The online racing simulator
What the hell, guys. I have to agree with the finn, I kinda like it.
^ That. I bet the engine sound is nice, but not in that video. Loudness (i.e. too loud for the mic) = great sound
Quote from ACCAkut ::end thread:

787B ...(new footage from last year)

Sounded like shit. 787b is distorted like hell from any mic it seems, also what's ironic is people who've heard the 787b in the flesh would agree its an ugly painful sound. Most Le Mans regulars were glad to see it go for the sound alone.
Quote from BlueFlame :787b is distorted like hell from any mic it seems

Nope, no clipping in this vid.
Quote from ATHome :Nope, no clipping in this vid.

You're either deaf, or trolling. When you hear nothing but a painful white noise. Yes it's clipping like hell.
Quote from BlueFlame :You're either deaf, or trolling. When you hear nothing but a painful white noise. Yes it's clipping like hell.

Nope. But maybe you should get your ears checked or stop trolling.

Go check for yourself. You will be very suprised.

By the way: White noise has nothing to do with clipping.
Quote from ATHome :Nope. But maybe you should get your ears checked or stop trolling.

Go check for yourself. You will be very suprised.

By the way: White noise has nothing to do with clipping.

white noise and clipping can sound the same to the naked ear, besides being a typical german you've taken it out of context, showing the different between white noise and the 787b video but not showing the audiable differences. But it was an exaggeration of course, maybe my ears have been damaged but 787b is a painful mess to all.

To put it another way , the reason white noise is called white noise isn't because of it's shape but of because how it sounds to the ear.

So to paste this hear saying SEE THEY SOUND NOTHING ALIKE is a childsplay attempt at defending a point, it would be like pasting a picture of an Opel Astra saying 787b is nothing like white noise!
Quote from BlueFlame :burping, really

Seriously, I wonder sometimes if your skull is only there to keep your head from caving in... How about you read what clipping is, maybe look at pretty pictures too - maybe then you'll understand that there is absolutely no clipping in the wave ATHome showed you...

Also, there was no clipping in the video... With such short distance to the car, that must have needed a serious setup, hats off!
:munching_
So, let's conclude:

Quote :You're either deaf, or trolling. When you hear nothing but a painful white noise. Yes it's clipping like hell.

First of all, white noise is always white noise. There is no such thing as a painful white noise.

Then there's that:

Quote :...you've taken it out of context, showing the different between white noise and the 787b video but not showing the audiable differences

So, at first you say the 787B video sounds like "nothing but painful white noise" and then I'm "not showing the audiable differences". Wait, what?

You must get your head straight: At first it sounds like white noise and then it suddenly has audiable differences that I'm somehow not showing, besides the fact I've shown you the waveform from the video versus white noise, in the same timescale, and they are not even comparable.

And mechanical clipping, may it be from the recording gear or the sound system, will under no circumstances ever sound the same as white noise.

I guess you are judging sound with bad audio equipment (e.g. laptop speakers, desktop sound systems, sub-50€ headphones) and ****ed up soundcard settings. Oh, and of course you are judging with no knowledge at all.
You still don't understand do you. A human interpretation of something can be different to a scientific interperatation. Waveforms don't show you how something SOUNDS to your ear, if you can name a song from waveform though, I'd be bloody impressed.
*edit* Oops wrong thread
Quote from BlueFlame :You're either deaf, or trolling. When you hear nothing but a painful white noise. Yes it's clipping like hell.

I'm not sure you understand what clipping means. A severely clipped waveform looks like this...

Compare to the above from the 787 video, if there is any clipping in that video then its its a very very minute amount.

Quote from BlueFlame :You still don't understand do you. A human interpretation of something can be different to a scientific interperatation. Waveforms don't show you how something SOUNDS to your ear, if you can name a song from waveform though, I'd be bloody impressed.

You can tell the difference between two sounds by looking at their wave forms, that's why all decent audio recording software goes to the trouble of producing them. For example Sonar operators can identify an object (be it a school of fish or a ship etc) by looking at the wave form of received sound signals (in the case of passive, listening sonar). You may not be able to identify a specific song, but you'll certainly be able to see if its clipping, or distinguish a sound from white noise.

The best race car and roadcar sounds thread
(416 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG