race?

Also, I watched another vid just now from the related links... it was a superbike race I guess, but they were referring to some of the riders being on supersport bikes. What's the difference between the bikes, why can someone from a different class compete in the superbike race, and why are they actually able to maintain similar speeds?
Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :

Also, I watched another vid just now from the related links... it was a superbike race I guess, but they were referring to some of the riders being on supersport bikes. What's the difference between the bikes, why can someone from a different class compete in the superbike race, and why are they actually able to maintain similar speeds?

What might be the case you're referring to is that pretty much every rider that races those kind of tracks like Dundrod and the Manx race in EVERY single bike class bar side-cars.

Kinda like some NASCAR drivers doing Truck, Nationwide and Sprint races all in one meeting. Except there are about 5+ bike events at the IOM, I think 2010 Ian Hutchinson won all of the ones he entered.
Nah, they were definitely riding a different class bike in the race... I guess they must have had a problem with their superbike, and also had a lower class bike available, so they had to ride it if they wanted to race.

I just watched this vid, and i ... d up one of my questions. Anstey wins from the second wave, so that is possible... I still don't know how the determine the waves though.

Also, Michael Dunlop's bike blows up, but then it's red-flagged immediately afterwards, so he jumps on a supersport bike for the restart, ends up finishing 7th... Farquhar is also referred to as being on a supersport bike at the beginning. I guess they are a class regulated to lower power, so they are still legal in this race, but not as competitive? But the gap doesn't seem to be that massive.
Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :Nah, they were definitely riding a different class bike in the race... I guess they must have had a problem with their superbike, and also had a lower class bike available, so they had to ride it if they wanted to race.

I just watched this vid, and i ... d up one of my questions. Anstey wins from the second wave, so that is possible... I still don't know how the determine the waves though.

Also, Michael Dunlop's bike blows up, but then it's red-flagged immediately afterwards, so he jumps on a supersport bike for the restart, ends up finishing 7th... Farquhar is also referred to as being on a supersport bike at the beginning. I guess they are a class regulated to lower power, so they are still legal in this race, but not as competitive? But the gap doesn't seem to be that massive.

When you said that they'd jumped on super sports bikes I had to watch the video.
I think you're mis hearing stock as sport.

Supersport are 600s (4cyl) but they're quite significantly breathed on compared with the road versions. Super stock bikes are very standard 1000cc (4cyl) but it is indeed surprising how close they are to the race modified superbikes.

The Anstey win caused much controversy. I think it's a stupid system but they do it for safety at the start, it's a big field of bikes. Iirc it's simply qualifying times that determine your grid position and so which wave you're in.
Quote from sinbad :When you said that they'd jumped on super sports bikes I had to watch the video.
I think you're mis hearing stock as sport.

You are correct. It's less that I was mishearing it, than my memory being off a few minutes later when I was typing. Motorcycle racing has only caught my attention very recently... so I still know absolutely nothing about most of it

including many of the rules, classes, bikes, circuits... it's a whole different world in some respects
Quote from tristancliffe :some numpties at Oulton...

Unlucky that you got completely PIT'ed by that idiot Needham. I bet you all 100£ he turned left purposefully after he realized you were locked together judging by the way he tried to block you dangerously coming into the hairpin.

Well done for letting the car roll out of the way though, even if it did end you race.

I like how on the onboard video for that race via Chris Needham they don't show that incident at all. Wonder why?
Quote from BlueFlame :I like how on the onboard video for that race via Chris Needham they don't show that incident at all. Wonder why?

Because that wasn't him?

Tristan passed him several laps earlier.
Yeah, that was Mark Harrison. We shook hands afterwards, as I think I'll be racing him a lot this season, so no point falling out at this stage.
Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :Because that wasn't him?

Tristan passed him several laps earlier.

Quote from tristancliffe :Yeah, that was Mark Harrison. We shook hands afterwards, as I think I'll be racing him a lot this season, so no point falling out at this stage.

My bad. Still the guy is an idiot. He had enough room yet he still ran it up the track.
I'd say that he tied to carry more speed to keep me behind, which caused him to understeer into me. Racing incident.

And to be fair he defended well. That was the third or fourth time I'd tried to go round the outside there, and several other times at different corners I was alongside but on the outside. He was quite fair every other time.

I'll just try to beat him on Sunday at Donington!!
Quote from tristancliffe :I'd say that he tied to carry more speed to keep me behind, which caused him to understeer into me. Racing incident.

And to be fair he defended well. That was the third or fourth time I'd tried to go round the outside there, and several other times at different corners I was alongside but on the outside. He was quite fair every other time.

I'll just try to beat him on Sunday at Donington!!

It was still him to blame, he ran into YOU. Doesn't matter why.

You're just not aggressively confrontational as I then.
Looked to me like he realised he was about to get mugged

Good drive though, Tristan. Looks like a good series with a potentially useful prize at the end.
New year, New season, New car!

If you like my earlier Radical race onboard movies you should subscribe to my new channel BergewingRacing !

Here is a lap around Anderstorp from the second test of the season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRRWqoX-mP8
Quote from simme181 :New year, New season, New car!

How did last season end up going for you? Looks like fun

Racing videos
(4785 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG