The online racing simulator
separated sounds for startup / idling engine?
I use CSR and I try to use some other sounds as the standard things, so I found some nice Ford Capri sounds in the Virtual Racing Classic Mod for rFactor.
CSR-sounds generally are based on rFactor sounds, they have the same names excepting the car-name. For example original: "CAPRI_OFFHIGH" and CSR for LFS: "XRR_off_high".

I renamed them and it works perfectly in LFS.

BUT: There are also some sounds like (original) "CAPRI_STARTUP" but there is no counterpart in CSR for LFS...
I'd like to know if there is a possibility to replace even these files. I mean there actually _is_ a sound for the engine starter (you can hear), but I don't know where it is and how to replace it because it seems that this sound is not taken by CSR but by LFS itself?!

please help me! :-)
I think you can just put the sound file in data/sounds folder and then load it by clicking on the 'L' button in SHIFT+A mode, in Starter section.
Ah thank you!

New problem: the file is 1,07MB and has to be 64kB...
Do you know a tool which I could use for compressing the wave file? :-)
Can you compress it to an MP3?
Nope.

U can only use WAV files. Also, WAV cant be compressed into WAV. Its lossless format.
Quote from hazaky :U can only use WAV files. Also, WAV cant be compressed into WAV. Its lossless format.

Yes it can, by lowering bit depth / sample rate / making it mono.
Quote from E.Reiljans :Yes it can, by lowering bit depth / sample rate / making it mono.

How are you still a demo racer? Someone needs to get this man an S2 license.
Quote from E.Reiljans :Yes it can, by lowering bit depth / sample rate / making it mono.

I will try some points today/tomorrow, thank you

That's encoding
Quote from hazaky :Nope.

U can only use WAV files. Also, WAV cant be compressed into WAV. Its lossless format.

WAV is just a container format. You can store compressed data in a WAV file. You can even store mp3 data in a WAV file. Whether or not LFS can read a compressed WAV file, and if so which kinds of compression, I have no idea.

I just got bored and tested it very quickly. I tried two kinds of compression, 4-bit ADPCM and 2-bit cADPCM. Neither would work with LFS, it turns out it requires a 16-bit, PCM wav file. Bit rate doesn't seem to matter, though.
I tested some things...

Seems that LFS needs 44100 or 22050.
I even got my soundfile down to 64-128kB which LFS is able to read, BUT:

LFS only plays motor-starter-sounds or dump valve sounds for example that are UNDER 1 sec. length!!

This is my last problem and it's really sad because with a sound below 1 sec. my cool starter-sound is useless...

Anyways, thank you guys!
-
(hazaky) DELETED by hazaky : double post
Quote from wheel4hummer :Bit rate doesn't seem to matter, though.

Mono/Stereo shouldnt matter either.
Quote from phoenixIlooka :LFS only plays motor-starter-sounds or dump valve sounds for example that are UNDER 1 sec. length!!

Why would u need a longer starter sound if the car starts up fairly quickly? I mean like ... u press the starter, a 0.5sec sound is played for example and that's just perfect becuase by then the engine has reached its idle RPM.
sure but the soundfile is about 6s length and it's so beautiful...
just listen... (attachment)
Attached files
XRR_STARTUP.zip - 1.1 MB - 186 views
Um ... no.

This will sound very horrible in LFS. U need just the starter sound, not the car sound. Do u even imagine those 2 car sounds colliding? It will sound very bad. So basically with this sound, its not a problem.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG