The online racing simulator
Eyefinity on xp?
(46 posts, started )
Eyefinity on xp?
Does it work?
From AMD's site:

Quote :What Operating Systems does AMD Eyefinity technology work with?

At present Windows® Vista and Windows® 7 support AMD Eyefinity technology. There are plans for Linux support in an upcoming update to AMD Catalyst™ software. There is no support for Windows® XP.

But seriously, why would you still be on XP?
Why wouldn't you still be on XP?

OK so I use OS X for work these days but my home computer still has XP on it. If I built another computer tomorrow I would probably put XP on it. What's the point in Windows 7?
Thx. That leaves me between a rock & a hard place, as im looking at upgrading my triple screen performance for winter. Need Win7 for latest softth & also win7 for eyefinity. Been hanging on to XP as long as pos.

Anyone have a copy of Win7 they can sell/loan me?
Quote from thisnameistaken :Why wouldn't you still be on XP?

XP is 10 years old.
Asking that is like asking "Why wouldn't you still be on 98? " in year 2008.
There's nothing wrong with Windows XP. I only recently (early September) went onto Windows 7 Ultimate x64 at home after nearly 6 years with Windows XP. The only reason I updated my OS to begin with was because I bought a new HD.

In terms of gaming, XP x64 is better as it requires less system resources than 7 (as in Crysis which ran on my PC fine under XP x86 now stutters from time to time under Windows 7 x64.

Age isn't a problem, it's security, and features, and to the professional user who doesn't care about fancy aero graphics, or a "I'm too lazy/stupid to know where my programs are installed so I can type in the name and it appears", XP is no worse than Windows 7 if it has the latest patches and security fixes.
Quote from E.Reiljans :XP is 10 years old.

XP SP3 is 3 years old, problem?
Quote from TypeRacing :XP SP3 is 3 years old, problem?

That's like saying "CoD WAV was released in 2011 cause it's newest patch was released in 2011".

Also, to S14
>fancy Aero graphics
you do realize that main purpose of Aero is speeding up the UI, not making everything prettier.. right?
No, it makes everything prettier. Makes people who don't like computers go "OHH, THAT LOOKS PRETTY. I'll buy that.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :No, it makes everything prettier. Makes people who don't like computers go "OHH, THAT LOOKS PRETTY. I'll buy that.

No, they buy Macs
I can't undesrtand how anybody that has used (not tried) Windows 7 for at least an entire week can say that "there is nothing wrong with XP".

Win7 does the same, plus a lot of more things. The GUI is a lot better and the search button does actually works, 64 bits, constant security updates, etc, etc.

Now, I'll try to run away before people start to say all those pros XP has over Win7 and any other OS in the world
-
(E.Reiljans) DELETED by E.Reiljans
Quote from E.Reiljans :That's like saying "CoD WAV was released in 2011 cause it's newest patch was released in 2011".

You can't compare games and operation systems. IMO it's okey to use XP till 2014. april.
Quote from E.Reiljans :XP is 10 years old.

Yeah but Win98 was terrible, XP is actually pretty good. In terms of the fundamental problems XP has got (inevitable cruft, the registry [aka 'junk drawer'], lack of an indexed filesystem, etc.) they are still present in Windows 7, so I don't see any point in upgrading.
There are many changes that are not so visible that were done on Vista/Win7, different driver model, kernel was redesigned for more security etc. Win 7 is simply a better OS. Not that there's anything wrong about using XP, but you'll have to get used to developers not always supporting old OS-es for everything. Like eyefinity.

Lack of indexed file system - I thought NTFS was indexed? If you mean that Windows' search through files is horrible, I agree. I installed cygwin so I could use grep and locate.
Quote from thisnameistaken :What's the point in Windows 7?

apart from the ui being a lot better in every way i dont see how anyone would go out buy 3 identical monitors and presumably a rather expensive pc with a rather expensive graphics card to actually render games at that sort of resolution but not be able to afford a comparably dirt cheap 7 licence
Nothing expensive about my pc. All the parts are 2nd hand apart from the case & my 19" monitors were £40 each. I bought an original copy of xp about 3 years ago & expected to last at least 5yr. This time i cant share the cost as no one else in my house would benefit from upgrading to 7.

Maybe i should slip a few notes kegteys way, see if can make his newer versions compatible.
#18 - Jakg
Quote from anttt69 :I bought an original copy of xp about 3 years ago & expected to last at least 5yr.

Really?

You bought an "old" OS when it's successor was already out - a successor which featured new kernels, new versions of DirectX, many MANY other large changes under the hood, and expected it to be able to run all the new stuff for 5 years?

Are you new to technology?

Considering the amount of work that goes into an OS, I can't say £70 is bad value.
aside from what jack said
youve got a 2nd hand and thus presumably rather odl pc and expect to be able to play games at twice the pixle count of 1080 where even high end machines will struggle with some games?
I dont expect to play games at huge resolutions, I am playing games at huge resolutions. Your point is.
Quote from Shotglass :apart from the ui being a lot better in every way i dont see how anyone would go out buy 3 identical monitors and presumably a rather expensive pc with a rather expensive graphics card to actually render games at that sort of resolution but not be able to afford a comparably dirt cheap 7 licence

Oh I can afford it, I just don't want it. What's wrong with that?

My mum's computer is running Win7, I don't like the UI. It's not so much an improvement over XP as a reshuffle, and I'm happy with where things are right now. Why waste time finding everything again just for the sake of having a slightly different looking desktop with the same shit underneath?
Kev, word unto your Momma.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Why waste time finding everything again just for the sake of having a slightly different looking desktop with the same shit underneath?

there are a lot of things about the ui that work way way better
for example you can click on window previews when you alt tab now to save time
also you can access windows and quicklaunch programs via windows+number key
The only thing on Win7 which is better in terms of UI is the "click windows and then type what you want to find".

From a technical perspective, troubleshooting things takes twice as long as everything is hidden away in sub menus.
Quote from Shotglass :there are a lot of things about the ui that work way way better
for example you can click on window previews when you alt tab now to save time

Like Expose on the Mac. To be honest I prefer clicking around on the XP taskbar to switch programs, it works pretty well.

Quote from Shotglass :also you can access windows and quicklaunch programs via windows+number key

I don't spend a lot of time launching programs, I tend to have the same set of programs open all day.

What would make me buy a new Windows OS is if they fixed the insane cruft levels and put out a version of Windows that ran just as fast in three years' time as it did the day you installed it. Until they fix that I'm not interested in upgrading.

Eyefinity on xp?
(46 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG