The online racing simulator
What is it that makes you mad about that article?
The fact that Wheldon is named as a NASCAR driver.
Quote from 5haz :The fact that Wheldon is named as a NASCAR driver.

I don't really blame him, journalists not getting their facts right just winds people up.
Also spelt his wife Susie's name as Suzi later in the article.

Goes back to the Spencer quote about media pretty much.
Quote from PMD9409 :Also spelt his wife Susie's name as Suzi later in the article.

Goes back to the Spencer quote about media pretty much.

Exactly. If you're going to do a report, at least make it look like you truly care.
Every time I have told someone (whom I didn't know as a racing enthusiast) that I went the the Indy 500 this year, they instantly began to talk about NASCAR.

Why does this country suck so bad.
-
(RiseAgainstMe!) DELETED by RiseAgainstMe! : fdsjoofasfasnifsjisdfofj boobs.
Why are some people equating lower grip with less stability? High down force cars loose stability when other cars take the wind off their wings, or when gusts of wind hit their cars, or when they are aimed more than a few degrees off the direction they are traveling. Once they loose that down force they become high speed bullets looking for a target.

If you look at some pre-wing videos of cars at the Indy Speedway, you will see that the cars that spun entering a turn often slid to a stop on the inside of the track before ever reaching the exit of the turn. They might loose 30 percent of their grip going sideways or backwards but it still was stopping the car.

My vote would be for no wings, no under trays, and narrow tires. If a car is going 150 instead of 225 in the turns then the kinetic energy is reduced by more than half. Getting traction out of the corners reduces the ability of the cars to reach high speeds on the straights as well as the fact they would have to brake earlier to slow down for the corners.

The biggest advantage is that it would mean that driver ability would count for something again and I would resume watching the races. Maybe all those no-talent drivers with sponsors would no longer be taking up seats the real drivers should have.
I think people are assuming the the current average lap speeds achieved by the cars needs to remain fixed, when that really doesn't have to be the case.

Also its important to remember that its not the overall level of grip available that affects stability, rather the consistency of that grip under varying conditions, such as cornering. A car with no aerodynamic downforce can be perfectly stable provided it is driven within the limit of adhesion available, which would vary depending on car setup and fundamental design, tyres and track conditions.
Quote from Rappa Z :Every time I have told someone (whom I didn't know as a racing enthusiast) that I went the the Indy 500 this year, they instantly began to talk about NASCAR.

Why does this country suck so bad.

(begin rant)

This country don't beleive in racing as a whole to be truly honest with you. Sure, we used to love our cars and our sports cars, but racing; nobody thinks anything of it hardly. It's easy, anybody can do it, it's simple and lazy.

Far from it, and everybody who's ever given it a chance knows better. It's like what George Orwell suggested in his novel 1984: People who are immerced in society will slowly just take what society gives them to be true and people slowly lose the desire to find truths for themselves. American Society's view of racing being lazy and boring never gets challenged in society therefore it remains true in the eyes of society.

At least they know a little bit about auto-racing I guess through NASCAR which has managed to catch a hold of the sect of Americans who are highly patriotic and enthuiastic.

It takes a series that runs almost every week to hold America's attention and not forget about it, and it takes a series which has rules and a governing body which provides for more excitement than true racing. Honestly, it's what a series HAS to do here to keep people watching. I know it makes racing enthuiests mad, but NASCAR is to Racing what Nickelback is to Rock music. It's keeping racing alive in this country's mainsteam media and society's eyes just as Nickelback does rock music.

Both of these things I love (Rock and Racing that is) and both of them are getting killed by our oppressive society and the thousands of faceless people who populate it. It's really sad, but it's how I see American society.

Why is it like this? Well, quite simply because we've had technology and computers (for the general population) longer. Other countries are catching up to us. Don't make fun of us; make sure that you don't end up like us, because that's where you're headed too, slowly

(end rant)
Pippa set for a 6 months recovery according to her Facebook profile. "If all goes well".

:/

Quote from Cornys :(begin rant)

This country don't beleive in racing as a whole to be truly honest with you. Sure, we used to love our cars and our sports cars, but racing; nobody thinks anything of it hardly. It's easy, anybody can do it, it's simple and lazy.

Far from it, and everybody who's ever given it a chance knows better. It's like what George Orwell suggested in his novel 1984: People who are immerced in society will slowly just take what society gives them to be true and people slowly lose the desire to find truths for themselves. American Society's view of racing being lazy and boring never gets challenged in society therefore it remains true in the eyes of society.

At least they know a little bit about auto-racing I guess through NASCAR which has managed to catch a hold of the sect of Americans who are highly patriotic and enthuiastic.

It takes a series that runs almost every week to hold America's attention and not forget about it, and it takes a series which has rules and a governing body which provides for more excitement than true racing. Honestly, it's what a series HAS to do here to keep people watching. I know it makes racing enthuiests mad, but NASCAR is to Racing what Nickelback is to Rock music. It's keeping racing alive in this country's mainsteam media and society's eyes just as Nickelback does rock music.

Both of these things I love (Rock and Racing that is) and both of them are getting killed by our oppressive society and the thousands of faceless people who populate it. It's really sad, but it's how I see American society.

Why is it like this? Well, quite simply because we've had technology and computers (for the general population) longer. Other countries are catching up to us. Don't make fun of us; make sure that you don't end up like us, because that's where you're headed too, slowly

(end rant)

Well, some concepts are more likely to get commercial success than others. And what can you do about that? Not everyone's a die-hard racing(or rock) fan. It isn't hard to figure out that a racing series with, uhm... "entertaining" regulations(yea, **** that stupid chase) is more likely to get mainstream than say... an endurance series like ALMS or Grand-Am. Not hard to understand either that an easy listening alternative band with teenage lyrics is easier to sell than some prog band shitting a double concept album every 6 months. And oh yea... Arcade games sell more than realistic driving simulators developped by independant 3 men teams.

The masses are attracted by easy entertainment, rather than by the genuine, but not "as easy to get" experience. Sad but true, and it has nothing to do with the US. Is there a real need to put a big conspirancy theory over that?

Your move to make things change. The "oppressive society" still isn't "oppressive" enough for you to boycott NASCAR, and go with some buddies to the local track. Or to some obscure non-commercial artist's gig
Actually a ridiculous amount hate the chase.

Also, more media idiocy. Warning, you will get mad.
Quote :I wasn’t watching the event—I’ve never seen more than a SportsCenter clip of an auto race

I don't think I've ever seen someone destroy their credibility in so few words.

Her football comparison is simply spectacular. It's OK if football players are ultimately killed by years of hard play (Every player is damaging themselves every time they play), but a for one top level auto racer to die among hundreds of others is completely unacceptable?

To make matters worse, this man is almost certainly correct:
Quote :Guys - you completely miss the point. Of course Megan Greenwell is ignorant about auto racing. That's not the point. The entire point of these articles is to generate web traffic by addressing a 'controversial' subject.

It's boilerplate kind of stuff, and the authors *genuinely* have no interest in your opinion one way or the other. They simply care that post/tweet/email because it furthers their agenda - that being making $$ for themselves.

The best thing you can do in situations like this is completely ignore the respective authors. You ignore the drivel - eventually they fade away back to the nothingness where they came from.

Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :

Well, some concepts are more likely to get commercial success than others. And what can you do about that? Not everyone's a die-hard racing(or rock) fan. It isn't hard to figure out that a racing series with, uhm... "entertaining" regulations(yea, **** that stupid chase) is more likely to get mainstream than say... an endurance series like ALMS or Grand-Am. Not hard to understand either that an easy listening alternative band with teenage lyrics is easier to sell than some prog band shitting a double concept album every 6 months. And oh yea... Arcade games sell more than realistic driving simulators developped by independant 3 men teams.

The masses are attracted by easy entertainment, rather than by the genuine, but not "as easy to get" experience. Sad but true, and it has nothing to do with the US. Is there a real need to put a big conspirancy theory over that?

Your move to make things change. The "oppressive society" still isn't "oppressive" enough for you to boycott NASCAR, and go with some buddies to the local track. Or to some obscure non-commercial artist's gig

No, no, I like Nickelback and NASCAR both for what they have been able to acheive within the boundries of something not in and of its self popular.

I'm not saying that it's a conspiracy either, I'm just saying that, for more than a quarter of Americans, anything not popular just can't be good. It's what growing up in this society has taught a great number of people. Nobody means for it to happen, but human nature in and of its self has us wired to do this. If you have read Orwell's 1984 I think you will have a little better understanding than those who have not.

I move to make changes every day, and even though it alone doesn't get society anywhere, if enough people did the same, it could do a whole lot

What you're saying sort of adds to my point. International people actually give things a try more often than Americans. The majority don't even give NASCAR or any kind of motorsports a chance, and those who don't have an interest in it don't even care to have a minor concept of what racing is and the different series.
Quote from PMD9409 :Actually a ridiculous amount hate the chase.

I was already fuming after the 3rd paragraph.
Of course, there always are the sensacionalist idiots in journalism who decide to make an unfortunate tragedy a reason why racing should end altogether. Of course, they pick on the large field, the dangerous 1.5 mile track and all the other aspects that made the LV race dangerous. Then they proceed to make up stuff on how racing would've been "shut down" to prevent more deaths, and then start talking about being more strict with safety, proving that they either don't know jack shit of what they're talking about or are just ignoring the numerous improvements done over the years, specially in every sport they (briefly) referred on that article. An article written by some thick bastard who goes on an all-out attack towards something without even getting his/her facts right.
(guess I should've paid more attention to PMD's warning before I went on a rant )
I wouldn't post that artical PMD. It truly is just a publicit stunt. Not worth discussing. I understand why you would post it, but I wouldn't encourage that artical to become popular

To be honest it's a very 'American' news article.

"SOMEONE DIED IN US SANCTIONED MOTORSPORT, WHAT???? THAT means ALL motorsport is bad, wrong and unsafe and should all be banned of course!"
Quote from Rappa Z :I don't think I've ever seen someone destroy their credibility in so few words.

That was by far my favorite line to read aswell.

Quote from Cornys :No, no, I like Nickelback and NASCAR both for what they have been able to acheive within the boundries of something not in and of its self popular.

Quote from Cornys :I wouldn't post that artical PMD. It truly is just a publicit stunt. Not worth discussing. I understand why you would post it, but I wouldn't encourage that artical to become popular

You lost all my credibility when you said you liked Nickelback.

They re-use beats in different songs, come on now!

Quote from BlueFlame :To be honest it's a very 'American' news article.

"SOMEONE DIED IN US SANCTIONED MOTORSPORT, WHAT???? THAT means ALL motorsport is bad, wrong and unsafe and should all be banned of course!"

Not an American news article. More like a news article written in a kitchen.
Quote from PMD9409 :You lost all my credibility when you said you liked Nickelback.

They re-use beats in different songs, come on now!

lol, well, that I might have done
Quote from PMD9409 :

Not an American news article. More like a news article written in a kitchen.

Well, when I say 'american' you know what I mean. Most of the US guys on here are very open to international motorsport, but alot of people inside the US only seem to know what goes on, IN the US, and not worldwide, although that's changing alot these days. It used to be that you had to explain you WERE from London and that London wasn't the ONLY place in the UK. That hasn't TOTALLY changed yet...

Had no effect on me. It is just some article written by someone who knows nothing about racing, does not understand it and has probably formed her opinion about it while writing that article.

Her idea of banning motorsports altogether is nothing new although in this age it is totally over the top. But in the 1900-1970s it might have been sensible choise as the kill rate was just too high. And during those times her article would have probably received similar reception...

But again it is just her lack of knowledge that shows here. She saw someone mentioning Dan being killed while watching some some fashion tv show about cats and thought there are drivers being killed like in the 50s and 60s.

I think she makes some good logical points but overall all what she says is pure bollocks as she clearly knows nothing about what she is writing about.

Reading that gives nice viewpoint about how people totally outside motorsports view motorsports though. It is not a viewpoint backed by facts which is why it is important to understand what these people see. Effectively the future of motorsports is decided by people who watch cat fashion shows and it is important that these people are aware of the facts. Instead of killing her cat and tearing its dress I'd invite her to watch some motorsports event live to give her some idea what is it about.
Quote from BlueFlame :Well, when I say 'american' you know what I mean. Most of the US guys on here are very open to international motorsport, but alot of people inside the US only seem to know what goes on, IN the US, and not worldwide, although that's changing alot these days. It used to be that you had to explain you WERE from London and that London wasn't the ONLY place in the UK. That hasn't TOTALLY changed yet...

Alot of people in the US don't even know what goes on in the US, let alone the world. I'm sure it is probably like that in every country, just can be noticed more here I guess.

Quote from Hyperactive :Had no effect on me. It is just some article written by someone who knows nothing about racing, does not understand it and has probably formed her opinion about it while writing that article.

Her idea of banning motorsports altogether is nothing new although in this age it is totally over the top. But in the 1900-1970s it might have been sensible choise as the kill rate was just too high. And during those times her article would have probably received similar reception...

But again it is just her lack of knowledge that shows here. She saw someone mentioning Dan being killed while watching some some fashion tv show about cats and thought there are drivers being killed like in the 50s and 60s.

I think she makes some good logical points but overall all what she says is pure bollocks as she clearly knows nothing about what she is writing about.

Reading that gives nice viewpoint about how people totally outside motorsports view motorsports though. It is not a viewpoint backed by facts which is why it is important to understand what these people see. Effectively the future of motorsports is decided by people who watch cat fashion shows and it is important that these people are aware of the facts. Instead of killing her cat and tearing its dress I'd invite her to watch some motorsports event live to give her some idea what is it about.

It's an outside view for sure, just seems a bit too far out.
Quote from PMD9409 :Alot of people in the US don't even know what goes on in the US, let alone the world. I'm sure it is probably like that in every country, just can be noticed more here I guess.

Like I said, everyone I know thinks the Indy 500 is a NASCAR race.
Quote from PMD9409 :Alot of people in the US don't even know what goes on in the US, let alone the world. I'm sure it is probably like that in every country, just can be noticed more here I guess.

Well, yea you're right, it just seems amplified in the US, not hating on y'all though, just saying.
Me too.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG