The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Had a series 3 rx7 for like 2 years..

Only mods were;
Extractors
3" Straight pipe into Magnaflow dumpy tip
Ratsnest&Emissions gear all removed
14x6.5 watanabes (fronts sit flush with guard..rears were in a bit)

Rest of the money was just spent fixing it and slowly restoring it until i had to sell it >.<
Quote from Jakg :Good Halogen bulbs = Good.

Cheap Xenon bulbs (filament ones, not HID's) = terrible.

Xenon gas makes them burn brighter (by a bit), but means they burn out a lot lot quicker - I had a set go in less than 6 months

Yeah the set I had went after about 5 months but they went about a week after I changed over my bulbs (as I swapped headlights) so I presume it was because of me.
So.... I need 4 new tyres for my Ford Focus (mk1.5, 1.6l), got Pirelli P6000s on the front right now that have lasted about 18 months (about 10k miles - alignment is out after dodgy trackrod got replaced and forgot to get it realigned). Rears I've had on the car since I got it 4 years ago (some unbranded crap Ford gave me)

Anybody recommend tyres for me? size 195/60R15 if I remember rightly. Budget of about £250.
Goodyear Excellence I had in 195/65 before I changed to 17 inch wheels. Very good. The p6000s are rubbish. Unfortunately it's hard to find sporty rubber in sizes which such a large profile and the excellence is one of the best you can get. a pair with fitting and tracking cost me £140 so you should be able to get them online for that.

Just tried to find some for you and couldn't - consider some Conti premium contacts - http://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b ... ACT_2_-_195_60R15_88H_TL_
Just seen a "grounding kit" mentioned on the internet, from some Googling it appears to be people upgrading / adding grounds.... http://forums.evolutionm.net/0 ... grounding-kit-review.html

I can understand that if you put more load on the vehicles electrical system, you might want to upgrade the batteries earth (i.e. a large ICE install)... but all the "reviews" I can find are all of virtually standard cars, and all seem to claim that somehow it makes the car more "responsive" or "shift better"...

The crazy thing is, these things sell for ~£60? For a few metres of 8+ AWG wire?

I just don't get it.
Quote from Jakg :all seem to claim that somehow it makes the car more "responsive" or "shift better"...

It's called a placebo.
Jakg, I find you quite amusing

You hate fake "xenon" but you do put on chavtastic DRL's?

Quote from mr_x :So.... I need 4 new tyres for my Ford Focus (mk1.5, 1.6l), got Pirelli P6000s on the front right now that have lasted about 18 months (about 10k miles - alignment is out after dodgy trackrod got replaced and forgot to get it realigned). Rears I've had on the car since I got it 4 years ago (some unbranded crap Ford gave me)

Anybody recommend tyres for me? size 195/60R15 if I remember rightly. Budget of about £250.

Firestone/Hankook/Uniroyal, anything mid-range will be fine for a Focus, but if you can just afford the Conti's then go for them
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Goodyear Excellence I had in 195/65 before I changed to 17 inch wheels. Very good. The p6000s are rubbish. Unfortunately it's hard to find sporty rubber in sizes which such a large profile and the excellence is one of the best you can get. a pair with fitting and tracking cost me £140 so you should be able to get them online for that.

Just tried to find some for you and couldn't - consider some Conti premium contacts - http://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b ... ACT_2_-_195_60R15_88H_TL_

Quote from R34GTR :Firestone/Hankook/Uniroyal, anything mid-range will be fine for a Focus, but if you can just afford the Conti's then go for them

Cheers guys, was looking at Firestones and Hankook's, Conti's are a little out of price range for 4... Considering doing Conti front and something cheapish on the rear again.
Quote from Jakg :I can understand that if you put more load on the vehicles electrical system, you might want to upgrade the batteries earth (i.e. a large ICE install)

Never heard/seen of anyone upgrading just the battery earths for a large sound system, normally its the Big 3, which is in 0 Gauge and not 8 Gauge.

You can get 8 Gauge wire for about £15, so it would probably be worth doing just to see if this multiple ground thing actually works. If it works then happy days, if it doesn't then you only lose out on £15.
ebay special fitted..

Not sure how long it will last..

Replaces this lot

New exhaust only has the rear silencer, otherwise it's free flowing

The joys of having a 3 pit workshop at my disposal!
Attached images
2011-12-08-20.01.25.jpg
your left rear rim is square
Yes, and the split is leaking..
use a 2x4 wood and a huge hammer.works like a charm
Quote from Migz :Never heard/seen of anyone upgrading just the battery earths for a large sound system, normally its the Big 3, which is in 0 Gauge and not 8 Gauge.

"The big three" consists of the alt's ground, and the batteries ground (and also the alt postive)
Quote from Migz :You can get 8 Gauge wire for about £15, so it would probably be worth doing just to see if this multiple ground thing actually works. If it works then happy days, if it doesn't then you only lose out on £15.

I've got loads of 4AWG (and even 2x5M 0AWG runs) spare... but I just can't see a point using it.
Quote from mr_x :Cheers guys, was looking at Firestones and Hankook's, Conti's are a little out of price range for 4... Considering doing Conti front and something cheapish on the rear again.

Firestones = firebomb just check out their history!! Some of the hankook ones are OK, kumho too... Consider the falken ze912s they are quite good as well and cheap!
before;

during:

after
Boostgauge, lol
Nothing wrong with a boost gauge...

Its a pretty good idea if you're upping power/boost, as you can spot possible issues like boost leaks/spikes/creeps
Quote from tristancliffe :Common sense still prevails in the UK. As said, a pre-session briefing is all you need. After that, you just drive around. They do try to split novice, intermediate and self-proclaimed "expert" drivers, and dangerous people are told to come in... but other than that you are on your own.

To be fair I don't think the real issues and dangers on track days have anything to do with novice drivers who need initial tution. On the track days I've been to I don't think a novice session has even been red flagged, new drivers tend to pootle round fairly slowly keeping themselves out of trouble, certainly giving new drivers a few minutes on track before the 'experts' come out to play in an open pitlane session is probably advisable.

Expert sessions are a totally different story, the fastest track day cars are now lapping much faster than most cars seen in UK club motorsport and are often driven by inexperienced drivers who start their track day career with a 400+bhp racing car. When people crash on track days they hit just as hard (or often harder due to inexperience/the fact the cars are so damn fast) as in a normal race in cars that are no where near as safe, with a lot less driver protection (and they often bring a passenger along for the ride) and the emergency response is nothing like that at a race meeting. The worst accident I have ever seen at a race track happend during an expert session of a track day.

Quote from Scrabby :Ok, 140kg is allot, but why?
All the remaining comfort you had as a "daily" is gone now.. In cold weather everything will be damp, everything will be cold. You now will hear every little stone hitting the underside of the car/wheelarches. I like the car on the outside allot, but just can't seem the understand why you want an empty interior as daily..

This. I love how in the UK road rallies stipulate a full interior. It makes the car so much more liveable. There are still circuit racers in the UK who race with full/part interiors in cars they drive to circuits (admittedly they're a dying breed). Why you would want to strip the interior out of a car that'll probably never be used for competition is beyond me.

Whilst 140kg is a lot of weight to loose it'll still be heavier (and physically bigger) than an older car with a full interior, why not just start with a lighter car that is far better suited to track work?

I once raced a Ford Cougar in non-contact oval racing in an unlimited capacity NA FWD class, after stripping 400kg out of it (including all glass, sound deadening, fuel tank, lots of metal out of the rear end) it was probably still the heaviest car on the grid.

Quote from mr_x :

Everyday tyres put Continental or (if you can afford them) Michelins on it. Alternatively Bridgestone/Goodyear/Pirelli/Yokohama will all be perfectly good for general road use. Toyo's everyday road tyres are the best of the budget brands (and are routinely getting fitted as original equipment now).

If you want something sporty then Toyo T1Rs are ridiculously cheap in 195/50/R15s from Camskill, about as good as you'll get without forking out for semi-slicks.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :Firestones = firebomb just check out their history!! Some of the hankook ones are OK, kumho too... Consider the falken ze912s they are quite good as well and cheap!

What a silly statement.

I suppose you also regard the Focuses fuel tank likely to explode in a rear end impact? Do you still avoid air travel after the Comets fell out of the sky?
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG