The online racing simulator
Quote from bmwe30m3 :dadge, the facepalm is at your part.
I think what E.Reiljans meant was that AutoPilot's examples were from older cars, when the gfx card were still ATi not AMD, even if AMD owned ATi back then, the cards were called ATi, 4k series and 200 series aint that new anymore.

Jesus, the article is less than 3 years old. That was the first thing I found when googling "failure rates graphics cards". If you're gonna say "X is better than Y", then maybe it should include the last couple years at least, and not a single series from two particular manufacturers.
If Mercedes S had lower failure rates than BMW X5 in Spain in 2011, does that mean that statistically Mercedes cars have lower failure rates than BMW, and citing a result from 2009 is like comparing cars from the 80's?
Quote from bmwe30m3 :dadge, the facepalm is at your part.
I think what E.Reiljans meant was that AutoPilot's examples were from older cars, when the gfx card were still ATi not AMD, even if AMD owned ATi back then, the cards were called ATi, 4k series and 200 series aint that new anymore.

No. It doesn't matter how many times you change the name. the hardware is made with the same components, in the same factories, by the same people. even sold at the same price. so, what's exactly is different?
it's a case of vauxhaul nova or opel corsa. same shite, same bucket. only this time it's called manure.
Quote from dadge :No. It doesn't matter how many times you change the name. the hardware is made with the same components, in the same factories, by the same people. even sold at the same price. so, what's exactly is different?

There are a number of differences between graphics cards of today and a few years ago. To name a few (but not all):

Process/lithography
Foundry
Suppliers (e.g. of components such as capacitors)
Power regulation

To say the cards of today are the made with the same components in the same factories as even 3 years ago is to completely miss the point of technological progress.
I do not think dadge was implying the cards are the same as three years ago. What I think he means is that a change of name, ATi to AMD in this case, does not change (read: make it better/worse than before) the quality of a card.
Quote from Bose321 :I do not think dadge was implying the cards are the same as three years ago. What I think he means is that a change of name, ATi to AMD in this case, does not change (read: make it better/worse than before) the quality of a card.

Quote from Bose321 :I do not think dadge was implying the cards are the same as three years ago. What I think he means is that a change of name, ATi to AMD in this case, does not change (read: make it better/worse than before) the quality of a card.

Quote from dadge :

The problem with that defence is that bmwe30m3 was clearly distinguishing between the "ATi" and "AMD" times as being distinct. If you really want to use this defence, dadge, then I think you've misunderstood the post you quoted.

edit: For example, the "Northern Islands" / HD6000 series was the first series to be marketed only under the AMD brand. Clearly the HD6000 and HD5000 (which was still marketed under the ATi brand, at least in part) are different.
like the difference between "the news of the world" and "the sun on sunday"?

Edit. The only reason ATI was changed to AMD was for marketing purposes. My point was that the company still buys its components from the same suppliers than when they used to be called ATI. the cards are built by the same people that built the ATI cards. So wouldn't it be right to think that the same failure rates would exist?
Quote from dadge :like the difference between "the news of the world" and "the sun on sunday"?

Edit. The only reason ATI was changed to AMD was for marketing purposes. My point was that the company still buys its components from the same suppliers than when they used to be called ATI. the cards are built by the same people that built the ATI cards. So wouldn't it be right to think that the same failure rates would exist?

So you're agreeing that your "thumbs up" approval of Bose321's post was actually bullshit?

The point I was making was that some of the changes I listed above (which do occur on moves from one generation to the next, and even occur within the same generation on occasion) could account for a significant difference in failure rates. Moving from one process to another (e.g. 55nm to 40nm or 40nm to 28nm) involves a massive amount of development and testing. This alone can easily account for a spike in failures and an severe problem of binning higher quality parts before the process matures.
I agreed with him because that the point i was making. don't try to read something that isn't there.
looking at the numbers provided, it seems that the higher the performance, the higher the fail rate. even more when new technology is introduced. so i would say that the fail rate is higher when new components are add/upgraded. don't forget, it's mass production we're talking about. failures are part of the job. the failure rate usually stays the same. it's output that goes up.
Logitech g27
Dualcore AMD Athlon II X2 240, 2815 Mhz
Nvidia nForce 6100-4xx, AMD K10
Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT FX
Monitor LG 21P
Internet 3M

With this im very happy
Old Intel sucked, Old AMD was king, ATi has always sucked.

Anyone who even SUGGESTS that ATi drivers are or ever have been good, need a serious psyche examination.

End this now.

That is all.
Quote from BlueFlame :Old Intel sucked, Old AMD was king, ATi has always sucked.

Anyone who even SUGGESTS that ATi drivers are or ever have been good, need a serious psyche examination.

End this now.

That is all.

Quote from BlueFlame :Old Intel sucked, Old AMD was king, ATi has always sucked.

End this now.

That is all.

lol. Nearly 24 hours late.
Quote from dadge :lol. Nearly 24 hours late.

Well y'all know I don't read anything.
Yay, picked up some stuff this morning!

Bada bing bada boom.

Now the long wait for Kepler shall begin.
Attached images
IMG_0413.jpg
IMG_0449.jpg
Quote from Matrixi :Yay, picked up some stuff this morning!

+1 because joystick in shelf.

+10 because rig.
Quote from Matrixi :Yay, picked up some stuff this morning!

Bada bing bada boom.

Now the long wait for Kepler shall begin.

Holy mother of god, that case is HUGE. Seriously, a full-sized ATX board looks same in it as miniITX mobo looks in mine. D:
I guess it's even bigger than your Mac Pro?
In terms of size, ACTS 840 > All.

I think I posted a picture of it earlier in this thread... massive
Quote from E.Reiljans :Holy mother of god, that case is HUGE. Seriously, a full-sized ATX board looks same in it as miniITX mobo looks in mine. D:
I guess it's even bigger than your Mac Pro?

Oh by far. The (now sold) Mac Pro was about the size of my P182, which the Cosmos 2 makes look like a puny midi tower.

Quite happy with the build so far, the cpu water pump is a bit noisier than I expected, but I'll try to learn to live with it until I can get something better.
Big cases ftw...

Always liked the Cosmos, but it wasn't available in Black when I bought mine
Quote from Jakg :In terms of size, ACTS 840 > All.

ATCS 840 is tiny compared to Silverstone TJ11.
Quote from E.Reiljans :ATCS 840 is tiny compared to Silverstone TJ11.

*googles*

Ooooh, I like

*checks price*

WTF! £475 for a case!

EDIT - Thats £50 more than I sold my old car for!
Quote from Jakg :*googles*

Ooooh, I like

*checks price*

WTF! £475 for a case!

EDIT - Thats £50 more than I sold my old car for!

should have swapped it for a case... lol
Took a better shot of the internals.. and fixed the noisy H100 pump with a little diode: clip. Apparently the problem was caused by the pump not being able to withstand any excess voltage above 12V, and mine was running around 12.1V. Kind of shoddy engineering from Corsair not to build any kind of voltage regulator inside the cooler to keep things under 12V.
Attached images
IMG_0067.jpg
I jelly..

Post your "LFS" rig..
(3080 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG