The online racing simulator
[Merged] Discussion regarding LFS development
Ive not really been around that much, just check out a couple of posts here are there so i just wondered if development still on going? or has it been publically announced that there is no more development?

i just wonder, that is all.
Not heard anything, but it's quite clear from the amount of developmental work which can be seen over the last few years that the LFS project is coming along swimmingly.
Quote from R3DMAN :Ive not really been around that much, just check out a couple of posts here are there so i just wondered if development still on going? or has it been publically announced that there is no more development?

i just wonder, that is all.

im sure development is done where possible, but frankly doing things right at a snails pace is better then rushing to produce an arcade/generic racer ( not that lfs is breaking the mold, but trying to set standards rather )
i see so were all still assuming there is development work being done atm..

scawen, it would be nice to hear from you (i doubt he will read that lol)
I'm not assuming that.
Quote from R3DMAN :i see so were all still assuming there is development work being done atm..

Devs do read the forums.
#7 - troy
Quote from R3DMAN :i see so were all still assuming there is development work being done atm..

Usually it's a good sign if we don't hear from scawen for some months, that means he is busy coding. If he posts he is taking a break, so I rather have him not post for a while longer.
Quote from troy :Usually it's a good sign if we don't hear from scawen for some months, that means he is busy coding.

Or moving his house
or re-plumbing his bathroom.
or planning the kitchen
Or making more babies.
All sarcasm aside, I think the LFS community has LOTS of patience with the development.
Full stop of development is at the time the best aproximation of what's happening.
For those on the forum, sure you could say something like that.

For those who have passed the website and never the forums.. I would call it dead.

Previous posts on the main page:
June 17, 2011 - progress report
(The one from January doesn't count in my opinion.. it was looking back over half a decade ago, that isn't progress...)
December 24, 2010 - progress report
February 17, 2010 (not an update; just stating the server moved)
November 28, 2009 - LFS now has self updating installer.. (that was actually a nice update)

The last 'real' update we saw was from December 2008 when they announced the Scirocco coming to LFS.. let alone we never saw any pictures or anything until August 2009.

Sure LFS is taking its time.

No twitter, no facebook, just a website and a forum, and some junkies that touch the game every once in a while... who got the game in middle school, and have now graduated from college and have a full time job.

I'm not bashing, but for a game as superior as this.. and as far into development as this is.. a "real" update every once in a while would be nice.

The devs are on the forums more than a few times a month, probably several times a week looking at what bugs people are having etc.
If they have enough time to respond to some people's questions, Victor can certainly take a 5 minute coffee break once a month to show a cutesy teaser shot of a tire or something and write a few sentences.

The little things.. go a very long way.
Asking the devs to share their progress is akin to asking Jesus to pray towards Mecca. They have their way of doing things and a big two fingers to anyone who has a problem with that. If they spent as much time giving information to people as they did banning people for no reason, I'm sure the community would be a lot nicer.
yes, and also the ones that left a large corporation to enthuse their own passion and be able to support said lifestyle.

Sure people pay for S2 every now and again, but let's be honest.. LFS is NOT marketed by any means.

Even if it was, there would be so much hype and let down due to lack of updates and progress (that we know of).

I can promise you that this project is not supportive to anyone's needs at this point anymore. (if it ever was besides S2 release)
Just close the forums since I'm not seeing an update ever anymore.

Only bitching and whining is left.
Quote from XCNuse :yes, and also the ones that left a large corporation to enthuse their own passion and be able to support said lifestyle.

Sure people pay for S2 every now and again, but let's be honest.. LFS is NOT marketed by any means.

Even if it was, there would be so much hype and let down due to lack of updates and progress (that we know of).

I can promise you that this project is not supportive to anyone's needs at this point anymore. (if it ever was besides S2 release)

Providing an update without saying a timescale would avoid the "lack of progress" complaints.

It has to be said compared with iRacing, C.a.r.s, many newer racing games, LFS looks like it was made in 2006....but hey it's the devs decision so idc what they do.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Providing an update without saying a timescale would avoid the "lack of progress" complaints.

It has to be said compared with iRacing, C.a.r.s, many newer racing games, LFS looks like it was made in 2006....but hey it's the devs decision so idc what they do.

LOL

just delete the timestamps on all the posts :P

As for saying it looks like it was done in 2006.. well.. hey go figure, check that out lol

The graphics imo still aren't bad, I am still quite happy with them. It's just small detail in models and textures that have a bigger impact.. and post processing and color stuff.. things you can do with your graphics card or photoshop to make you happy.

It's things like the FZR that are slightly annoying.. there has been more than plenty of time to make the interior up for that car. And the other R models for that. Or really any of the untouched interiors.

The GTi, GTiR.. still.. hands down the most gorgeous interiors for the game. Why aren't the others up to those.. how many years down the road?
but I suppose at this point I am complaining. But it has been a very.. very.. very long time.

I will say one thing positive.

From playing the demo and buying this game back when I was in middle school, all through high school, and all through college. I am more than glad the project did not die, as that would be entirely displeasing, especially after.. being part of this community for almost half of my life.
Plenty of other games have come and gone between those times. Very few of which I can play for a few minutes and still be happy with.
Quote from XCNuse :LOL

it's just small detail in models and textures that have a bigger impact.. and post processing and color stuff.. things you can do with your graphics card or photoshop to make you happy.

exactly! you can make LFS look nice by photshopping a picture but why can't it look like that to begin with?

Quote :It's things like the FZR that are slightly annoying.. there has been more than plenty of time to make the interior up for that car. And the other R models for that. Or really any of the untouched interiors.

The GTi, GTiR.. still.. hands down the most gorgeous interiors for the game. Why aren't the others up to those.. how many years down the road?
but I suppose at this point I am complaining. But it has been a very.. very.. very long time.

Amen to that brother. I can't mention anything about the graphics developer as I hear he can be a bit heavy with the banhammer and won't want to piss him off.

Nothing like driving around in an 80's shitbox with 90's graphics.
Woot.
Quote from XCNuse :For those on the forum, sure you could say something like that.

For those who have passed the website and never the forums.. I would call it dead.

Previous posts on the main page:
June 17, 2011 - progress report
(The one from January doesn't count in my opinion.. it was looking back over half a decade ago, that isn't progress...)
December 24, 2010 - progress report
February 17, 2010 (not an update; just stating the server moved)
November 28, 2009 - LFS now has self updating installer.. (that was actually a nice update)

The last 'real' update we saw was from December 2008 when they announced the Scirocco coming to LFS.. let alone we never saw any pictures or anything until August 2009.

Sure LFS is taking its time.

No twitter, no facebook, just a website and a forum, and some junkies that touch the game every once in a while... who got the game in middle school, and have now graduated from college and have a full time job.

I'm not bashing, but for a game as superior as this.. and as far into development as this is.. a "real" update every once in a while would be nice.

The devs are on the forums more than a few times a month, probably several times a week looking at what bugs people are having etc.
If they have enough time to respond to some people's questions, Victor can certainly take a 5 minute coffee break once a month to show a cutesy teaser shot of a tire or something and write a few sentences.

The little things.. go a very long way.

So true, when I discovered this game (around 2005) I was a young boy and now I have a driving licence and a car. Time passes so fast...

On topic, I agree with everything he said. I think it's time for the a bit of a change of development style. I'm not saying videos of physics or anything because a lot can change, but maybe announce another S3 content. The "secret development" of everything just doesn't work and makes the game look dead.
Honestly, I wouldn't be to concerned for the development for LFS, It *looks* pretty dead, Even though there is stuff we cannot see happening, I'd say just toss it onto another disk drive and play it when you are bored, I find it's fun to race every now and then, But I think it's mostly the community's fault, For instance, If i make *one* mistake, in cargame, Anywhere, really, I can instantly get called a noob. (Possible in a racing simulator?) Idiot, Or various combinations of "retard" and "blue flag" And in several different languages.

And secondly, LFS doesn't do Pay to play.. So their isn't really enough funding to update as much as they like, Like Iracing for example, They can crank it out all they want, Dev team is huge, money coming from everywhere.

I'm still left clueless as to why LFS chose a 3 man team ONLY... Like.. Wtf?
Tight knit crew. They've known each other for so long. They know how to communicate, and work efficiently. So It makes perfect sense as to why they haven't grown out of their.. trifecta haha

Yeah sometimes the actual online gamers can be pretty harsh, but that's true for just about any game, just not much you can do.

May lag spikes be the killer of racing games online till the day I die lol
When trying LFS demo back in 2003 or so, I was just waiting for updates before I decided to sink my time into (at the time I was heavy into NR2003). In 2005 I decided it was time to hop over as updates were coming at a decent rate. S2 was out and the whole world cheered. I wasn't too bothered by the updates until 2009. Obviously the failed update with the Scirocco happened, but that wasn't the reason. As time grew on, it wasn't that LFS was getting worse, which is impossible because there was never a change to it, it just that it wasn't getting better. People can't stay here forever, we could with updates, but when there is none in 3 years time I just don't understand how people can.

I still drive on here from time to time, and mainly do league stuff now. I got this though in middle school, and am not in my 3rd year of Uni and feel like I am playing nearly the same game. That's good and all, but if the devs want anyone to stay around they have to produce something to keep us around.

"The loyal will stay". Yeah, not forever.
Quote from kimd41 :I'm not saying videos of physics or anything because a lot can change, but maybe announce another S3 content. The "secret development" of everything just doesn't work and makes the game look dead.

i think at this point most of us have accepted that words are just words, and when the patch comes, it will. or it won't. frankly, i stopped caring, myself. if all s3 is, is rockingham (in only one direction), the vws, and a possible mystery car (whatever that could be), it won't be as big as s2 was. i know i won't be upgrading my account when it hits.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :
...I can't mention anything about the graphics developer as I hear he can be a bit heavy with the banhammer and won't want to piss him off.

This brought back some sentimental memories

[Merged] Discussion regarding LFS development
(1577 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG