The online racing simulator
Mouse cursor keeps freezing
(13 posts, started )
Anyone have any idea how to start looking for the cause of this?

Every few minutes my mouse cursor will become completely unresponsive for a few seconds, then go back to normal. Everything else is still responding and updating, it's just the cursor. There's no 'bee-dum' noise as if a USB device had been unplugged, so I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the physical connection (it's a USB 1 wired mouse)

I've not done any windows updates, or installed anything new.
#2 - Puhba
Buy a new mouse, if this still dosent work uninstall LFS and reinstall, if that dosent work contanct the mouse and computer makers.
Creepy because mine just started doing that yesterday.
Yeh, that's a problem caused by red coupe cars in avatars.
same here, started on sunday
looks like mine was pure coincidence, finally managed to get hold of a spare mouse and all is fine now
#7 - amp88
This is a semi-logical stab in the dark but have you looked into it being a possible IRQ (Interrupt ReQuest) conflict? It could be that your mouse is conflicting with another piece of hardware and causing problems. If it's only just started happening and you haven't made any changes recently this is probably a long shot, but it's worth eliminating anyway. The procedure for identifying IRQ conflict depends on your Windows version, so try Googling for your OS version along with "diagnose IRQ problem" (or something similar).
Modern day computers don't really suffer from IRQ Conflicts. At least that's what I have picked up on. That's more computer sciences stuff which isn't something which I know a lot about but doubt it would be that as apparently pretty much all devices need to be able to operate on the same IRQ without causing conflicts...

You can check by right clicking your device in Device Manager and if there is a "resource" tab, it will tell you if there is a conflict. The inbuilt conflict checker is not 100% accurate but gets you going. Personally I'd try it on another USB port, or if it's plugged into the rear USB panels (which share the same circuitry) I would try the front which generally go into a seperate USB bus. It's more likely to be either the operating system or interference with something else which uses the same USB bus that your mouse is plugged into.

I had this on Windows XP, I think it's the general operating system clogging up. If I restarted my PC it would stop temporarily, come back after about an hour and it wasn't linked to CPU load. A reformat fixed the problem (I didn't reformat just for that, it was because I wanted to start fresh) and since going to Win 7 Ultimate it's been fine on the same hardware.
Seems to have stopped doing it now.

Which is wierd, as I've not rebooted since yesterday (I tent to put my PC in sleep mode as I remote-desktop into it from work at lunchtimes).
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Modern day computers don't really suffer from IRQ Conflicts. At least that's what I have picked up on. That's more computer sciences stuff which isn't something which I know a lot about but doubt it would be that as apparently pretty much all devices need to be able to operate on the same IRQ without causing conflicts...

There are well over half a million Google results containing "windows 7" and "irq conflict". They may not be as common as they once were, but they can still potentially cause problems and are worth eliminating as the source.
There are 8.3 million results for "amp 88 pedo" but that doesn't make you one.
Agreed though with what you're saying. It isn't supposed to happen but due to the unique way that the BBC is funded, it does.

Quote from Crashgate3 :Seems to have stopped doing it now.

Which is wierd, as I've not rebooted since yesterday (I tent to put my PC in sleep mode as I remote-desktop into it from work at lunchtimes).

Wait, was this mouse judder over RDP? I used to put my Windows XP machine into sleep mode which after doing it for months and months probably didn't do the file structure any good...
Quote from Crashgate3 :Anyone have any idea how to start looking for the cause of this?

Every few minutes my mouse cursor will become completely unresponsive for a few seconds, then go back to normal. Everything else is still responding and updating, it's just the cursor. There's no 'bee-dum' noise as if a USB device had been unplugged, so I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the physical connection (it's a USB 1 wired mouse)

I've not done any windows updates, or installed anything new.

Maybe it is ALS disease...
Quote from S14 DRIFT :There are 8.3 million results for "amp 88 pedo" but that doesn't make you one.
Agreed though with what you're saying. It isn't supposed to happen but due to the unique way that the BBC is funded, it does.

Wait, was this mouse judder over RDP? I used to put my Windows XP machine into sleep mode which after doing it for months and months probably didn't do the file structure any good...

Nah, the judder was sat in front of it. I didn't notice any judder when I RD'd.

I reboot it every few days so the file system shouldn't get too retarded.

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG