The online racing simulator
Thankyou and god bless you for 2012.
Thanks for the sim that is and the sim that may be. Looking forward to it!
Eric and Victor are either just figments of Scawen's imagination or the result of personality disorder.
#429 - col
Quote from rageshgr :That is a whole new discussion. Actually yours is a question which has been in mind too. My question is, how come the tyre physics limitations did not surface during the development of the 5-6 real cars, but it surfaced during the development of Sirocco. Probably it was in a slow road car like Sirocco, with ESP perhaps that the limitations of the current tire physics was more pronounced and exposed. Probably they started using some new testing techniques which were never used before, which exposed the limitations of the current tyre physics. The development of Sirocco, is waiting for new tyre physics and that is the main reason why it is getting late.

The main problem I think is that in the interest of realism (and maybe to allow for realistic ESP?), Scawen wanted to limit the setup options of the Sirocco to realistic parameters. With a setup like the real car, the sim didn't behave correctly.
All the existing cars in LFS have many setup variables and wide setting ranges in each, so it was possible to make the cars more realistic/manageable by using less realistic setup options. The intent in the future is to restrict setup options to more realistic values.

Col
Hmm, yes, could be. Interesting! but then again this limitation to realistic parameters would have been done during the development of the other real cars in the past, ya ESP could have been the one which exposed the physics limitation, or some peculiar characteristic of Sirocco.
If "realistic result" comes from "arbitrarily adjusted parameters", we don's call that realistic.

Computer simulation relies completely on reductionism.

Quote from mango juice :eric and victor are either just figments of scawen's imagination or the result of personality disorder.

:ghostie: ← Eric      Victor → :ghostie:
keep it up
Quote from Keling :If "realistic result" comes from "arbitrarily adjusted parameters", we don's call that realistic.

Computer simulation relies completely on reductionism.

:ghostie: ← Eric      Victor → :ghostie:

Sadly there's no such thing as a what you call a realistic tyre model then. Any such model will be empirical, but if Scawen manages to create a model that isn't empirical I know a few companies that would make him very rich

It seems about as likely as Scawen discovering a governing equation for the modelling of turbulence. Nobel price here we come.
Quote from RasmusL :Any such model will be empirical, but if Scawen manages to create a model that isn't empirical I know a few companies that would make him very rich

nah, such models exist, just no realtime-homecomputer friendly ones
Quote from ACCAkut :nah, such models exist, just no realtime-homecomputer friendly ones

Yes that is the challenge. I am sure there are "realistic" tyre models which can run on supercomputers.
#436 - -M-
Quote from The Very End :His fulltime job now is to produce babies.

Maybe in a few years we have a mini-Scawen army working on S3
I think..., Scawen work on the simulator for the auto industry. Because so much work on this.
CARS has good progress reports...
And bad physics...

Just choose... Lots of cars and tracks in a bad sim or a good sim with enough cars and tracks...
Quote from Mango Juice :That is a perfect example... but Scawen is just not as good as him.

Scawen is like a god compared to those guys, you mean he chooses to not do progress reports like that.
Quote from Si Mclaren :CARS has good progress reports...
And bad physics...

Just choose... Lots of cars and tracks in a bad sim or a good sim with enough cars and tracks...

Scawen giving more frequent and more detailed progress reports doesn't automatically render LFS physics "bad".
Quote from kruuvi :Scawen giving more frequent and more detailed progress reports doesn't automatically render LFS physics "bad".

Most of the terms we will not understand from the report Scawen of physics and of the tires.
New Progress reports or not, new updates or not, new contents or not, but I think this thread will keep everything alive until anything new happens. LOL!
Quote from SennaSS :
I have a friend who got lfs he is a real formula 2 champion himself try out Lfs and he couldnt believe how poor its tyre heat physics were.

Ha, have you tried iRacing? Lfs has the best tyre physics i have driven. No other sim has gotten close yet.

If its such an issue, go & race c.a.r.s or Gt5.

As for the announcement. Meaningless pap designed to keep us all happy/quiet. No hard facts or an eta. I though iRacing were full of shit but the lfs devs are fast lowering themselves.
On the plus side, at least we arent paying silly money to be fed poo & the devs spoke to us twice in a year!. Not all bad.
Ha... he's right.
Tyre heat/cooling model and grip related to heat is crap.

However, overall feel of handling is something else.
you guys say knobody has got the tyre physics right yet for a sim!! I rekon you should take a trip to the F1 red bull factory or Mclarens simulator rooms!!! or even i zone based at silverstone

it doesnt get any better than that afew million££ has been spent on precisly replicating what goes on out on track & guess what they dont get the number cruncher developer to try out the updates they get lewis or vettel Shocking that isnt it maybe bec its them who will notice the changes.

point is the tyre temp is the problem the grip ratio feels about right on lfs I just think they should redo the calculations on the way it heats up the tyre the way it does bec it is just plain awful and incorect
Thank you for the detailed post Scawen

Happy new year!
Quote from SennaSS :you guys say knobody has got the tyre physics right yet for a sim!! I rekon you should take a trip to the F1 red bull factory or Mclarens simulator rooms!!! or even i zone based at silverstone

it doesnt get any better than that afew million££ has been spent on precisly replicating what goes on out on track & guess what they dont get the number cruncher developer to try out the updates they get lewis or vettel Shocking that isnt it maybe bec its them who will notice the changes.

point is the tyre temp is the problem the grip ratio feels about right on lfs I just think they should redo the calculations on the way it heats up the tyre the way it does bec it is just plain awful and incorect

Whats awful is your complaining of things that have been reported years ago by racing drivers and knowledgeable people, hence why scawen (a single developer) is studying to remodel it to run on a desktop pc (without stealing the money from customers ).
-
(der butz) DELETED by der butz : much too late
This thread is closed

Progress Report December 2011
(550 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG