The online racing simulator
Because I want to.
I don't know what to think really. Have been driving the meganes mostly and it has the typical isi handling. Very snappy on the limit, power oversteer is very sudden and once the rear steps out far enough it's game over. When taking corners and getting back on throttle on 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear it just either grips or breaks loose unpredictably. Haven't tried rain yet.

Tried briefly the formulas but wasn't positively impressed. Been messing with all kinds of settings so need to revisit those soon...

Online is strange. At least at times. I tried doing few races and on the first server my car was randomly slowing down and speeding up while driving and other cars looked really jerky. Then on other server it was better and generally no problems. Maybe it was just high pings but it doesn't really help when you can not see the pings to servers anywhere. It's not exactly a great idea not showing the ping to the server on the server searching screen...

In the last race I did I started hearing raining sound but there was no change of grip nor did the track surface get wet either. Some fog also appeared. I'm using very low graphics settings so maybe I just missed the rain or something...

User interface is not very good and I'm betting 100€ that the gui developer has an ipad or some other touchscreen device... and he probably uses his tongue, or well eh, to use it... The way you browse the tracks and cars and mod packs is clearly made for some touchscreen product. For mouse it sucks imho. It's not really bad now but when you have dozens of mods, cars and tracks it will suck.

Do not like how online and offline are so divided in the game. Basically when you start the game first you load the main screen where you either go to either online or offline mode. A bit like nkpro was... To go from offline to online mode you need to close the game and open the other mode from the loading screen. Why y u rfactor not can open the server searching menu (online mode) from the offline mode?!

Did not expect much from the standard content anyways. It is a bit better than I expected but once the real good mods start appearing this will be worth the price imho.

So my first impression is a bit disappointed. It's not bad but it needs to be "nielsed" with good mods.
Dam as soon as I am about to go to the track the game crashes shiieeet.
Quote from Chrisuu01 :Dam as soon as I am about to go to the track the game crashes shiieeet.

This happened to me. What fixed it was setting all the graphics settings to LOW or OFF. Then, I loaded a track. It worked, and I slowly bumped the settings up to a good level. I didn't pinpoint any specific cause of the crashing, but it fixed when I lowered my settings.
Yeah I put all my graphics on Full, crashed. Put them on High, works perfect. I guess if you try to overload it, it just crashes.
Just got the lifetime one... will see if the buyers remorse kicks in.

I hope my 2.0 i7 will run it smoothly.
I'm 50/50 on the physics, which is actually pretty good. It has a nice feel to it but it's not as predictable as it should be yet. I'd be inclined to say that it feels better than iRacing though which is sort of funny (though I haven't driven the iR NTM on anything other than the FGT). I really really like the feature-set of the tire model and track physics though, and it's actually really encouraging that the beta is this good. They also have a number of tire model notes in the readme file that shows it's still heavily a WIP, along with a decent list of other things. All indications point to having a pretty nice sim this summer once things are more finalized, and the modders have gone to town - no buyers remorse here!
OK...

Well, last night I had some issues with dreadful framerates. First I had to disable SLI, and it went up some. 3D also would not engage with SLI turned on, so I was running one card in 3D with still rather piss poor performance (on medium settings). But 3D looks good at least. Then today I had the brainwave to try disabling the 3D Vision altogether along with SLI and PRESTO... Every single setting maxed out and liquid smooth. This lends itself to a much more fair evaluation:

I think it is a great product, and I am glad I bought it and look foward to seeing it grow. The Megane (sp?) is really nice to drive. At first I thought (like Hyper said) that there was the typical ISI uncatchable slide thing but the more I drive it the more I see it's really light years ahead of the original. I can drift the Megane rather easily which is a good sign, but it sure isn't the fastest way to go that's for sure. The FFB is very good also (on the road at least).

I couldn't wipe the grin off my face though once I got into that crazyass deathtrap, the F1B from 1968 - who would've thought an old V8 with a seat in front could be so fun? You can throw the thing around like a dodgeball if you really want to, powersliding all over hell and it's really fun until the tires give up on you But keeping it under control at any sort of speed is actually rather terrifying. Shit, going fast in a straight line is dodgy in that thing and it's damn fun!

Lateral slip angle tolerance (anecdote - I did not scientifically test this) is somewhere between LFS and iRacing, which is probably why I was a bit hesitant at first. I am used to LFS' massive tolerance this way and although I think it's closer to real than iRacing, I still think the yaw angles that are quick in LFS are pretty high sometimes, but I digress. I've been playing quite a bit of offline LFS before RF2 came out so I think that I needed more than an hour at low FPS to really make a comparison.

I'm actually pretty impressed with RF2, much more than I expected to be.

I haven't tried the modern formula car out yet since I don't really care for the type of vehicle in sims.
ISI screwed up! LFS, please save 2012!
After trying the rFactor 2 beta I really hope Scavier will bring the updates in 2012 because after a couple of hour of testing I found myself back in LFS thinking: hmm this feels alot more like driving...

Graphics in LFS are imo better and a LOT faster as well.

I guess we´ll see after the beta period but for now I cant help feeling underwhelmed with ISI´s next generation title.
I staggered when I see the life time pass' price....um...need more consideration.
I have sick pc, does it run well on it... No.
Quote from Dennis93 :I have sick pc, does it run well on it... No.

Do you run well when you are sick?
No. :doctor:
Quote from Nick7 :Do you run well when you are sick?
No. :doctor:

How well do you write with broken fingers?
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :I couldn't wipe the grin off my face though once I got into that crazyass deathtrap, the F1B from 1968 - who would've thought an old V8 with a seat in front could be so fun? You can throw the thing around like a dodgeball if you really want to, powersliding all over hell and it's really fun until the tires give up on you But keeping it under control at any sort of speed is actually rather terrifying. Shit, going fast in a straight line is dodgy in that thing and it's damn fun!

Alright, fine, if you're going to twist my arm I'll give it a try.

I really hope it's as good as you say it is, because LFS has no 60s GP cars and pCARS's physics just aren't there yet. I wanna drive me a deathtrap and feel the terror that I should!
'Starting secure connection with commerce server'
Quote from MAGGOT :Alright, fine, if you're going to twist my arm I'll give it a try.

I really hope it's as good as you say it is, because LFS has no 60s GP cars and pCARS's physics just aren't there yet. I wanna drive me a deathtrap and feel the terror that I should!

The sense of speed in the F1 60s car at spa put a smile on my face.
Quote from Jshort :The sense of speed in the F1 60s car at spa put a smile on my face.

Then again going 197mph inbetween some houses and barbed wire in a bathtub is always gonna seem pretty fast
Quote from JackDaMaster :Then again going 197mph inbetween some houses and barbed wire in a bathtub is always gonna seem pretty fast

And then clipping one of those objects and ending up in trees, or a field of cows and horses. So nice to hear "Mooooooooooooo".
LeuL

The Rfactor thread. (rF & rF2)
(431 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG