The online racing simulator
USB Splitter / Switch?
(12 posts, started )
#1 - Jakg
USB Splitter / Switch?
Looking for a USB splitter / switch. Would like to share on device with 2 PC's, or to have a switch to go from PC 1 / 2. IF theres a switch, it needs to be easy to mount / hide and black!

Suggestions?

Long story...

iPhone plugs into my car stereo via USB, however it charges really slowly (1% per hour when using TomTom...). Plus, when the stereo is in standby, no audio comes through the phones speaker, so I can't have audible directions unless I'm listening to music.

What I would really like is a way to charge my phone properly (i.e. using my 1A USB chargers), and letting it use the phones speaker when I want, and otherwise using the car stereo for music.

I thought the easiest way to do this would be to use a switch (i.e. to flick a switch and it swaps source), but I can't seem to fine one that wont look shit mounted in a car.

A splitter might solve my power problems, but it wont solve the audio out issues... but it's better than nothing.
Quote from Jakg :Looking for a USB splitter / switch. Would like to share on device with 2 PC's, or to have a switch to go from PC 1 / 2. IF theres a switch, it needs to be easy to mount / hide and black!

Suggestions?

Long story...

iPhone plugs into my car stereo via USB, however it charges really slowly (1% per hour when using TomTom...). Plus, when the stereo is in standby, no audio comes through the phones speaker, so I can't have audible directions unless I'm listening to music.

What I would really like is a way to charge my phone properly (i.e. using my 1A USB chargers), and letting it use the phones speaker when I want, and otherwise using the car stereo for music.

I thought the easiest way to do this would be to use a switch (i.e. to flick a switch and it swaps source), but I can't seem to fine one that wont look shit mounted in a car.

A splitter might solve my power problems, but it wont solve the audio out issues... but it's better than nothing.

use the ciggerette lighter for you're sat nav and buy a phone with interchangeable batterys & charge via usb.

simple as.
#3 - Jakg
What a helpful solution...
Hey im here to help.... ( also, this is why if you're an Ifag, you get a separate business phone... preferably an older nokia )
#5 - Migz
I think he means using the TomTom on his iPhone, so he cant plug the gps in separately as its on the phone.
Buy 2x USB extension cables, cut both in half, and connect female port's green/white wires to male plug's ones that goes into stereo and black/red ones to the plug that goes into your 1A USB adapter.
#7 - Jakg
Quote from E.Reiljans :Buy 2x USB extension cables, cut both in half, and connect female port's green/white wires to male plug's ones that goes into stereo and black/red ones to the plug that goes into your 1A USB adapter.

Interesting idea....

*looks up pinouts*
#8 - Jakg
Quote from E.Reiljans :Buy 2x USB extension cables, cut both in half, and connect female port's green/white wires to male plug's ones that goes into stereo and black/red ones to the plug that goes into your 1A USB adapter.

I've no idea why I didnt think of this before... didn't think there'd be a seperate data / power cable.

Opened all the cables up and will get my Dad to solder it up tonight. If it works, I've found an adaptor that can go from data / charging only with a switch, so that would sort my audio worries as well.
Can't you solder?
If that was the case, then maybe he could use his Dad's soldering iron, rather than making Dad do it for him!!
#12 - Jakg
Quote from tristancliffe :Can't you solder?

Depressingly, no...

My Dad often works nights (he's an engineer in a 24 hour factory) with nothing to do so doesn't mind doing little electrical things for me.
Quote from E.Reiljans :Maybe he doesn't has soldering tools at his home :P

Don't have any soldering irons at home either.

USB Splitter / Switch?
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG