The online racing simulator
Electric cars in LFS?
(224 posts, started )
I have more posts than most people and I do so my opinion is more valid. Besides you have admitted to being him before so it's not new..
Maybe if it had some technology like the hybrid Porsche GT2 race car, but not fully electric. It'd take too long to recharge.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I have more posts than most people and I do so my opinion is more valid

It's quality not quantity

Sorry, couldn't resist
Touche my good man.
Couldn't really read that too well due to the horrendous formatting/paragraphing, but as far as I can tell it was saying that fuel cells are expensive, inefficient and generally useless. That may be at the minute (apart from the inefficient and useless bits) but as far as cars of the future when we run out of petrol there isn't much practical choice.

This was particularly interesting:

Quote :Fuel cells are popular in aerospace applications, where light weight and relatively cool operation trump price (though they still need oxygen to run, so they're not ideally suited to the "space" part of "aerospace").

So how else do you propose e.g. Apollo 13 obtained electricity?? Nuclear power??
I'd much rather have a nice Jaguar 5.3l V12 thanks.

Quote from Weasley123 :I'd much rather have a nice Jaguar 5.3l V12 thanks.

Very nice to know your opinion.

Move along.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :honda fcx clarity > that stupid redneck article. move along shadowww.

That 'stupid redneck article' is made up of facts, and you have no idea what real TCO of FCX Clarity is.
No-one said it's cheap, that's why it's CONCEPT vehicle that just happens to be in real-world testing. Honda have said if it was in mass production (like a Civic) it would cost about £25-£28000. So cheaper than both the Nissan Note and that stupid electric Peugeot.

You're banned anyway your opinion is invalid like someone with no legs.
Do you even understand what TCO is?

Hint hint: it's not related to purchase price at all.
Total Cost of Ownership.

Don't need reminding, it's what I deal with on a day2day basis. Hydrogen is the most abundant substance on earth so it's feasible that the costs to "refine" it would certainly not be any more than Petrol of Diesel is today.
A 100 US$ hydrogen fill provides as much energy as $2.78 fill of petrol.
Quote from E.Reiljans :A 100 US$ hydrogen fill provides as much energy as $2.78 fill of petrol.

Source?
We all are able to make up numbers like that.

e.g.
"A $1.01 fill of cocoa & peanut butter will make my 1951 VW T1 go to the moon and back".
I once pissed on a Frenchman from the Dover coast.
Quote from E.Reiljans :A 100 US$ hydrogen fill provides as much energy as $2.78 fill of petrol.

But that's only because hydrogen is so expensive to extract at the minute.
At the minute? That was there in 2006. I'm sure the cost has dropped a lot since then.
generating hydrogen via electrolysis is capped at around 50% efficiency... ill always be stupidly expensive
Quote from E.Reiljans :http://www.dansdata.com/gz066.htm

Wow, an article wrote five years ago and last modified three years ago, with most of the links that give me a 404.

That's like me saying "No, really, I went on the moon with my cocoa powered VW T1 back in 2006, here's the site on which I posted the photos: http://www.herestheproofofwhatisaid.com/"

The thing is, I don't know (nobody does) what will be the next power source for cars, when petrol will run out. But I'm sure it won't be batteries+electricity.

Batteries have improved, but they still have lots of downs and not many (or better, no) ups. Nobody will buy a car that, after N kilometers will need X hours of recharge.
If I went to work by an electric car, I could charge it when I'm in my office...
But if I had to go from where I live (100km from Milan) to visit my family 50km from Bari, Apulia, southern Italy (total: 1000km) I would have to stop ten times (once every 100km) for AT LEAST half an hour. That's 8h 30m of travelling, and another 5h of charging the batteries. But that's IF the batteries took half an hour to charge fully.. At the actual state, to charge a battery at 100% it takes at least 1 or 2 hours, so I will take 18h30m to 28h30m to arrive.

Or I could take my petrol powered Fiesta, stop every 700km or so, (3 times going back and forth) and be there in less than 10h.

As I said, I don't know whether fuel cells will be the future or not, but whatever will be the "next" fuel, it should be as similar to petrol as it can be. Lots of km's between refuelling, possibility to stop at a X station and buy more fuel that fills up your "tank" in less then 5 minutes.
freddyalek.. 1000km is just ten 100km 'cuts', not 100..
Quote from E.Reiljans :freddyalek.. 1000km is just ten 100km 'cuts', not 100..

Maths fail there, corrected. Still, it would take half a day/a full day more to arrive, that's not an improvement, it's called "going backwards".
Quote from E.Reiljans :freddyalek.. 1000km is just ten 100km 'cuts', not 100..

Still, his point stands.

Electric cars in LFS?
(224 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG