The online racing simulator
Inventor is also a paremetric sketch based system. But I find it much easier to make a design, add holes, thread holes, do cross sections, make drawing views and produce realistic views (whilst I'm working on it - using the realview thingy in Solidworks doesn't work for me).

We've still got SW at work, so I'll keep experimenting now and again, and I'm sure if I could get my head around the working method it'd become relatively easy againm but my mind just suits Autodesk's mindset.

Ultiamtely, I tried SW because I'm insanely jealous of your creation.
Quote from tristancliffe :Inventor is also a paremetric sketch based system. But I find it much easier to make a design, add holes, thread holes, do cross sections, make drawing views and produce realistic views (whilst I'm working on it - using the realview thingy in Solidworks doesn't work for me).

We've still got SW at work, so I'll keep experimenting now and again, and I'm sure if I could get my head around the working method it'd become relatively easy againm but my mind just suits Autodesk's mindset.

Ultiamtely, I tried SW because I'm insanely jealous of your creation.

these programs are just tools, whichever one enables you to be most effective and works with your way of thinking is the right one to use.

creating one's own car is a very frustrating but also a very rewarding process. i don't know much about your background but if you have an interest in doing that i would encourage you to go for it. it'll likely take years (see www.kimini.com - the guy took 10 years to complete his design) but just the learning experience is well worth it. whatever tools you use is secondary.
Now you've opened a can of worms...

Prototypes and CAD, two of my most favorite subjects.

I live for the day we have a Prototype car in LFS. One of our best drivers is on a iRacing hiatus and I don't expect to get him back until we see a Prototype in LFS.

I've used AutoCAD for over 20 years. I began modeling solids in AutoCAD with release 14. Now I own my own license of Inventor 11, Mechanical Desktop and AutoCAD Mechanical. Inventor is the premium Autodesk product by far. I have used Pro E in the past but haven't gotten into Solid Works or Solid Edge.

With manufacturing leaving this country, so has a lot of mechanical/product engineering and design. I have had to leave the industry and enter Architecture. Now I am back at AutoCAD with a poorly written add-on called Microvellum, engineering wood cabinetry.

Oh well, at least there is LFS when I get home every day and the ongoing dream of driving a Prototype...
Quote from MARSH2a :...I have had to leave the industry and enter Architecture. Now I am back at AutoCAD ...

AutoCAD for Architecture, get with the times hippe and take a look at Revit Architecture (still Autodesk - well they bought it anyway)
@ DP - Any idea when we could learn more about the Atom-esque Two seater you have generated? It looks awesome too.

The alternate Body for the DP1 is interesting, but not as appealing to me. The 95% cost you mention is interesting, is that mainly if you produced a new mold for the body? I remember that the mold cost was a pretty extreme first cost.

-----------------------------------------------------

Quote from KSheppard :AutoCAD for Architecture, get with the times hippe and take a look at Revit Architecture (still Autodesk - well they bought it anyway)

Revit for MEP is about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop . It's unintuitive, overly complicated, and in some cases (plumbing) just doesn't work. No wonder Architect types love it. It would be appreciated if you didn't mentioned the name Revit ever again, or at least for a couple of years until it is usable. Thanks.
I have gone from using autocad, to vectorworks, now, thats a truely bad piece of "CAD" software
Quote from srdsprinter :...Revit for MEP is about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop . It's unintuitive, overly complicated, and in some cases (plumbing) just doesn't work. No wonder Architect types love it. It would be appreciated if you didn't mentioned the name Revit ever again, or at least for a couple of years until it is usable. Thanks.

lol agreed MEP is a pant load of work just to be useable but arch & struc will be the downfall of autocad

/off topic
Quote from srdsprinter :@ DP - Any idea when we could learn more about the Atom-esque Two seater you have generated? It looks awesome too.

The alternate Body for the DP1 is interesting, but not as appealing to me. The 95% cost you mention is interesting, is that mainly if you produced a new mold for the body? I remember that the mold cost was a pretty extreme first cost.

i'll post specs and more pictures soon, probably two-three weeks. but basically it's powered by a 5.7L chevy LS 'crate motor' sitting longitudinally and driving a transaxle. RWD, 400-600hp, 1,600 lbs. target price around $40K for a roller (no engine or gearbox). it'll be sold as a kit or complete roller so if you don't like the LS then pretty much anything would fit in there.

to clarify the 95% thing - what i meant is that dp1 is 95% cheaper than ferrari FXX (i.e. 5% of $2.5M, give or take
#484 - Dac
its an awesome idea to build one and id love to do it myself. however id prefer to drive a manufactures car in LFS than a custom job. just doesnt have the same appeal to me.
nice bump, I've been following DP cars development in the last years. I shows how far you can go if you have a vision and determination.

Its going to be an interesting year for Pike Peak, all paved, wonder how much european hill climb machinery will start there. All those Osellas, F3000s, Golf Mk1s ()

btw, that site shows what happened to dpcars offer to the Devs:

Quote :We have extensively simulated the D4 Turbo in rFactor driving simulator on a virtual Pikes Peak course and have confirmed that at least theoretically an overall time below 9:30 is possible.

Quote from ACCAkut :nice bump, I've been following DP cars development in the last years. I shows how far you can go if you have a vision and determination.

How far you can go in DP?
I can't believe that a guy that would spend $120,000 on a dpcar didn't get a nice number made up for when he was on the track, haha, that tape just looks so out of place
Bump of the year nominated...

This looks like a cool car.

DP1 in LFS possibility [warning : large images]
(489 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG