LFS Wheel Controllers
(57 posts, started )
Quote from Matrixi :
Thrustmasters GT5 wheel has useless pedals (my teammate ended up using G25 pedals with it) even though it costs 600 euros and comes with no shifter of any kind. Thrustmaster had a chance to compete with Logitech in the high-end consumer steering wheel market, and they blew it hard.

That reminds me, my G27 pedals are doing weird things. The clutch noise is now making it past whatever signal processing Logitech uses to make the pedals last.
My throttle has noticeably less resolution than it used to, and sometimes doesn't go wide open.

If the average sim-racer can afford a G27, they should be able to save for something nicer. I'm curious what time will tell about the Thrustmaster. I had even been thinking about a Frex, but I see that they are now $2500. OT: Isn't that a bit steep for something that doesn't even come with its own electronics, cooling, mounting, pedals, shifter, buttons, or steering wheel?
Quote from Dennis93 :How about fanatec?

It sucks. the wheels have no proper feel, imo.

Care to elaborate? Seems like a useless post made by a person with no grasp at knowing what a good wheel is.
Quote from Senninha25 :Is anyone using that Thrustmaster wheel with 1080º rotation?
Could be the best wheel besides the G27...suffice to say I've had my G25 for 3 years, bought it second hand and it never gave me any problems (not yet anyway).

I have raced and drifted it for like a full day at a friends house. The 1080 degrees are no bonus for me since I use 720. It's slightly better then the G27 IMO, but not close to the best. There are plently affordable wheels that are better like around 4 Fanatec wheels.
Quote from Senninha25 :Is anyone using that Thrustmaster wheel with 1080º rotation?
Could be the best wheel besides the G27...suffice to say I've had my G25 for 3 years, bought it second hand and it never gave me any problems (not yet anyway).

If you're taking about T500RS I guess you can remove "besides the G27". It's a good wheel.

There are some better hardware sets available targeting sim-racing-at-home costumers. Higher performance and finer quality, but more expensive, of course.

If you're serious about this and have the time, DIY seems to be a better solution.
Quote from DarkKostas :They do, i even drifted with my GH Guitar!

Damn, now I want GH guitar

Quote from Dennis93 :Then again, Logitechs G27's are so cheap nowaydays it's unbelievable.
I bought mine for roughly 230€....

Mine was 200$ before tax

I think because of a pressure from the t500rs wheel you can't sell g27 for 300+$ anymore. Before, g25 was the best wheelnext wheel was a lot more hundreds more expensive, so g25/g27 was in a sweet spot for the masses. But know, for a couple of hundreds to g27 price you are getting more advanced (in marketing sense ) wheel.
Quote from antpol :Damn, now I want GH guitar

Mine was 200$ before tax

I think because of a pressure from the t500rs wheel you can't sell g27 for 300+$ anymore. Before, g25 was the best wheelnext wheel was a lot more hundreds more expensive, so g25/g27 was in a sweet spot for the masses. But know, for a couple of hundreds to g27 price you are getting more advanced (in marketing sense ) wheel.

Um, on Logitech webstore it's $400.

:3
I'm happy with my fanatec wheel, 900 degs of turning, can be set up on the wheel itself (no need to scroll to panel all time!) has gearbox and pedals and it actually is pretty good to drift I used to drift at 130C tyres all the time with it. Pretty epic! Also is cheap. Was around 180 euros with post tax for me.
Better buying S2 first as no point spashing out cash for hardware only to use on a demo...
Quote from Bose321 :Care to elaborate? Seems like a useless post made by a person with no grasp at knowing what a good wheel is.

Yes i do.

Here we go : For one, i race in real life and therefore enjoy having a wheel with some kind of charm that tells me it's for racing, and not for cruising around.
2nd, Again i race in real life, and for that you need the optimum feel and not that slow respond time as I FELT (please note i said I felt, Not you, not that guy in the corner and certainly not your mum) the wheel had, compared to my home rig.

So therefore my so to speak useless post was useless, because i did not care to elaborate more than i thought i had to.
Sure Logitech is not the best wheel out there, and sure i would love to have a pair of Fanatec pedals, But i think i'd love to have a pedals with potentiometers instead of what is used here, so i could actually apply the 80+kg og brake pressure you need in a real racing car in order to stop, instead of making holes in your pedals.

I hope i 'elaborated' enough for you.

Yours Truly
Dennis Lind.
Quote from Dennis93 :Yes i do.

Here we go : For one, i race in real life and therefore enjoy having a wheel with some kind of charm that tells me it's for racing, and not for cruising around.
2nd, Again i race in real life, and for that you need the optimum feel and not that slow respond time as I FELT (please note i said I felt, Not you, not that guy in the corner and certainly not your mum) the wheel had, compared to my home rig.

So therefore my so to speak useless post was useless, because i did not care to elaborate more than i thought i had to.
Sure Logitech is not the best wheel out there, and sure i would love to have a pair of Fanatec pedals, But i think i'd love to have a pedals with potentiometers instead of what is used here, so i could actually apply the 80+kg og brake pressure you need in a real racing car in order to stop, instead of making holes in your pedals.

I hope i 'elaborated' enough for you.

Yours Truly
Dennis Lind.

You're telling me a G25/G27 feels better and responds faster then any Fanatec wheel? Also, alcantara leather and the shape of the wheel (Atleast the GT3RS) looks and feels good for racing IMO.

Load-cells, as what you're referring to I guess are not relevant to making holes in the pedals, the design of the mechanism is. But still, Fanatec also has cheaper pedals with potentiometers if you like them for some reason.

May I ask which wheel you tried?
Quote from Bose321 :You're telling me a G25/G27 feels better and responds faster then any Fanatec wheel? Also, alcantara leather and the shape of the wheel (Atleast the GT3RS) looks and feels good for racing IMO.

Load-cells, as what you're referring to I guess are not relevant to making holes in the pedals, the design of the mechanism is. But still, Fanatec also has cheaper pedals with potentiometers if you like them for some reason.

May I ask which wheel you tried?

Good evening sir.

I don't know the specific name of the wheel, but it was a 2-pedal, and the wheel had an orange cap and these awful massive silver buttons, to be completely fair, i didn't have the feel as i stated before, might have been the settings being messed up, but my spidey sense say that it was the standard setup.

either way, the pedals was quite soft, and not at all race like.. Nothing i would compare to anything 'value for the money' only reason why the fanatec wheels are so expensive is because of the 'exclusive' stallion as badge.

For one, i would never recommend a fanatec wheel with the prices they have.
but again that's just a personal opinion.

But since you are a fanboy and all, the clubsport pedals are quite nice to look at, havn't tried them myself, but even before consider buying them i would probably assemble some pedals myself with potentiometers and springs.

Have a good night.
Quote from Dennis93 :Good evening sir.

I don't know the specific name of the wheel, but it was a 2-pedal, and the wheel had an orange cap and these awful massive silver buttons, to be completely fair, i didn't have the feel as i stated before, might have been the settings being messed up, but my spidey sense say that it was the standard setup.

either way, the pedals was quite soft, and not at all race like.. Nothing i would compare to anything 'value for the money' only reason why the fanatec wheels are so expensive is because of the 'exclusive' stallion as badge.

For one, i would never recommend a fanatec wheel with the prices they have.
but again that's just a personal opinion.

But since you are a fanboy and all, the clubsport pedals are quite nice to look at, havn't tried them myself, but even before consider buying them i would probably assemble some pedals myself with potentiometers and springs.

Have a good night.

I'm afraid you might have tried a wheel with wrong settings. Pretty much anything can be adjusted (and ****ed up if you don't know what you're doing).

Same goes for the pedals, you can tighten the springs, replace them, move them, do whatever you want with them to make them exactly how you like.

I wouldn't call the Fanatec wheels expensive if you consider the quality, looks and that they're cheaper then a G27.

Calling me a fanboy looks to because you being unable to support your silly statements about things you don't even know their names of.
Quote from Bose321 :I'm afraid you might have tried a wheel with wrong settings. Pretty much anything can be adjusted (and ****ed up if you don't know what you're doing).

Same goes for the pedals, you can tighten the springs, replace them, move them, do whatever you want with them to make them exactly how you like.

I wouldn't call the Fanatec wheels expensive if you consider the quality, looks and that they're cheaper then a G27.

Calling me a fanboy looks to because you being unable to support your silly statements about things you don't even know their names of.

Oh well, at least i kept it civil.
Logitech MOMO - lasted 2 years. good wheel but eventually it started unsynching itself.

G27 - had it for around a year and a half now. Great wheel, have had no problems yet. Paid around 200 usd for it on sale. Though I dont drive with alot of FFB because I almost broke a finger on the medal bit when driving at 200% ffb. Doh.

Bose, send me a free fanatec and then I will agree they are best wheels in the world :P.
Hey there... it's been ages since I've played LFS. Bought license and never even turned it on

Ehm, what are the typical steering wheels that people go for?

Could anyone list a few examples in different budgets? And maybe a few pros and cons.
Quote from Electric Eye :Hey there... it's been ages since I've played LFS. Bought license and never even turned it on

Ehm, what are the typical steering wheels that people go for?

Could anyone list a few examples in different budgets? And maybe a few pros and cons.

The typical steering wheel people get is a Logitech G27.

http://www.logitech.com/gaming/wheels/devices/5184

According to them it's 300 euro.

For that ammount of cash there are plenty of alternatives:

http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/ ... d413077ab561446a936649829

It's worth it IMO to go with the less 'known' brand. Check some of their reviews, 9/10 reviews give the Fanatec wheels a higher grade than the Logitech wheels.

Other then Logitech and Fanatec there's also Thrustmaster:

http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=224

It's around 400 euro, so a lot more expensive and IMO not worth it.

In the end of the day it comes down to your own preference. I think you should just check out some reviews and ask yourself what you want: quality no matter what price, quality with a budget, or something cheap(ish).
-
(Electric Eye) DELETED by Electric Eye
Mhh... seems as though most of them are quite expensive. I'm busy a lot so I don't think there would be much point in investing a lot of money into something which I'm not entirely guaranteed I'd use a lot/too often.

More for fun kind of thing.

http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/ ... d413077ab561446a936649829 This seems to be a cheaper one. What other cheaper options are there?
That should be a fine choice.

There's the DFGT which is around 100 euro here, and there's the Thrustmaster F430 wheel for around 85 euro.

Quality-wise they don't quite match up to the Fanatec IMO, especially the F430 wheel.

Also the Fanatec is the only wheel in these 3 that has a Clutch pedal (which is quite important IMO).
Quote from Bose321 :That should be a fine choice.

There's the DFGT which is around 100 euro here, and there's the Thrustmaster F430 wheel for around 85 euro.

Quality-wise they don't quite match up to the Fanatec IMO, especially the F430 wheel.

Also the Fanatec is the only wheel in these 3 that has a Clutch pedal (which is quite important IMO).

That Fanatec carrera wheel seems nice... I didn't even notice at first that it had a clutch and 6+1.

In terms of quality and such is it a good buy or not? Appears as it'd cost about 83 sterling pounds which isn't that much. Could be a wee treat for xmass/bday
It's pretty good for the price, might even match the G27.
There is one more thing though.
And that's wheel driver support.
If driving only LFS - basically any wheel will work.
But, if you try some other games, you might run into driver/support issues.
In that department Logitech wheels are in best position though...

PS: I have Thrustmaster F430 wheel
Quote from Nick7 :There is one more thing though.
And that's wheel driver support.
If driving only LFS - basically any wheel will work.
But, if you try some other games, you might run into driver/support issues.
In that department Logitech wheels are in best position though...

PS: I have Thrustmaster F430 wheel

I don't agree on that. I've been using pretty much all recent driving games on the PC and havn't come across a single problem (even less problems).

Can you give me some examples of these issues you're talking about?
#48 - Jakg
Quote from Bose321 :Care to elaborate? Seems like a useless post made by a person with no grasp at knowing what a good wheel is.

The Fanatec 911 didn't actually feel like a real wheel at all (i.e. it was just as chunky as a proper wheel... but around half the size).
Quote from Nick7 :NFS Shift 2 - centering force is not working as well overall feel is quite broken ( http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247092 )
TDU2 - centering force not working

Interesting enough.. with version '1' of fore mentioned games, it works fine....

Sorry, didn't know you were talking about your wheel.
Quote from Jakg :The Fanatec 911 didn't actually feel like a real wheel at all (i.e. it was just as chunky as a proper wheel... but around half the size).

Not sure what you mean with that as it's bigger then most other wheels and a copy from a real wheel.
Quote from Bose321 :Sorry, didn't know you were talking about your wheel.

Not sure what you mean with that as it's bigger then most other wheels and a copy from a real wheel.

Sorry, are you this forums representive of fanatec or just huge fanboy? Let people have their own opinion, they don't need you to be up and around. Everytime someone states an opinion we don't give two ****s if the wheel looks real, what WE want is the feel of having a real wheel in our hands, that is was Jack ment.

LFS Wheel Controllers
(57 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG