The online racing simulator
Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
I have bought and tested rF2 beta for a couple of days and here is my conclusion:

If you want entertainment and sense of speed then rF2 60´s F1 cars on spa is a treat.

If you want realistic physics and an in depht DRIVING SIM, look elsewere.

The FFB is good but the physics are not. This gives you a very detaliled feeling of road surface, but not of grip, weight transfer etc. The physics doesnt seem to respond very well to your input either. Just a simple; Skid>countersteer full lock>recovery.

I hope this changes during the beta stage because there are many other good aspects of rF2. Unfortunatly for now it feels like they tried to distract you from the driving itself with fancy features.
well i still reckon LFS feels more real, but i am hoping that considering the full rFactor2 is NOT OUT for at least another 6 months, there is still loads of work to do...infact in the beta there are loads of stuff still turned off, including part of the tyre model....so all hope is not lost yet.....
you can not judge a game by an early beta release (as LFS is not really a beta in the same way)

I just wish we had rfactor2 cars and tracks with LFS feel

roll on the next upgrades for both sims

Simon
The biggest problem with Rfactor compared to live for speed is that Rfactor does not feel like the cars have weight, and the suspension bounce and spring does not get conveyed well enough.

Live for speed actually visually and with force feedback "feels" like you're actually in a car, rfactor feels like a train riding on tracks.

Both are good though
have you tried the historx mod? 1.9?
I've downloaded Historix 1.9- and I absolutely love it ! don't forget it is rF1 only tho..
I still feel LFS is the champion on multiplayer and driving feel, but the awesome content / graphics / sound of the Historix saloons means I tend to open that up first these days :-/
Plus being able to thrash them around the Nurbugring / Isle of Man Course / your-favourite-circuit-here and all the British Touring Car tracks is a big draw to me..

I am really looking forwards to LFS taking it up another gear - I just wish they would do a deal with some of the talented Mod teams out there.. (I know this has been discussed to a death already). Don't panic tho Scavier, LFS got me into Sim Racing and I love your work ideal. I'll be stumping up the pennies for S3 as soon as it is ready

Cheers

Rob
well..I downloaded rfactor 2..kinda' impress me when I tried the f1 67's cars..but then then.I've tried the mods renault megane and the other mod I don't remember right now..absolutely depressing I know it is in beta stage but..com'on!..not too much will change when the official sim comes out..it's almost finish I think..in that moment I realize what this lfs sim will mean when the s3 is finished..guys!..my best guess..is that the S3 will change every aspect in sim racing (forget about graphics and that stupid things that little kids like)..when S3 comes out it will kick asses..I'm not a fan boy, as you can see I'm a demo racer....Richard Burns rally and Live for speed S3 the top simulators of all time..I'm not just saying, I know it will be..sorry for the worst english you had ever heard..ahaha
Quote from rod-kb :I'm not a fan boy

So how about giving at least once a reason why rFactor 2 sux instead of saying its just sux.
And than claiming LFS is the best sim ever even tho it doesnt really simulates anything except tire physics.
I mean the physics is great too bad the rest of the sim cant keep up the pace.
Quote from rod-kb :forget about graphics and that stupid things that little kids like

And which are those things?
From your post I get the impression that rFactor2 is riddled with things that little kids likes (not that its a bad thing, I mean how something become bad just because little kids like it, I am guessing you are trying to insult people liking rFactor by claiming they all immature for liking stuff "little kids like" well that sure was mature)

Anyway what are those things that we shouldnt like or that makes rFactor 2 a bad sim?
Quote from rod-kb :forget about graphics and that stupid things that little kids like

if you're not that keen on graphics i've still got a 31 year old TRS-80 that has a drag simulator where you input horsepower, weight, gearing etc and then it gives you a list of your speed and distance traveled every .5 of a sec
well after afew years playing lfs im sick of it on so many levels mainly bec i can see the diff to real life.. i tried I racing for the first time at a autosport show & was shocked how much bette it is. just saying adios im out of here I will pop back in 10 years it will still be the same
Dunno if you all knows but LFS S3 is still tested by LFS beta tester...so Rfactor developpers simply decided to add everyone to beta tester.
Quote from SennaSS :well after afew years playing lfs im sick of it on so many levels mainly bec i can see the diff to real life.. i tried I racing for the first time at a autosport show & was shocked how much bette it is. just saying adios im out of here I will pop back in 10 years it will still be the same

Cool story br0, this thread isn't about "i racing" though.

I think here is the thread you're looking for -> http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1672526#post1672526
haha..sorry if I said that rfactor 2 sux..I was not tryin' to say that!!!,..rfactor 1 sux...that's for sure!..rfactor 2 is great..well!..just a few words "I made a mental comparison between this two sims somthin like..well rfactor today have this but lfs have this for like 5 years,then.... I'll better keep my mouth shut..you'll see it when its time..it's all about time..always time with lfs..I'm drunk bye
Any explanation for the fact that users' English level tend to decrease when this kind of thread appear ?
If they can get the WEIGHT feeling fixed in RF2 in final, it will be hard to beat them until LFS release some more content and fix tyre physics.
Quote from libben :it will be hard to beat them until LFS release some more content and fix tyre physics.

Disagree with you here, lets see at pace at which lfs devs release stuff.

Scawen : Well cant really complain here, he is responsible for physics and he made a good tire model and still work on it, although his decision not to develop any other aspect of the sim except tire model is a bit questionable.

Victor : Responsible for sounds too bad the quality is not the best and I dont see any development in the matter.
Also write utilities for LFS and I think is responsible for website.
In any case I dont expect a lot of said content from him.

Eric : I guess I should stop now

So for me content released at current rate is not enough.
The only chance I see for LFS is mods and not mods when S3 comes out but mods now while LFS is not a cold body swimming down the river of time.
But here is another funny thing due to engine limitations even if mods would be allowed, you wont be able to drive nordschleife or targa florio or anything of that magnitude simply because engine wont support it.
You wont see rain in the LFS and it will continue to ignore existence of multi core processors.

Of course those aspects could be improved with right amount of work but lets face it, its all up to Scawen, he wont hire anyone else, he refuse any help from modders, and even if he would work on it, he is still only one man unless there is miracle he wont do it anytime soon.
And by the time he make it I doubt I still be around LFS.

As for now I am sticking to LFS just because it have fun physics but its more of a curiosity than a game.
The tracks are bland and boring, the cars are average at best and the amount of cars/tracks was not enough to glue me to the screen for more than a few months.
For me LFS is like being together with the same girl for years. You still love her, but the erotic spark is a bit gone. But one day you'll come home and she has bought herself some new dessous, got a new haircut and starts to rip your clothes off as soon as you enter the door.
Quote from Keling :Any explanation for the fact that users' English level tend to decrease when this kind of thread appear ?

And the oh so bloody superior replies knocking others for bad English
Quote from Chupacabras84 :Victor : Responsible for sounds too bad the quality is not the best and I dont see any development in the matter.
Also write utilities for LFS and I think is responsible for website.
In any case I dont expect a lot of said content from him.

Victor doesn't do the car sounds as far as I'm aware.
Correct I just checked credits and he is listed as a webmaster.
In any case that still leaves us with Scaven and Eric as a potential content providers
And my point about pace of work still stands unfortunately.
Thats too bad I really would like drive around some well known tracks in LFS and of course not only well known but also well made and at this point most tracks for rfactor look better than everything in LFS (LFS thanks to HR textures and Lynce look neat and smooth but feels very empty and lifeless imo :shrug
Although I gotta say its again Lynce did one hell of a job thanks to him cars in LFS look great.
Since I missed it somehow I figure out i give a heads up for everyone who missed it just like me.
RealFeel plugin 0938
TechAde incorporated some features of Leo FFB into his new RealFeel (Leo's FFB Parking Lot and front grip effect).
In RealFeelPlugin.ini there is line "DefaultFrontGripEffect" for some reason its 0 by default.
Quote :This is a bit of a fudge that when set above zero will provide an additional steering force reduction when the front tyres are sliding. Maximum recommended value is 1.0 which will provide a 100% drop in force when 100% of the contact patch is sliding.

In Leo's FFB plugin, you had to read from various car files values to set it properly.
Front Grip Level in RealFeel detects when front wheels lose traction and reduce FFB, it works like a charm and totally changes the way you feel oversteer and understeer trough your steering wheel.

When your car front start sliding even a bit you feel it instantly and when you turn your wheels past their optimum grip level, force drops depending on how much grip is lost.
In Leo's it was a bit abrupt, when tires were past their optimum slip angle, the wheel was instantly numb and then even tried to snap further into corner.
In RealFeel the force lost is gradual and wheel never goes completely numb unless your tires have no grip at all, its implemented pretty good.
While wheel is unresponsive and and stay in place when you under/oversteer it will offer some weak resistance if you try to turn it, you can tell your wheel is numb but you dont feel like your tires lost contact with ground.

And that is pure basics for people who not really know how reallfeel.ini works (If there are still people like this )

There are two lines to change.
"DefaultFrontGripEffect" in General section this is the value that will be automatically assigned to every car you take for a ride (Set it to 1)

"FrontGripEffect" in car section (when you take a car first time for a spin it creates setting for this particular car) its assigned automatically and then it have same value as DefaultFrontGripEffect".

If you have a list of RF settings for some mod like historix then you can ctrl+F in notepad++ search and replace FrontGripEffect=0.000000 to FrontGripEffect=1.000000 (It will automatically search and replace all the entry's so no need to sit there and painstakingly edit it with notepad).

As for now it works great with every mod I tried.
Quote from ATHome :For me LFS is like being together with the same girl for years. You still love her, but the erotic spark is a bit gone. But one day you'll come home and she has bought herself some new dessous, got a new haircut and starts to rip your clothes off as soon as you enter the door.

i don't wanna know
Anyone got an old copy of rfactor they dont use anymore? Just lookin for a code, as i found an old disk i had lying around.
That's all very nice...

... but the physics are still shit.

Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG