The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Quote from theirishnoob :i agree, thought i feel that tuning is not about gains in power or shortening you're 0-60 ( or whatever most dream about ) its more about getting a reliable well rounded machine that performs veyr well for its specs.

I'd say that is the case for most cars but others just have an ultra piss-poor factory tune to begin with. I drove my Porsche 944 for about two years before I just plain gave up and pulled out the laptop, emulator, and the reprogrammable chips.
The car pulled way harder starting about 1200rpm sooner and just kept on pulling hard way past where the factory had the limiter. Oh yeah and the first half of the pedal actually did something. I ended up putting it back to the factory tune because I had issues which ended up being junk in my injectors and fuel rail.
All I can say is that I hate the factory tune and I am putting it back to the way I had it first thing tomorrow morning. It has been 3 days and it is pissing me off.

I swear Porsche spent the time to enlarge the engine to 2.7 liters and up the compression to 11:1, use bigger valves and intake, and then decided to use the tune from the 2.5.
...and while you're at it, could you make my car (2.5l, 110kW) go swooshier as well?

greetz

der butz
it seems the people who most doubt remaps, etc, are those who haven't actually had one, or have had one but on cars which don't respond well to them.

turbo diesels respond best to a remap, followed by a turbo petrol. remapping a non-turbo petrol, or a diesel, will see hardly any improvement whatsoever in performance, although deadzones can be mapped out which is handy if your car is like a cayman s which has a deadspot at about 1900 rpm.

my car is quicker than my mates corsa 1.7cdti which has 130 bhp so..not massively but enough for me to have to back off a fair amountt so i stand by a true 149bhp as per the dyno print out. not doubting some tuners to screw things up but if you stuck at the reputable ones, for example i use r-tech where possible, or AMD technik or custom code...if you use bob in his back yard then perhaps not...

Quote from theirishnoob :i agree, thought i feel that tuning is not about gains in power or shortening you're 0-60 ( or whatever most dream about ) its more about getting a reliable well rounded machine that performs veyr well for its specs.

yeah that's pretty much why. though i reckon the remap took 2-3 seconds off my 0-60. apparently it's 10.2 or something from the factory, i got 7.8 to 60 after the map! considering it's more economical now as well..it's actually paid for itself by now..

Anyway i fitted some news lights a couple of weeks ago (can't remember if I posted on here but anyway) after weeks of debating getting a HID kit..i finally caved in.

i couldn't put a HID kit in my standard reflector headlights because the scatter would have been appalling. so i bought some hella celis lights and ran around with some phillips ultra blue xenon bulbs for a while, which were actually really good. they are halogen bulbs but burn at about 4000k, best halogen bulbs i've tried which are road legal.

anyway i stuck a 4300k HID kit in my car and very happy with the output and beam pattern. i chose 4300k because i wanted maximum light output and an oem look. anyone who has 6000k hid lights is a chav.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCiUViL629Q&hd=1

i even got the install very tidy with holes in the lense caps with seal in place, ballasts mounted on the lights out of the way (going to re-do them as i found out there's space underneath the lights for them), cables nice and tidy.
i got 8k's love em
How many watts?

I have 6k

but it is there because I got them for $25 (with ballasts and everything) and they match my halos.. which I actually turned on today in like a few months haha.. I usually run halos during dusk and it isn't quite dark enough to use headlights.
35w in mine.

55w are quite hard to find comparitvely!!

emustang, hope you have projector headlights too otherwise i fear your light pattern might be a bit like this.

would be very blinding to other drivers

they look nice but as for light output you'd be better off shining a torch out of your window above 6k.

4300k D2S Philips = 3200lm (lumens)
4300k D2R Philips = 2800lm (lumens)
4300k D2S Philips = 2400lm (lumens) actually 5800k
4300k D2R Philips = 2000lm (lumens) actually 5800k
4800k D4S/R (brand) = 3800 (lumens) -- brightest in the market
5800k D4S/R (brand) = 3300 (lumens)
7000k D2S other = 1790lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
7000k D2R other = 1390lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
8000k D2S other = 1180lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
8000k D2R other = 780lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)

basically the higher the lumens the better the output of light. remember that k is just a colour, basically. i did a lot of reading up while deciding the best kit lol. apparently a standard halogen bulb is about 960lm.

Although take that table with a pinch of salt, those D2&4R/S bulbs are OEM types of bulbs fitted to OEM Xenon systems in Audis, Mercs, Jagwaaaars, that sort of thing. As a rule of thumb 4300 or 5000k for best light output. but if you went mainly for looks then haha that's Ok

http://www.hidplanet.com/forum ... 7924-the-hid-fail-gallery

a good link for some laughs nevertheless
Quote from S14 DRIFT :it seems the people who most doubt remaps, etc, are those who haven't actually had one, or have had one but on cars which don't respond well to them.

I'm not doubting that remaps work. I've been in plenty of cars with not just chipped ECU's, but piggybacks and in some cases stand alone.

Theres no doubting they work, i'm just saying that the dyno figures when they're done mean absolutely nothing because theres so many different varying factors. A dyno is a tuning tool, thats it, its not an accurate measure of power.

So it irks me when people say "I gained xxhp with my remap"
Especially when the claims are something silly like 50hp, when theres been no other modifcations(Mainly breathing mods) done to the car. (Exhaust/intake etc)
^ Well that's because they are idiots and .. probably drive a ricer.

If you know anything about how an engine works, you should know that changing a little computer chip will not give you that much power. Some, yes, but not that much.

I'm amazed how much I can feel my Hypertech, it pulls so damn hard in 2nd gear, I get quite a bit of torque steer which is something I haven't experienced in my car before, it's quite radical.

One guy on the forum with .. a very long list of mods however had an increase of gas mileage to an extent I just find it impossible to believe but.. he used to get on average 21mpg which is normal for city driving. Now he says he can just as easily achieve 27mpg.. I just find 5mpg kinda .. much.
I haven't seen any mpg gain in my car yet (although they claim you'll get some), but.. I also have been pushing the card much harder lol
Matte steelies, hell yeah. Winter tyres fitted, just finished painting the rims.

Click.
Have fun failing your MOT next year S14
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Matte steelies, hell yeah. Winter tyres fitted, just finished painting the rims.

Click.

I might be wrong, but i thought Steelies are always matte black? (atleast mine are matte)
Quote from BastianB :I might be wrong, but i thought Steelies are always matte black? (atleast mine are matte)

When they were new, yes. These are 15+ years old rims, so they were rather gray, with some rust here and there. See here.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :When they were new, yes. These are 15+ years old rims, so they were rather gray, with some rust here and there. See here.

Haha okay now i understand
Quote from S14 DRIFT :

emustang, hope you have projector headlights too otherwise i fear your light pattern might be a bit like this.

yes of course i have projector headlights.i had to go 8k coz the angel eyes are 6k halos,and they make a nice combination.and i actually love the 8k blue color,its so nice
from all the mods on my car these xenons are the best.i could not see anything,i mean realy anything with the h7 bulbs.the difference is so huge im still amazed
good man! haha bet it looks good post up a pic if you have one

Quote from DejaVu :Have fun failing your MOT next year S14

I have friendly MOT testers who would let me off that kind of thing. My MOT is up in like September so no worries really. Besides i can drop the bumper remove the lights and change bulbs over in about 30 minutes now so not much work haha.

Quote from XCNuse :

One guy on the forum with .. a very long list of mods however had an increase of gas mileage to an extent I just find it impossible to believe but.. he used to get on average 21mpg which is normal for city driving. Now he says he can just as easily achieve 27mpg.. I just find 5mpg kinda .. much.
I haven't seen any mpg gain in my car yet (although they claim you'll get some), but.. I also have been pushing the card much harder lol

Well I do believe my dyno results as my car does feel 45bhp faster.
and i did actually get more mpg! the most i got out of a tank was about 530 before i had a remap, afterwards I can get easily over 600 on a tank! my average mpg has gone up by about..i'd guess 3(town) to 10(highway), but like i said, depending on conditions.

reason it increases MPG is because the engine is more efficient, makes better use of it's fuel and air. on a NA petrol then 6mpg gain would probably be lies but on a turbo'd car that's very possible.
this is the only good pic out of the 50 i took
Attached images
100_04342.jpg
looks great haha.
Here is my 1st car buyed 1 month ago, it cost 3600€ but got it for only 200€...

Pug 206 2.0 HDi (90 hp) with longer gearbox.
Lot of things to do on it... Engine wasnt working, plus it appear the gearbox was dead.
In fact, the clutch "bearing" (sorry for the word, dunno if google translate give me the good one xD) has exploded, and it broke the TDC sensor.
We took profit that the engine was out to replace entiere clutch, timing belt, water pump etc.
ATM the engine is working again and the gearbox wasn't dead finally.
Now maybe to change all brake (especially fronts one), buy 4 new tires for 14" rims from 405 1.9 MI16 and to change all the interior...
Way too many BMWs lately in this thread. Seeing as I owe BigPeBe pictures of what I have under the hood, here's a few of my Westfield

Edit: WHY WON'T U SCALE DOWN?!?
Gorgeous.
ive got a zetec in my car as well...to bad the surrounding isnt as nice
Will someone please tell me why I scaled down my pictures in photobucket to around 640x440 yet they're still big? I feel like an utter technophobe.
Quote from BAMBO :Will someone please tell me why I scaled down my pictures in photobucket to around 640x440 yet they're still big? I feel like an utter technophobe.

They aren't, the last picture for example is 638x476.

Nice car btw

E:herpderp, they're all 638x476, didn't notice
20mpg ftw. she drinks gas faster, then i chug milk

So tell me how it is driving around in a car made out of the trays you get in bumper boxes of biscuits? I've been reading some reviews and was thinking of buying one.

Chairs look comfortable though.
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG