The online racing simulator
First time I am seeing something like this and I have to say, this is a freakin great idea.
hmmm can't figure it out, tire spins the small wheel and spin the blue chains? and what does the cylinder do?
What is it?

I'm guessing the cyninder is a motor which spins the blue chains spin round like a blender, so that as they pass the wheel they go under it?

EDIT: No, I think the cylinder is a hydraulic or pneumatic actuator which lifts the little wheel off the tyre and stops them spinning, or pushes it on to make them spin.

Seems like it would last about 10 minutes before it broke.
-
(Chupacabras84) DELETED by Chupacabras84 : nvm the secret of the cylinder is revealed ;p
Quote from Crashgate3 :
Seems like it would last about 10 minutes before it broke.

From the looks of it it mounted on some big track i dont think they would mount something if it wasn't reliable, in the other hand i dont think its designed for great speeds, more like up to 30 km/h or situation when you try to make you way up the icy road.
You know the kind, shallow ascend, covered with ice so most of the car go to the top and then slide back down, wreaking chaos with wheels blocked.
oh i see what it does now...it wouldn't work in low speed though?
I know what that is - its for truck in icy/nonicy roads. So they can use the tire chains on icy roads (monstly going slowly uphill, but its also used downhill for a lesser extent), then they can turn it off to go on normal roads. That cilinder makes the chains spin around, so they are caught by the wheels. A flipswitch remotly turn the device on and off. The convenience of tire chains without the problem of taking them off on non icy roads.
Quote from Chupacabras84 :First time I am seeing something like this and I have to say, this is a freakin great idea.

The silver cylinder is a pneumatic actuator pod. When the driver activates the pod, the bar holding the chain wheel with a rubber friction drive (driven by contact with the tyre sidewall) is pulled via pivoting linkage causing the chains to rotate. Speed is the factor here, too slow and the chains will not have enough centripetal force to reach far enough under the driving wheels, too fast and catastrophic tyre failure is possible. Clever idea but to many variables for my liking. (chains dragging on the road when not in use with the possibility of a chain straying under the wheel at speed).
That's really clever imho. only problem is that when you have more than 10cm snow the snow will get cogged up in that contraption and probably block it from working. But that's just little bit of maintenance. Really neat system for some delivery trucks that need to go to places early in the morning before the roads have been swept. Or just to use them when you get stuck.

Of course it is cheaper just to have few buckets of gravel with you.
yeah, but when there are 10 cm of fresh snow on the road, you don't usually need tyre chains.

On the other hand, if it's like in the pi and it's a layer of compressed snow and ice, then that thing sure is handy, as you don't have to put them on and off all the time, which is not only time consuming, but also quite a PITA, or rather, in the fingers, due to the cold.
I'm just saying that kind of contraption under the car will gather up lots of snow and ice. Nothing few hammer punches couln't fix though
Quote from Hyperactive :

Of course it is cheaper just to have few buckets of gravel with you.

And a shovel no less.
My reaction to all of the smiles:

*scroll scroll scroll scroll*
Look in atachments
-
(Stiggie) DELETED by Stiggie
-
(AndRand) DELETED by AndRand
I wonder how fast Kamui Kobayashi gets off his racing suit and fireproof underwear...
Quote from TypeRacing :I wonder how fast Kamui Kobayashi gets off his racing suit and fireproof underwear...

I bet if you do that in your overalls your secret part would hurt for a few decades.
That's freakin EPIC!
This thread is closed

The inevitable picture thread III: Revenge of the funnies
(14533 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG