The online racing simulator
Quote from S14 DRIFT :It has to be said compared with iRacing, C.a.r.s, many newer racing games

I will say this though.

As PMD Mentioned.. you can't hate it because nothing has changed .. lol, thought that was kinda funny but it is entirely true!

Things that S14 brought up is the problem nowadays, because people like me, who don't have the time money or interest to shove money down the drain pipe can't play games like iRacing and other pay per month kinda deals.

I understand the benefits to that system and they seem to be working really well, as far as updates, interesting things happening with the community etc.

The LFS Devs just aren't getting any money input like those huge businesses are. And I'm not saying it's because the iRacing guys are getting money all the time, BUT, that certainly helps when some high man in the business says hey I want a change.. oh hey we have the money to hire someone for a bit to program or model or whatever so we will.

LFS isn't getting any income, does it bother the devs? I don't know, but I don't think it does either. Not in the sense they don't need money (we all do), but in the sense that we all know they like to do things their way, and we all wouldn't be here if they weren't like that. If I had to pay every month to have an LFS.exe icon in a folder, it wouldn't have been there... probably ever actually.

As of now I still just say it's a failing of marketing, and updates.
If the devs want to see a huge improvement, make a major announcement, and market the HELL out of the game.

For those that know me well, you know my father used to be a part owner of Road Atlanta here in Georgia.

Another thing he did that is quite impressive (I will never be able to do what he has done lol not fair!) is.. he and a group of friends threw out an advertisement in the newspaper one day for a small tire company. It was all the money he and his friends had. Go big or go bust.

One advertisement. A few friends. A small shop.

It's now known as National Tire & Battery; aka NTB.

Thus.. my word to the devs. If you want to see a huge increase in positive motion from.. everything and everyone, make a big announcement. Market it with all the free website we have on the internet (mainly twitter and facebook), and go for it.

If it's a lack of funding.. do what Turn10 (Forza team) does for Xbox. Charge a few bucks for new content. I think I put $100 into Forza 3 with extra cars and tracks along with the game (STUPID.. but I did it).

Charge people $5 for Rockingham and the Sirocco.. people will pay.
I know they will.

I really think the devs aren't aware of how much influence they have on majority of people in this community.
Quote from XCNuse :

If it's a lack of funding.. do what Turn10 (Forza team) does for Xbox. Charge a few bucks for new content. I think I put $100 into Forza 3 with extra cars and tracks along with the game (STUPID.. but I did it).

I know they will.

I really think the devs aren't aware of how much influence they have on majority of people in this community.

Spot on!
#29 - Be2K
Quote from Eric :... or get a life. LFS can't help you with that, no matter how good it gets.

Quote from Amynue :Like a boss.

Eric was wrong One of our Community Mates is racing in a real Racingcar now, coz he won many Leagues. Some people spotted him because he was "the best and fastes" Sim-Racer here.
Quote from XCNuse :I will say this though.

As PMD Mentioned.. you can't hate it because nothing has changed .. lol, thought that was kinda funny but it is entirely true!

Hate and annoyance don't always go hand and hand though. We might not hate LFS, but we can be annoyed by its development.

Quote :

I know they will.

Such a simple system like that could go such a long way. iRacing charges way too much and surprisingly haven't even made much of any profit. LFS however, as you said, really has nothing to lose. It is to a point where the hole is so deep that they must strap a rocket to their back and hope it shoots them out.

A system that I would be fine with is the payment for content only. LFS couldn't ever do a subscription based payment method because it has nothing to subscribe to. However many things can be done content-based.

The idea of a "SDK" or developer tools have been tossed around with the intention of releasing them after S3 release.

So lets go on a journey into LFS imaginationland.

This would be all content based, physics come with LFS updates automatically.
S3 release: 3 cars, 3 tracks, 12 pounds
Each additional official track release (from Eric himself): 3-5 pounds (size matters)
Each additional official car release (from Eric himself): 3 pounds
Developer Tools released: Licensed at 35-50 pounds (cry me a river )

Vic I believe has already done a test on LFS.net using voting polls. So what happens next is that users that have the developer tools and are producing content can submit it to the LFS developers. After 3-5 have been recieved, developers make a poll on which one should be included into LFS. Even the ability for the user to want to charge for the content (say 2-3 pounds) and that user would get 10% of the earnings, the rest going to the developers.

The developer polls could happen once every 2 weeks, rotating between cars and tracks (aka one a month), with the actual content update being every 1-2 months.

------------

Is it a risky model to take? Of course, but it is better than what we have now. We haven't even got another language pack update!!!

Anyone complaining about "too much money", honestly just get over it.
Pretty sure that development has completed stopped and Eric works in a sweatshop according to his post that was linked above.
Quote from Mango Juice :Pretty sure that development has completed stopped and Eric works in a sweatshop according to his post that was linked above.

Hi Eric,

I still am against the idea of an SDK package or an "extension" of LFS or anything of the sorts.

That concept has been beaten to death plenty of times and always comes back to the issue of quality control and wrongful doing.

rFactor took that route.. and honestly it seemed as though it was constant bitching and moaning because someone didn't have one little file or something got corrupt and they couldn't play on some server because of some mismatch.

LFS has hackers right now as it is, making that public.. I am fully against, and always will be. (against in the sense of it being public. let modders do what they want, interesting things usually come from there, and shutting that down entirely is usually not a good thing)
Look at minecraft; java platformer.. but hell, Markus is adding things to the game on a DAILY basis because someone mentioned it, or some modder figured out a better way to do something or whatever.

but as far as an SDK goes. No.

When LFS dies off entirely and the devs call it quits, then yeah, I won't have a problem when the modders bust down the doors and start doing all this crazy stuff. But an SDK.. just.. not a fan of. To many variables.
Matters how you look at SDK. I'm not meaning being able to manipulate the entire game. I'm talking about just content specific. So basically for modders. As of now you can already modify cars quite a bit, however tracks are encrypted tightly.

Maybe I should have just used "modding tools", but I thought being content based it was a given what I was meaning.
I always get happy when I read about games that are in development.

Look at those guys from Automation for example.

They keep people up to date via Twitter, just to let you know they are still working on it.

I now have no clue whatsoever if LFS has been dead for 4 months, or if the guys have been incredibly busy working on an enormous overhaul concerning graphics/physics/content.

THEY JUST DON'T LET US KNOW. :sadbanana
Quote from XCNuse :Charge people $5 for Rockingham and the Sirocco.. people will pay.
I know they will.

I would not pay. But don't get me wrong. I really like LFS, but that would just suck, because my parents wouldn't let me to pay for that little content and I'm not sure if they will allow me to buy S3. They would say that it is the same as throwing money into water.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :I always get happy when I read about games that are in development.

Look at those guys from Automation for example.

They keep people up to date via Twitter, just to let you know they are still working on it.

I now have no clue whatsoever if LFS has been dead for 4 months, or if the guys have been incredibly busy working on an enormous overhaul concerning graphics/physics/content.

THEY JUST DON'T LET US KNOW. :sadbanana

:sadbanana
I NEED THE SUNSHINE IN THE MORNING! HEADING FOR THE OPEN ROAD!

SUNSHINE IN THE MORNING, BOYS YOU GOTTA LET IT GO!

Lolwut.
RIP thread, like all the others asking for some enlightenment about development and the current state of LFS.
No screenshots, no teasers, not a single word in months from the devs. Don't want to sound rude, particulary because LFS is one of the most valueable software in terms of replayability I ever bought, but a little communication and transparency regarding development and future plans doesn't hurt anyone.
It's the community's fault.
You guys seem to have forgotten what happens when Scawen posts about the state of LFS development.

Many people seem to interpret Scawen's posts as an invitation to beg for more information and complain when they don't get it. People complain about content, and they don't get new content. Usually posts in this type of thread get nasty.

Despite the devs addressing this behavior, people insist on continuing in the same fashion.

Scawen mentioned that Eric has been working on new S3 content.
Wanna see it?
Just think about what happened for years after the Scirocco announcement. Don't fool yourselves into thinking that wouldn't happen again now.

We know LFS is in active development. Don't worry about it.
The ability to import tracks would be a huge boost for LFS IMO. Importing cars and physics not so much I believe but tracks yes.
Well to summarize your posting Mountaindewzilla:

1. Don't ask or even talk about anything related to the current state/development of LFS
2. Anyway no one is going to answer anything - not to speak of making any form of announcement because some utterly childish forum members could ask a few years later what's going on with these

So why keep this forum alive in the first place?
i personally think scrawen has said enough at this stage, he isn't one to lead us up the garden path... he just takes his time and folks get overly excited.
Quote from Mountaindewzilla :We know LFS is in active development. Don't worry about it.

I suppose you know numbers for lottery winning numbers too?

No, we don't know, and you don't know it's in active development.
We hope it is.
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1606899#post1606899

Quote from Scawen :Dear LFS Racers,

We are pleased to announce a new version of Live for Speed with many updates and improvements. The new tyre physics model is still in development, so this version uses the old tyres but with an improved collision system, open track configurations, free view mode, and much more. It provides some interesting new features for LFS racers, while we continue our development. Thanks to our forum members for testing over the last eight weeks!

What else can be said?
I can understand and I do sometimes feel like I need to know more about what is happening, maybe this is because my time is important to myself?
Or do I need to justify the time?
Do the team behind LFS need to justify theirs?
Anyway point I am making is that its bloody obvious devs still love LFS, and hopefully the community (although behaviour is like that of spoilt children at times on these forums).
LFS is quite a gem, I have not come across many like it in my time (as a 37 year old Gaming/Tech Enthusiast)
I've been playing since early demo days and like Mr Nolan and no doubt many others, I had a period as a long using demo racer who made the plunge after a year nearly on demo, on the mouse.
I have never looked back too much, and never feel that I have to look forward so far to know that this driving experience will continue to reward me, regardless of perceived progress.
few years ago it was okay to make an announcement twice a year, but now people are in hurry all the time, everything works instantly, we have internet in our pocket, travell much faster, get tons of new info every day so thats why we miss this in LFS, we got used to read updates very frequently, these devs dont realize it. even new chrome/firefox version is out every 6 weeks, they bring less updates, but much, much faster. i know this model cannot be applied to each software, but progress updates can be. and if there is absolutely no progress within 6 months, we can leave and let the last one turn off the lights in the room.
I totally agree, posters are very childich.
An annoucement is made regarding the launch of a new version "next week", and three years later the new version seems to have completely vanished, with no explanation whatsoever. And then people seems a little bit desoriented... do you believe that ? What a bunch of wheeners !!!

[Merged] Discussion regarding LFS development
(1577 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG