The online racing simulator
Quote from thisnameistaken :I don't think Jibber is the sort of mug who swallows what hi-fi shops try to sell their customers, he just loves classic hardware and enjoys using it. Nothing wrong with that, and he has some really gorgeous gear judging by the stuff he posts here.

i think you spoke too soon

Quote from jibber :I think some of the stuff that they sell to audiophiles might actually improve sound quality, the question is by how much, and if that's worth a few thousand bucks.

There's stuff i clearly avoid when it comes to these kind of products, like stupid expensive cables that sound the same as a 5-10 euro cinch stereo cable. Power bars that provide "perfect" power, when there is no audible difference at all compared to when my equipment is connected to the outlet in the wall of my room (i actually tested a few of those products out of curiosity and took them back to the store the next day).

why would he even test these he should know that its a complete waste of time
not that testing audio equipment by listening to it outside of a very well controlled environment is the least bit meaningful but thats an entirely different can of worms

Quote :However, at home people usually play a CD in a CD player (when it comes to a standard hi-fi system)... and in this regard, i still believe a clean high quality vinyl with a halfway decent turntable will sound a lot better (again trusting my own ears here).

it sounds better to your ears is a completely different measurement than saying the sound is measurably better
and if you did the same kind of horrid distortions the whole vinyl process does to the sound to the data comming from the cd i can guarantee you you wouldnt be able to tell the difference in a double blind test

Quote :he thinks what he learned at some university is the ultimate truth and that anybody else with a different opinion is either an idiot or an american.

so basically what youre saying here is decades worth of scientific study are less accurate than you ears?

Quote from ATHome :Oh nein, ze overcorrect arrogant German haz struck again!

Keeping up ze reputition of Germans beeing ****s once again.

sod off if all you have to contribute is calling others ****s
avoid the question much? stop being an **** and answer the questions. Who's your daddy, and what does he do?
For Bob's sake... make a thread in the technical section or the "way more offtopic forum" and call it "shot vs. the others" or soften your skin with a hammer.

This is the post your last purchase thread and not the "you are so stupid and prooved it by buying this junk".

On topic:
Quote from Shotglass :why would he even test these he should know that its a complete waste of time
not that testing audio equipment by listening to it outside of a very well controlled environment is the least bit meaningful but thats an entirely different can of worms

Unless you're looking at it completely scientifically (and given that audio quality is mostly a human experience) I think listening in an environment you're familiar with isn't meaningless. On the contrary, what's the point in having reproduction equipment that sounds good in an anechoic chamber or whatever? Now that would be a pointless experiment.

I know people who try this sort of thing out with various categories of gear (I know one guy who has tested just about every studio compressor ever built) and typically they do it in their own studio, where it's convenient. Are you saying that this kind of testing is useless?
this forum needs a like button.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Are you saying that this kind of testing is useless?

yes because outside of a controlled environment all youre going to "measure" by listening to gear is your own observation bias

theres a very good reason why listening tests for lossy audio codecs are done blind
Okay so you guys make good points. Though, you seem to misunderstand each other, whether it's intentional or not. You've been having a nice argument here and surprise: All of you won!

So can you please shut the hell up now?
Quote from dadge :this forum needs a like button.

we did,and got taken away very quickly
Quote from Shotglass :yes because outside of a controlled environment all youre going to "measure" by listening to gear is your own observation bias

theres a very good reason why listening tests for lossy audio codecs are done blind

again, we have no answers to the questions put to you. do you even know how to hold a conversation? seriously, you're acting like a proper ****.
Let's put an end to this fight...

You guessed it, your argument is invalid.
Quote from Shotglass :
sod off if all you have to contribute is calling others ****s

Why should I? And who are you to tell my what I should do?
Quote from Shotglass :yes because outside of a controlled environment all youre going to "measure" by listening to gear is your own observation bias

Sure true objectivity is harder when you know what you're comparing, but then you could argue that there's no point comparing anything without laboratory conditions. Why try a new kind of coffee from the supermarket unless you can set up a double-blind test, etc.

I think you've gone a bit walnuts and sledgehammers with this, to be honest.
*AHEM*

so i bought a car wash for my car last.

not to get it clean, but to get the dirt/grime off the body so i can do a proper wash (and to get the undercarraige clean a little)
Quote from thisnameistaken :Sure true objectivity is harder when you know what you're comparing, but then you could argue that there's no point comparing anything without laboratory conditions. Why try a new kind of coffee from the supermarket unless you can set up a double-blind test, etc.

I think you've gone a bit walnuts and sledgehammers with this, to be honest.

maybe but to run with your example there isnt a whole industry built around marketing expensive beans to stupid people
i guess theres these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak and no matter how good it might taste youre still drinking something that came out of an animals arse but the vast majority of coffee (and indeed most other products) wont break your bank and to stick to coffee when you consider it had to be shipped halfway round the globe youll find it has a ridiculously low profit margin compared to audiophile equipment

whereas on the other hand you have audio equipment containing electronics you could pick up for a couple of bucks and solder them together yourself sold for hundreds if not thousands
and even if there were or is a measurable difference in the products it usually bears zero correlation to the pricing
also im fairly certain if you actually took the time to do the measurements youd probably be able to find that for every single component in your audio setup with the possible exception of the speaker enclosures theres a replacement model from china that either contains exactly the same pcbs as the one you bought or causes an either impossble to measure or at least inaudible degradation for a tenths or hundredths of the price

and thats before we even get to the truely ridiculous products that cannot make any difference like these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ&T=13m10s

someone also meantioned earlier in this thread that there are apparently people who believe that scratching cds in a certain pattern will make them sound better or that cd demagnetizer which assuming its not a joke product im sure someone out there has spent money on
first of all its clear that you could sell anything to these people no matter how ridiculous and secondly to tie this back into the claim that cds sound worse clearly this highlights that people havent got the faintest idea how any of their audio equipment actually works

to conclude and summarize when buying coffee your observation bias wont cost you hundreds or thousands of euros in stupidity tax
Quote from jibber :Finally a useful reply from you. Seems like a very good presentation, i'll watch it in detail and more carefully when i have time to do so.

oh i fully agree your insults and posting incorrect graphs that you have no understanding of was really useful and conducive to the discussion

also ive never watched any of it other than the presentation of ridiculous products so i have no idea whether its any good
Quote from Shotglass :oh i fully agree your insults and posting incorrect graphs that you have no understanding of was really useful and conducive to the discussion

also ive never watched any of it other than the presentation of ridiculous products so i have no idea whether its any good

Ohh for christs sake, get that sand out of your vagina already. Insults... pfff! You're the one who called me an idiot if i may remind you.

And we're at the same point again... i would have liked to further discuss the topic, since it's actually an interesting one. But i see you're still in the same old mood of yours, so i'm not even going to bother.

Have a good day sir.
back on topic (can someone please clean this topic up)

- 20€ worth of groceries
my poor student wallet is bleeding
Dog bed, dog toys, dog bowls, dog food, dog collar and tag, dog leads.

Still no ****ing dog. :/
Quote from jibber :You're the one who called me an idiot if i may remind you.

if i may remind you you started with the insults
Quote from Shotglass :if i may remind you you started with the insults

Cry me a river, back on topic lads!!

4pack...of premium, mmmm.
24 pack on 0.33l a le coq, meant to import to finland, few hours ago, now it's gone, by me.
Too bad it doesen't contain any alcohol(says 5.2%).
Quote from bmwe30m3 :24 pack on 0.33l a le coq, meant to import to finland, few hours ago, now it's gone, by me.
Too bad it doesen't contain any alcohol(says 5.2%).

Thank god that im one of the few estonians who has some blood left in my alcohol...
Shoei RF1000 helmet. My head stopped growing so I thought I would spend some money on a good helmet. Not sure what to think about the design but it was on sale.

Post your Last Purchase!
(7003 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG