The online racing simulator
RB8 GTR class car suggestion
(33 posts, started )
Hi guys,

I have the following idea regarding the much overseen RB4 car.

It has been my favorite car in the game since 2003 and i think that it has been much "forgotten" by the developers.

The GTR class is already with a 4wd car, turbocharged cars etc. I was thinking why not a N/A GTR class car made from the RB4.

I call it RB-8 as i would love it having a relativly small displacement V8 (say 4000ccm). This will add diversity to the GTR class. And it would be completely realistic as race regulations often restrict turbocharged cars to smaller displacement engines, and N/A cars are often allowed bigger displacement.

It could have a very big torque output and almost to similar amount of BHP to be able to compete with the other GTR cars available. It could be fitted with a 5 speed gearbox to make use of the torque but this will also give it a slight handicap compared to the other GTR cars ?

Bodywise i have made the following design suggestion:

Let me know what you think. Isn´t it about time the RB got a comeback ?
It would be nice to have the GTR-field expanded with an RBR (or RB8) and LXR (or LX8).
But I don't see it happen, unless mods are enabled at some point.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :It would be nice to have the GTR-field expanded with an RBR (or RB8) and LXR (or LX8).

Why not has the developers given up ?
I am wondering how RBR will be different from FXR, torque curve may be
#5 - kaynd
There are many more aspects that could be different than just torque curve.
Different weight distribution and suspension geometry alone could make a whole lot difference in driving experience. But none of those do really matter until the new tire model is done.
Yes I too was thinking the same, like XRR and FZR are different in handling due to the placement of engine for example. I am hoping Sirocco may not be the only addition.
Quote from rageshgr :I am wondering how RBR will be different from FXR, torque curve may be

I think the proper question is: should it be different ?

Take a look at motorsports around the world. BTCC use different cars, but they are allmost identical (FWD, Sedans, 300bhp, 2,0 litre engines etc).

In LFS GTR class i have often been thinking why the FXO GTR is made so slow in comparison, it doesnt stand a chance against the FXR and FZR..

Anyways, there should be some difference of course, but they should be very small. Like the torque of the engine for instance, and the use of only a 5 speed gearbox. One would also be able to think that a big lumpy NA V8 engine would make such a car a bit nose heavy, like the FZ has alot of weight in the rear.

I don´t think that a RB8 (as i call it) for the GTR class should be as different to the others as the FXO GTR is. I think it is a shame that the FXO are so different cu´s its a good looking car, and it has very good driving capabilities.

Main difference in a realistic GTR class would be the use of different engine layouts restricted by displacement on turbo charged powerunits, and normally aspirated ones, like they did in the Leman 24 race years back. They still allow Diesel engines to have 1000cc more displacement than gasoline powered cars.
If you take a look at the current GTR class cars, the Turbocharged ones has both got a displacement of 2,0litres, while the FZ is a NA 3,6 flat 6 engine. It´s almost like they thought it out that way too..

I think it´s important to keep LFS as close to the real thing as possible, and some extra GTR class cars would be absolutely lovely imo but with a minimum of differences to keep that racing close.
#9 - Sobis
Quote from monzta :FXO GTR is made so slow in comparison, it doesnt stand a chance against the FXR

FXO GTR IS the FXR. You were thinking about XRR?
Quote from Sobis :FXO GTR IS the FXR. You were thinking about XRR?

Yes of course my bad
Quote from monzta :I think the proper question is: should it be different ?

Yes dude I agree with you, see my second post It would be cool to have different cars suited to different driving styles
Quote from rageshgr :Yes dude I agree with you, see my second post It would be cool to have different cars suited to different driving styles

Totally.

Think about this car having the exact same low rpm power output as a Dodge Viper
510 hp (380 kW) @ 5600 rpm
535 lb·ft (725 N·m) @ 4200 rpm

It would be very "heavy" to drive and throttle applied gently to prevent wheelspin, especially if it only had 5 gears. Very long gear ratio´s could be applied to give a handicap over the other cars, but would still be very realistic. The car could propably have an edge regarding topspeed, but handling should be made heavy. Think opposite of the FZ50 GTR that is butt-heavy and has massive understeer. This car would have massive oversteer (more than the XRR). Weight distribution could be around 60F40R ?

Anyways, i hope that we will soon see some more cars in LFS. I am not sure if the developers know this, but the cars and driving them are really what most players do. I have tremendous amounts of respect for the physics models etc but the fact is that once you have driven LFS for some time it becomes uninteresting. I have played this game since the very beginning (2003) and i love realistic car racing games. I always return to LFS after a year or two as this is simply just the best racing sim in the world.. Nothing can match it, and i am very sad to say that most times i re-install it i am dissapointed in the fact that the cars are still the same... I mean, the Scirocco has been on the drawing boards since 2008 and there will be a new Scirocco from Volkswagen before we ever get the 1st one in LFS released.

I don´t think that its that much trouble to make new cars for LFS, it has just been underprioritized by the LFS team, wich i think is a shame... I can live with the tyre physics not beeing finished if we can get some new cars to drive while we wait ...
Quote from rageshgr :Yes dude I agree with you, see my second post It would be cool to have different cars suited to different driving styles

Also, it would make for a different 4WD experience (since I think the RBR should be a 4WD too)

It would be awesome to make the field on GTR's bigger, while still having the same balance.

Look at DTM for example.

DTM only has two brands of cars left: Audi and Mercedes.
Because it only has two brands left, I think it's less interesting to watch.

Having more cars would just make the field more interesting, which seems important to me.

Hell, I would even be glad if it would start out with an RB4 with FXR physics, as long as it's there.

Quote from monzta :
Anyways, i hope that we will soon see some more cars in LFS.

Me too!

I use LFSTweak a more and more lately, just to see how things would handle.
Seeing how easily cars can be changed with LFStweak, I'm actually quite surprised as to what cars CAN be made in LFS.

The potential is there, but it's not used yet, which is really sad, since LFS seems to be beyond its peak.

If/When LFS is abandoned, I see a future in which it will be developed by users/modders. So there will be lots of unofficial mods/cars which can be used on servers.
it could be AWD with no turbo, possibly. Like FZR is to XRR
now add LX8 (2.8 Hartley V8), RAR (SC V6) and another V8 Supercar styled 4-door saloon. Maybe a Wankel too:drunk:

btw, current GTRs are a hell lot of fun to drive with ~800hp. Inline-5 XRR ... :lovies3d:
Quote from monzta :Think opposite of the FZ50 GTR that is butt-heavy and has massive understeer.

I want to know how people make setups with understeer, Every set I make has the rear end of cars on ICE and the front end on glue, I can make the RB4 do 4 wheel skids around T3 of Oval
Quote from TehPaws3D :I want to know how people make setups with understeer, Every set I make has the rear end of cars on ICE and the front end on glue, I can make the RB4 do 4 wheel skids around T3.

Add pressure to the front tires and a harder front suspension, and do the oppisite to the rear. Downforce works in an obvious manner as far as that goes.
Quote from ACCAkut :now add LX8 (2.8 Hartley V8), RAR (SC V6) and another V8 Supercar styled 4-door saloon. Maybe a Wankel too:drunk:

btw, current GTRs are a hell lot of fun to drive with ~800hp. Inline-5 XRR ... :lovies3d:

yes, if the tires held up that could be a new class
Quote from TehPaws3D :I want to know how people make setups with understeer, Every set I make has the rear end of cars on ICE and the front end on glue, I can make the RB4 do 4 wheel skids around T3.

T3 of which track?
Quote from BlakjeKaas :Also, it would make for a different 4WD experience (since I think the RBR should be a 4WD too)

It would be awesome to make the field on GTR's bigger, while still having the same balance.

Look at DTM for example.

DTM only has two brands of cars left: Audi and Mercedes.
Because it only has two brands left, I think it's less interesting to watch.

Having more cars would just make the field more interesting, which seems important to me.

Hell, I would even be glad if it would start out with an RB4 with FXR physics, as long as it's there.

I´m not sure that i agree that another GTR car should be AWD. I´d rather see it with a XRR setup, but with a bit more weight in the front, and with RWD. AWD doesn´t seem that realistic in this race class. Also the FXO is FWD in "original" version, but for some reason got AWD as a GTR version. I´d actually also rather have the FXR as a RWD car as the AWD system seems to take way to much power from the engine

But hey that´s just me, and i really don´t care if only there where more cars to choose from.. And i totally agree regarding the DTM, boring boring boring..
Quote from monzta :Also the FXO is FWD in "original" version, but for some reason got AWD as a GTR version.

the FXR is heavily inspired by the Calibra DTM car, which was AWD, based on the production FWD. But had a V6.
Quote from ACCAkut :the FXR is heavily inspired by the Calibra DTM car, which was AWD, based on the production FWD. But had a V6.

Not true. Though open for discussion i think that the FXO is more inspired by the Honda Civic 5.th gen

The Calibra was produced with a 204bhp 2,0 litre turbo engine (C20LET) and AWD

Anyways, i can see some similarities in the bodystyling of the GTR and the Calli DTM. But this is not DTM (Touring Car Class cars) we are talking about. Its GT1 / GT2 cars (GTR) we are talking about with 500bhp more similar to Corvette GT2, Porsche GT2, BMW M3 GTR etc.. Those car all have RWD, so GTR cars should all be RWD imo.

I do not think that another AWD GTR car would be a succes, as it either will be too slow like the FXO GTR in comparison to the others, or too fast as it will have much better grip.. (The DTM Calibra was actually the reason that FIA disbanned AWD in Touring Car Racing)..

But, as it has been forever since we had a new car to play with in LFS, i am at the point that i will take what i can get, so i will not complain if they make a AWD GTR car more :banghead:

I WANT MORE CARS IN LFS :wmann3:

This is also another possibility for another GTR Class car, center engined, turbocharged and with similar power as the other GTR cars, should have a very low drag, and be very light and fast.

Quote from BlakjeKaas :It would be nice to have the GTR-field expanded with an RBR (or RB8) and LXR (or LX8).

to be fair, they did initial research and design on lx8, but it would be a heap load of work to merge their prev into the neewer game that their starting form scratch...
Hey monzta, Can you stop posting pictures of cars I dream about in LFS? It makes me want them more.

Honestly, I don't think GTR should get to much attention, It's the Mini-GTR cars that need love ( XFR - UFR, Forget their class) Since most classes have a nice variation (XFG/FWD to XRG/RWD) (RB4/AWD FXO/FWD XRT/RWD) So you can basically drive what you want and it's cool, I'd love to see some of the BTCC Style cars come into the XFR - UFR class, At least some RWD or AWD, It'd be nice. Like, The BMW(E36) series (all RWD) Fords (Racing editions/Focus)

I'll keep dreaming though. Also, Are you using Vob mods, Or are you actually sculpting the cars? if so, Nice imagination, You should do some 3D model work.
Btw your RB4 GTR front reminds of a great white shark Good one
Quote from monzta :

This is also another possibility for another GTR Class car, center engined, turbocharged and with similar power as the other GTR cars, should have a very low drag, and be very light and fast.

I would like to think of it as RAC GTR

(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG