The online racing simulator
Anyone keep fish?
(12 posts, started )
Anyone keep fish?
I'm thinking of getting some tropical fish after Xmas, hopefully I can get a 110l or 160l tank on sale. I'm doing some intense research at the moment, how to cycle properly before adding the fish, what fish I can keep together etc. I'm amazed at how much more in depth it all is than I thought; before I started researching I just thought you got some water, made it warm enough, ran some bubbles through it and threw some fish in. I'm also surprised at how likely everything is to just eat everything else.

I'll probably start the standard route with some guppies, but I've fallen in love with Kuhli Loaches, I want, want, want (once the tank gets established). I also want some shrimp, so it's a bit tricky finding fish that won't just see them as a buffet.

Does anyone else on here keep fish?
Get a small octopus, they're pretty awesome, 9 brains and they're smart little mofo's.
I've got one goldfish. He's ****ing massive. A housemate got a job in Spain and asked me if I'd look after her goldfish so I said yes. That was 12 years ago.
Quote from FPVaaron :Get a small octopus, they're pretty awesome, 9 brains and they're smart little mofo's.

Not exactly easy to keep though
I used to have a 20gal(75l) tank, tropical fish in there, if you have any questions ask me.
Found a brand new 180l (~39 gal?) tank including cabinet for £245 reduced from £345, I hope the offer is still on after Xmas
My wife keeps fish and she used to work on a magazine called Practical Fishkeeping. It has a website at http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk if you're interested.

We have a 6 x 2 x 2' tank with tropical fish and they're really relaxing to watch. Would certainly recommend keeping them.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I've got one goldfish. He's ****ing massive. A housemate got a job in Spain and asked me if I'd look after her goldfish so I said yes. That was 12 years ago.

i started off with 7 in a pond and now there's over 30, the originals are huge now after 4 years but i lost one of them to a heron this year which is a pity as she was one that almost died in the freeze last winter and i'd spend about 2 weeks caring for her in a tank
I've got a tank and had a few others before I moved as well.

Kuhli Loaches are pretty cool, but you won't see them most of the time. Mine tended to burrow in the substrate and stay there unless they needed food. They're fast as hell, too.

If you're going the fresh water route (which it sounds like you are by your fish choices) I'd recommend making a Cichlid tank. They're more colourful and active than most other freshwater fish, but they are very aggressive so they can't be put with many other kinds of fish; Only loaches and Plecos and Catfish species are safe with them IIRC. Some Cichlid species are very cool looking.

If you do things right, there are a couple cichlid species that can co-exist with other kinds of fish, too, like Kribensis. They are territorial, though, and will defend their 'home,' especially if they spawn. Also, don't have any more than one pair of them in the tank or they will kill each other.

I have a few shrimp in my tank... not sure how many anymore because I almost never see them; they spend 100% of the time in the tank in hiding. I think they know they're food. LOL

By far my favorite fish in our tank is Gumpert. He's either a Pleco or a small Catfish species, I'm not sure which because I can't find any other examples like him. He's fast as hell, too, and pretty ugly. Thus the name.
I love the look of Cichlids, but I want to go with lots of little fish to begin with, and as I love crustaceans I have vague intentions of eventually getting a Vampire shrimp which would just become lunch for Cichlids. I may gamble on putting a pair of German Blue Rams in this tank, but from what I've read, it seems to be a 50/50 chance whether it would eat the smaller shrimp.

If I ever get a second tank, I'll probably go for some larger, more boisterous fish like Cichlids.
Quote from MAGGOT :Gumpert [....] He's fast as hell and pretty ugly. Thus the name.

haha

How big is he? I've read that Plecs can get up to 2 feet long eventually.
Well, we've got a small tank right now (30 Gallons I think? Maybe 25? I forget) so he won't hit his full potential. He's only about 6 inches now, I think. Hard to tell when the little bugger keeps moving so fast. His dorsal fin is almost as long as his body, though. Looks pretty cool.

Anyone keep fish?
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG