The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Make sure to get the latest version. The first couple I posted had errors.

There's no way it's anywhere near 10 degrees on the F1 car during normal cornering of course. I'm not getting anywhere close to that even on the Solstice.

Did you change the functions to have the correct wheelbase and so on? It's very easy to make a mistake there. All four functions have to be changed in order to switch cars.
Yeah I have the latest version. Some of the flat out corners are not more than 4-5, however others are pretty high. Maybe I just missed something, will try again in the morning.

Thanks for posting it btw!
Ehh I don't know Todd. I copied and pasted the first time (exactly what you said not to I know) and that was my error, so then I started over and the front tires seem off but the rears seem about right, now.

Quite a bit of testing shows the F1 is taking corners at ridiculous speeds (feels like the oval cars now), mainly because it is "thrown in" so hard it is insane. Scrub isn't much of an issue either. I think the lap I'm using is just a prime example of it. On entry the slip can get quite high, however in the middle it drops off quite nicely, while staying about the same or going up a small amount on exit.

Simple testing here of just looking at the rears I see:
Peak (mistake going into a corner I believe, however saved, minimal time loss): 12.6deg
Average (slow speed) entry slip (excluding mistake): 6.68333
Average off throttle mid corner slip: 3.273
Average on throttle exit slip: 5.34111

The problem is how much you can get away with (if those numbers are accurate). In the fast corners it looks a good 3deg all the way through the corner, however in the slow corners it can go anywhere from 2.5 to 8 depending on what part of the corner it is. Just seems like you can get away with way too much.

And my front tire parameters must be borked, averaging nearly double the slip in some of the slow corners (fast corners is fine).

Ugh the time... time for bed.
http://vimeo.com/33762153

There is definitely still a lot wrong with the NTM in iRacing. As you say we can get away with large slip angles, but the weird thing is most of the time you don't need to countersteer, as the car will wash out again by itself. For bigger slides, again countersteering is a dangerous thing to do, since you can easily snap the other way. The best technique (and this was true with the OTM of course) is to press both pedals and steer further inwards. :|
Yeah it is as if we can turn in so much that the rear steps out but the fronts are just washing out with it "saving itself". Maybe that's why I'm getting the high amount of slip on the front.
Like a BAUSS
It reminds me of those terrible arcade shooters (literally the ones at the arcade) with the tiny FOV and all this crazy stuff happening within like 2 feet of the viewpoint.
I'm ****ing sick of iRacing. No offence to any Americans on here, I'm sure you're all good people, but when there are 20000 braindead inbred redneck idiotic ****ing morons on the service acting like bitches on the forums and acting like ****ing wankers in races, it makes me want to ****ing kill myself. I love oval racing, but not anymore. I would love to know how much money the community of iRacing have lost them. It puts me off to the stage where I'm sabotaging myself just to get myself banned from the forums and voice/text chat, just because I can't keep my mouth shut at the idiots. It's taking all my strength not to reply to the pathetic "omg he called us idiots" protest e-mails from Nim Cross by telling him to look in a mirror and to go on a ****ing diet.

Prime example #1, they gave away a track for free today. Civilised, thinking people realise this is a good thing. But no, these ****ing wankers start complaining and moaning that they previously paid for the track, so they should be reimbursed, given vouchers, sucked off, just because they dared to release a track for free. It's unbelievable. The LFS community isn't perfect, but can you imagine any 1 single person complaining about the devs giving us something for free?

Scavier, please hurry up.
Please tell me someone's trolling now and saying they didn't buy the track but had simply purchased the license to use it for a period of time.

On a side note, I subscribed to iRacing for a full year in November, but I don't think I've touched it since the week I bought it. Every time I come to this thread it's just like, Why'd I even bother getting it?
Would gladly relieve you of it, if I could.

Run some road series, Mustang or Skippy is good. IndyCar fixed is also nice to run (if you have the content). Dunno about the Oval side but Im enjoying the road racing.
I didn't think of that Rappa, I'm on it

The only way I can get any enjoyment out of iRacing is by banning myself from running Nascar, which is a shame since it's pretty much my favourite type of racing. I absolutely love the tandem drafting on the super speedways now, but my ping is too high to do it, so even that's out.

That's another annoying thing, they obviously spent a good few quid on the Dutch servers and then they barely get used. Pointless.
I wanted to know what is Ground effect.
I found the meaning of it:
It's iRacing's version of the nintendo code. If you throttle and brake at the same time, you unlock ground effects.
And if sitting on the grid you hit left, left, right, right, throttle, throttle, brake, brake, upshift, downshift, pitlimiter, then stand on your head and whistle the kumbaya, you get a nitro boost.

I will try it
Quote from Klouczech :I wanted to know what is Ground effect.
I found the meaning of it:
It's iRacing's version of the nintendo code. If you throttle and brake at the same time, you unlock ground effects.
And if sitting on the grid you hit left, left, right, right, throttle, throttle, brake, brake, upshift, downshift, pitlimiter, then stand on your head and whistle the kumbaya, you get a nitro boost.

I will try it

If you can play electric piano while driving I recommend you trying to play the Jump by Van Halen. That way you gain extra position at the end of each lap. However if you happen to have electric guitar you might try playing the sweet home alabama during safety car periods. It changes your spotter to speak in thick southern accent and unlocks the super power of ramming other people off without losing any safety rating.
Quote from Hyperactive :If you can play electric piano while driving I recommend you trying to play the Jump by Van Halen. That way you gain extra position at the end of each lap. However if you happen to have electric guitar you might try playing the sweet home alabama during safety car periods. It changes your spotter to speak in thick southern accent and unlocks the super power of ramming other people off without losing any safety rating.

I choose Sweet home Alabama, because I played it many times in Guitar Hero on the plastic guitar.
:bat:
I got a protest and Nim said I intentionally wrecked someone when my engine blew at Michigan in the trucks and I stayed high for as long as possible before having to go low to retire.

Also on the ovals I've been turned around for the win many times. Most of the people there are old men, who think they can drive, but in reality aren't apt in basic car control but on another note :

Anyone notice that the oval side of the game compared with the road side is like playing a completely different game???
Quote from BlueFlame :I got a protest and Nim said I intentionally wrecked someone when my engine blew at Michigan in the trucks and I stayed high for as long as possible before having to go low to retire.

Also on the ovals I've been turned around for the win many times. Most of the people there are old men, who think they can drive, but in reality aren't apt in basic car control but on another note :

Anyone notice that the oval side of the game compared with the road side is like playing a completely different game???

The oval side is full of wankers, the road side isn't. It's a shame oval racing is so much fun.
Quote from DeKo :The oval side is full of wankers, the road side isn't. It's a shame oval racing is so much fun.

Yea Oval racing is alot of fun, it's just so hard to get in a race where people don't get wrecked and then coast all over the track to cause as much collateral damage as possible before disconnecting.
By the way...
I don't remember much how the old physics beahved in the past but now when I drive the Mazda (or basically any car), I don't feel as connected to the car and as I do in LFS, I don't know if it's me. However, the cars handling is unpredictable sometimes. I turn my wheel a bit less - massive oversteer, and a bit more - uncontrollable slide and spin. Jus my 2c.
Quote from Flame CZE :By the way...
I don't remember much how the old physics beahved in the past but now when I drive the Mazda (or basically any car), I don't feel as connected to the car and as I do in LFS, I don't know if it's me. However, the cars handling is unpredictable sometimes. I turn my wheel a bit less - massive oversteer, and a bit more - uncontrollable slide and spin. Jus my 2c.

It's like that for all I think.
Quote from Flame CZE :By the way...

iRacing never felt as responsive as LFS to me. It just does not feel as if _you_ are driving it and feeling it..

One of the reasons why I haven't subbed again for few months now
Yeah if I was blindfolded and put behind the wheel of each sim (nKp, LFS, rF2, iR) I could pretty much pick iR out of the 4 so easy. I just pick which was is numb. Apparently in real life you feel nothing through the wheel, therefore is sims you shall feel nothing through the wheel. I guess even curbs do nothing.

I've driven oval cars and yes the wheels are supposed to be rather dead. I never went past karting on the road side so I have no idea how it should feel over curbs, offtrack, etc.

As far as comparison with LFS, the cars just don't feel like they have weight.
Quote from PMD9409 :Yeah if I was blindfolded and put behind the wheel of each sim (nKp, LFS, rF2, iR)

TBH I think you'd just crash.
Quote from J@tko :TBH I think you'd just crash.

Okay, on a big airport with nothing to crash into. Happy?
Quote from PMD9409 :Yeah if I was blindfolded and put behind the wheel of each sim (nKp, LFS, rF2, iR) I could pretty much pick iR out of the 4 so easy. I just pick which was is numb. Apparently in real life you feel nothing through the wheel, therefore is sims you shall feel nothing through the wheel. I guess even curbs do nothing.

I've driven oval cars and yes the wheels are supposed to be rather dead. I never went past karting on the road side so I have no idea how it should feel over curbs, offtrack, etc.

As far as comparison with LFS, the cars just don't feel like they have weight.

Wait, are you're saying iRacing feels numb in comparison to LFS?
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG