The online racing simulator
What is wrong with the tyres?
(47 posts, started )
Quote from XCNuse :i dont know, but im pretty sure that the tires work right, its just they still dont have as much grip as they should.. well the TBO class for sure

but i could be wrong, it might just be my noneffective perception to speed in the game

Happy Birthday XC, Dont drink and drive!!
Quote from ThomasSoerensen :
If you want to see a good simulation of a car - try out netKar Pro.

lmao. yes if u manage to make it run past the endless bugs, im sure the nkp f1800 physics models perfectly your 350z.
As is the FZ50.... I see no space for an engine in the rear and remeber in specs as "Front Engined" .... illepall illepall
FZ50 is rear engined
aaah

I knew that ...
My mistake ... Silly me :uglyhamme
#31 - axus
Quote from Blowtus :cars in lfs still slide pretty funny. anyone that doesn't think so need only take the fxo for a gentle drive and feel the rear end float around...

That is owed to the rather buggy diff physics. The locked diff is dodgy but faster in FWD for whatever reason. The clutch-pack diff doesn't have a preload setting yet but that's not such a big problem for RWD's.

Tyre physics in LFS are as good as it gets for the public right now. NetKar does aerodynamics and drivetrain better, much simpler aspects of physics than tyres. LFS just hasn't had a huge amount of time put into them as yet. LFS vs. nK physics is much of matter of personal opinion (if you think GTR, GTL or rFactor have better tyre physics, you're blind or gulible). Both sims manage to reproduce car behaviour reasonably well. As Tristan mentioned, nK has some bugs that need fixing. LFS does too in the drivetrain department. Both have excellent feedback, despite going about it in a different way. I have spent much more time in LFS and know how the car will react in just about every situation. With my few weeks in nK, I can say that I can guess to a reasonable level how the car will react. LFS is much more alive right now though, which is why I'm not going to bother putting any time into nK.
Quote from ThomasSoerensen :One other thing could be my kerb-riding. It seems like driving on the kerbs reduces grip a lot. Maybe that is realistic.

I did once some laps on the GP circuit in Montreal with a Ford Taurus (ok, not much of a sporty car, but still)...and I was really surprised how strong the car reacted when driven over the curbs... lots of wobbling and other unsporty stuff going on... LFS in my opinion is not that far from RL...

just my thoughts/experience
Quote :How come the 3 accesible cars in the demo slide/drift around like they were driving on ice?

Reasons for understeer:
A) You are driving too fast
B) Your tyre pressures are too high
C) Your castor angle is wrong
D) You work in marketting for NK Pro
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
By the way, welcome to S2
slide/drift = oversteer Becky

Also, for understeer: E) You're steering to much
Quote from AndroidXP :By the way, welcome to S2

whoa, he was fast
welcome to S2, I hope you as much fun with the Caterhams as I do
#37 - axus
Certainly, welcome - enjoy the LX's, they're my favourite cars in LFS
Quote :slide/drift = oversteer Becky

Terminology nazi . I never really use the words "drift" except as part of a phrase or sentence, "I drifted out" etc, the word "slide" doesnt mean "sideways" either ... So I guess I just got confused. Seeing as our chap here is getting oversteer I wish to revise my list of possible causes:

B) Your castor angle is wrong
C) You can't drive
D) You are too vigorous with the wheel
Quote from Becky Rose :
B) Your castor angle is wrong
C) You can't drive
D) You are too vigorous with the wheel

LOL @ C & D
Theres 2 D)'s... Double D's... :P
let the harrassment begin

j/k
#42 - Tomi
I will add in this discussion that the default setups in LFS are far from "market ready road setups".

I will also add that the 350Z can easily slide and drift when pushed hard. But I don't think you drive it on normal roads like Tiff Needell in a racetrack.
yeah if ya watch top gear 5th gear or any boy racer buddies of yours with sportscars... you'll see pretty much anything with over 180hp thats rear wheel drive can be made to oversteer quite easily if you are going fast enough with the right technique... even some fwd cars
Quote from ThomasSoerensen :Hi

Yesterday I downloaded the game and used it in demo mode.

I expected the sound to be a bit bland from previous test of the demo in older versions. But what I did not expect was the tyre model.

What i wrong with it?

How come the 3 accesible cars in the demo slide/drift around like they were driving on ice? Is it the tyre model? or is the road that is wrong. It felt like I was driving on very very worn tyres that should be illegal both on road and track.

Will this be fixed in the coming patches or is it how you guys like to drive?

I drive a Nissan 350z as my daily car and I do not slide around like that - even when braking and turning slightly at the same time.

If you want to see a good simulation of a car - try out netKar Pro.

Yes, I thought the same thing when I tried the demo. I couldn't believe nobody was talking about how easily the car slides and loses traction at low speed. Felt unrealistic. The training had the same feel to it. Lost grip very quickly. Then I kept reading the reviews and had to try the full version.

Whoa! The S2 version is a masterpiece. I've never gone back to rFactor since. Everything feels right, physics, tires, setup changes, etc. I'm fortunate enough to run LFS at 1920x1080 (32 bit) w/maxed out details on a Westinghouse 37" widescreen monitor and it is stunning. Together with 5.1 surround sound, Momo wheel, ECCI pedals, this sim really pulls you in. Driving the BMW F1 car at speed makes a grown man giggle.

The AI can be very aggressive at PRO level, but I'm sure this will be tweaked in upcoming patches.

NetKar Pro looked terrific also but the cars seem underpowered compared to the cars in LFS & rFactor. I'll probably give it a go anyway. The reviews have been very positive (love those cockpits).

trfab
At very low speeds there are some mild problems.

However speed has no bearing on how easy it is to loose grip. If anything, you've more torque at low speeds due to gearing, so it's easier to overcome the grip of the rear wheels.
Quote from Bob Smith :At very low speeds there are some mild problems.

However speed has no bearing on how easy it is to loose grip. If anything, you've more torque at low speeds due to gearing, so it's easier to overcome the grip of the rear wheels.

Just felt like the inertia factor was exaggerated and made the car very loose (in the demo).

trfab
Quote from The Dide :I did once some laps on the GP circuit in Montreal with a Ford Taurus (ok, not much of a sporty car, but still)...and I was really surprised how strong the car reacted when driven over the curbs... lots of wobbling and other unsporty stuff going on... LFS in my opinion is not that far from RL...

just my thoughts/experience

I think LFS is still far too leniant about kerbs in road cars. I know the arguement is that you're starting off with a new car everytime but in the end of the day you do IRL with F3 and I don't know if anyone here saw the British F3 race at Pau, they were using the kerbs very hard and during the course of the race several cars suffered suspension failure as a result.

What is wrong with the tyres?
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG