The online racing simulator
F1 2012 Silly Season
(66 posts, started )
I think this new defending rule will just lead to drivers to dive bomb more often to defend their positions.

As always, F1 rules are getting more and more stupid year after year.
Quote from ATHome :I think this new defending rule will just lead to drivers to dive bomb more often to defend their positions.

As always, F1 rules are getting more and more stupid year after year.

Well, looking at the rule changes, it looks like everytime that anything happens a new rule is made for it. There's basically no room for bending the rules or they are going to make sure that the rules are addapted in order to be certain that that bend cannot be used again.

I suppose that if somebody jumped a curbing and rolled their car that it might be illegal to touch curbing in the future. (Exageration of course, but that's the impression that I get, having little experiance with F1).
Soon overtaking will require lawyers and no skill.
Quote from Mustafur :Soon overtaking will require lawyers and no skill.

ahhh the joys of over-regulation.
Honestly why dont they just save us all the effort and just do qualifying and skip the actual racing?

I swear every policy maker in the world is freaking retarded.
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :Overtaking/Blocking: In a fight for position cars may not return to the racing line when breaking for a corner. Once off the racing line you need to stick to that line. (reaction to Monza Schumacher/Hamilton)

Not too happy about that if i am honest. I thought Schumacher was racing fair in Monza.

They've only put in completely uncertain terms a rule that everyone has been playing to anyway. Hence the reaction at monza, steward investigation, warning to MSC from Brawn.
I'm glad about the safety car rule, tbh they could get pushed back a lap, I wouldn't care, all that matters is that the leaders are together on track.
Quote from Rappa Z :http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2011/12/12878.html

For better or for worse, Austin has gotten their paperwork sorted out and is resuming construction.

Looks like the track is basically flat. Sigh, I suppose that they are building a modern track, and I shouldn't have expected anything differently

Old track makers weren't afraid to take a piece of land that wasn't perfectly suitable for building a track and making a fun and unique track. Modern track builders just don't like making things overly unique.

120,000 seating.. Should fill up the first year, but it'll be interesting to see if it does the next year.. I hope so.
Quote from Cornys :Looks like the track is basically flat. Sigh, I suppose that they are building a modern track, and I shouldn't have expected anything differently

Oh look at all the recent ovals in the US, they all turn left, sigh...

Hardly flat:

Seems like a decent choice. Petrov lost his seat when he shot his mouth off about the team a few weeks ago. Ranting against your own team is never a good move when your seat retention is in question.

Senna? He's reasonably solid, but I don't think he could match the top talents, including Grosjean.

I am surprised that they've discarded both of their drivers though.

And its all about the money again, Total wern't gonna renew their (quite lucrative) contract unless Romain got signed...

I hope Vitaly gets the other Williams seat now or something
Quote from JackDaMaster :

And its all about the money again, Total wern't gonna renew their (quite lucrative) contract unless Romain got signed...

How do you think Petrov and Senna got their sears?
"all about the money", well perhaps, but after all he's the GP2 champ, and isn't the way he went from absolute zero to the top of the feeder series ladder in only 18 months very impressive?

Petrov-Maldonado? Sounds like a perfect way to give lots of extra work time to those poor Williams mechanics.

And as Intrepid said, from midfield to the back it's all(or rather, mostly, since some teams still have enough common sence to pick drivers with both the money AND the talent, fortunately) about the money these days in F1.
Quote from JackDaMaster :

It's hardly ALL about money - Grosjean has the talent to deserve that seat regardless of anything else he brings, unlike Petrov.
I think grosjean could beat Kimi. It's a perfect situation for him. Kimi brings the reputation but probably not the form, so Grosjean's stock will sky rocket if he beats him
Solid move by Lotus. Now only depends on engineers

Petrov had enough opportunities and time to get better results. Ofcourse Vitaly was wrong to blame team becose of it(I still don't think that he lost his seat becose of that), but he was right at some point - Renault didn't worked on their car enough. No wonder why results were going worse and worse by every race.

On the another hand Lotus did it right - Romain know how things works. I'm pretty sure he familiar with current Lotus crew and I think his pace will be better this time. At least winning 2 GP2 championship on the same time is something that everyone can't do
I'm happy petrov is out he's not good enough, I can see Williams taking him though, two high paying drivers would give them a healthy season.
I don't see the logic in dropping drivers who score point and podiums for a driver you had before, who was a bit rubbish (In the comparative scheme of things).
Quote from englishlord :I don't see the logic in dropping drivers who score point and podiums for a driver you had before, who was a bit rubbish (In the comparative scheme of things).

Grosjean's previous F1 experience is fairly irrelevent IMO, considering the very unusual difficulties he had to face.

He was in the middle of a successful GP2 campaign, then gets thrown in an F1 race seat, against a double world champion, with no testing whatsoever. He didn't even know most of the tracks. The car was a dog, remember - Alonso himself couldn't get further than Q1 in Abu Dhabi. On the top of it, his manager and now new boss is caught cheating and gets fired.

I fail to recall of any tougher F1 debults in the recent history.

Edit: Feeder series records clearly speak in favour of Grosjean also. Just to quote some discussions occuring on ten tenths' forums:

Quote :Well Grosjean and Petrov were pretty close when they were team mates in GP2. Grosjean a little quicker, but neither were leading the championship when Grosjean got the call up to Renault in 09, which imo was far too early.

And Petrov had already been owned by Di Grassi the previous year, despite Di Grassi missing 3 rounds. Grosjean meanwhile did pretty well in 2008, scoring 62 points to his 2 teammates 9 points combined.

2007 and Pantano owned Petrov in Gp2. Meanwhile Grosjean won the F3 Euroseries over Buemi and teammate Hulkenberg and Kobayashi that year. If those 3 deserve F1 seats, why not Grosjean?

Anyway, I'm glad he's got a seat, but I think Senna was just as deserving. Hopefully he can find a seat somewhere. Petrov proved he wasn't fast enough though, and it's no surprise.

Quote :The Grosjean v Petrov GP2 stat posted by razzor is a bit misleading, Grosjean was by far the quicker but had had a bit of a rotten run results wise which put his title charge on the back foot and of course didn'r finish the season. There is absolutely no doubting who is the better driver of the two though.

http://www.ten-tenths.com/foru ... =2997841&postcount=18
http://www.ten-tenths.com/foru ... =2997953&postcount=21
Quote from Mustafur :I'm happy petrov is out he's not good enough, I can see Williams taking him though, two high paying drivers would give them a healthy season.

They will have to build one hell of a car to flatter the complete lack of talent behind the wheel. If they keeps Rubens and build a good car then they will do okay, but two shitty pay drivers will get them nowhere.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :They will have to build one hell of a car to flatter the complete lack of talent behind the wheel. If they keeps Rubens and build a good car then they will do okay, but two shitty pay drivers will get them nowhere.

Should be enough to keep them afloat for another year, though, which appears to be their only goal at the moment.
Such a shame.

F1 2012 Silly Season
(66 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG