The online racing simulator
Cleaned my pc and got over my flu slightly :3. A Last Hurrah Before I save up on Sandy Bridge-E platform.

Final Specs:
Core i7 860 @3.81ghz
Asus P7P55D Deluxe. (upgrade from 2 biostar mobos t5xe and tpower i55; both served me well)
G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb(2gbx4) 1600 @1703.
Corsair H60 (idle 42~ish Load 61)
Sapphire Radeon 5870
Zotac 9800gt (for pissX)
Asus Xonar D2X (upgrade from Auzentech X-Plosion Cinema)
Silverstone DA650 (kept it since initial build)

Hdd's:
1x 1tb Samsung Spinpoint F3 (games and movies)
1x 2tb Samsung Spinpoint (dedicated to anime)
1x 500gb Samsung Spinpoint (boot drive)
1x 500gb WD green (for photoshop, premiere, and BT scratch disk)
Drobo with 4x2tb Samsung spinpoint hdd's for backups.

Monitors: Asus VE-248H and old HP vs17.
Mouse,kb.etc: Logitech G500, Logitech G510, Saitek Pro flight yoke kit, Logitech g25 (Waiting to pre-order the elite wheel from fanatec).

Audio stuff:
Denon AVR-790 (Yamaha gave up so brought in the living room one and bought another new Denon to replace that)
front and center on old sony cabinets with my own drivers
Rear: Dayton bookshelfs slightly modified
LFE: Dayton HSU-1 (punchy sub )
Attached images
pic-1.jpg
pic-2.jpg
pic-3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic-5.jpg
pic-6.jpg
i wanted to get that watercooling unit too,but im glad i didnt. 42 idle? lol i got same proc litle less clocked and mine idles at 26c max load 48 c
Quote from e2mustang :i wanted to get that watercooling unit too,but im glad i didnt. 42 idle? lol i got same proc litle less clocked and mine idles at 26c max load 48 c

Watercooling is about quietness, not about performance*

*note how in real life scenarios watercooling is inferior to air cooling in every single way.
Quote from E.Reiljans :Watercooling is about quietness, not about performance*

*note how in real life scenarios watercooling is inferior to air cooling in every single way.

I'm sure you can get better temps with a proper air cooled heatsink and still have less noise. My CPU is passively cooled and runs cooler then that and I doubt it makes more noise then those stock cheap fans.
cooling performance depends on a lot of factors than what type of cooler you choose. Things from ambient temps. from both case and room, cpu overclock in terms of how much volts and bclk you push through. I can get lower temps. by getting better, quiter fans and by setting up the h60 for push-pull but cooling all depends on what target temps. you want to be happy with. Core i7's aren't the type of chips to be kept at reasonably temps you really have to experiment with cooling solutions to get the right target temps' fwiw I don't need to keep idle my cpu chilly, I just wanted the load temps to not exceed above 66 at close to 4.0 (which i am thinking of pushing to). At the moment my chip likes higher volts to stay stable hence the somewhat high idle temps. (1.31 vcore and ridiculously high vtt of 1.29). To add to the noise though; the noisiest thing in my case is my 9800gt and 5870 in that order.

EDIT: it's quite careless to tell people X type of cooling is better than Y when people need a specific type of solution not a comparison. Also I still think the mass market water-cooling-in-a-box can mature more and fill in the gap between high end air and full blown water cooling setups.

EDIT2: My room temp. is also hot btw. due to another desktop I use to crunch polys for 3ds max (dual xeon workstation)
Quote from anik360 :EDIT: it's quite careless to tell people X type of cooling is better than Y when people need a specific type of solution not a comparison. Also I still think the mass market water-cooling-in-a-box can mature more and fill in the gap between high end air and full blown water cooling setups.

Not any soon that is.
I think we'll get something next year since both AMD and intel are bundling asetek's newer cooling tech on their Enthusiast platforms as optional equipment. The market wants to adopt the hybrid setups. It's still shit though because you still will end up running a 2 fan or 4 fan push-pull setup to get good cooling performance. I will have to invest into a regular water cooling solution for sandybridge-e next year.
Quote from anik360 :I think we'll get something next year since both AMD and intel are bundling asetek's newer cooling tech on their Enthusiast platforms as optional equipment. The market wants to adopt the hybrid setups. It's still shit though because you still will end up running a 2 fan or 4 fan push-pull setup to get good cooling performance. I will have to invest into a regular water cooling solution for sandybridge-e next year.

It sounds interesting but I doubt they will be any good for overclocking.

A regular watercooled PC is not worth it for me. It's quite expensive if you do it right and the performance is not up par to the costs. Hell, I even wonder if it will be (more) silent then an air cooled solution with proper fans.
Quote from Bose321 :Hell, I even wonder if it will be (more) silent then an air cooled solution with proper fans.

It can't be.

Cause Prolimatech Megahalems runs overclocked 2600K with no fans at all.

Even if some water cooling could run without fans, there still would be pump noise. :P
Quote from E.Reiljans :It can't be.

Cause Prolimatech Megahalems runs overclocked 2600K with no fans at all.

Even if some water cooling could run without fans, there still would be pump noise. :P

Exactly... Water cooled systems are obsolute. They maybe used to be better in performance AND noise. But nowadays they're just for looks and to look 'cool' IMO.
For cpu cooling I agree with you to some degree, for some heavily overclocked cpu's watercooling still wins. On the other hand through gpu cooling still makes alot of sense. You do get some pump noise but if you mount it properly to reduce vibrations then the loudest part of the computer becomes the hdds and even more noticable when spinning up. Though it is nice being able to cool everything with fans at 600rpm

my cooler has the silencer fan on it.baerly makes any noise,like you have to put your ear next to to hear something. i am very pleased with it(acrtic cooling freezer 13,limited edition) so there goes your performance and noise theory
Quote from e2mustang :my cooler has the silencer fan on it.baerly makes any noise,like you have to put your ear next to to hear something. i am very pleased with it(acrtic cooling freezer 13,limited edition) so there goes your performance and noise theory

Note how I have 40°C after 24 hours of stress-testing*
*and you have more.
Quote from E.Reiljans :Note how I have 40°C after 24 hours of stress-testing*
*and you have more.

note you dont need to stress test for 24 h
Quote from naranca :pic

You could've at least didn't do such a piss bad attempt on the editing.
Not on my phone now so I can read this thread properly. Firstly I would say it is a good idea to distinguish between the all-in-one watercoolers (Corsair HXX range, Antec Kuhler etc) and custom watercooling.

Really don't know how to take this. All in one watercoolers are only about as good as the top end air coolers in terms of temps. Where they really shine is in things like htpc's where there isn't room for a giant tower cooler. Custom watercooling can be about both though, if you go for the silent end of watercooling you will get good performance (usually better than air on cpu and big temp drops on gpu's compared to air) or the other end is pure performance where nothing on air will get close.

Quote from Bose321 :I'm sure you can get better temps with a proper air cooled heatsink and still have less noise. My CPU is passively cooled and runs cooler then that and I doubt it makes more noise then those stock cheap fans.

Quote from e2mustang :my cooler has the silencer fan on it.baerly makes any noise,like you have to put your ear next to to hear something. i am very pleased with it(acrtic cooling freezer 13,limited edition) so there goes your performance and noise theory

Better than what? See above. Also again as above cpu wise they are running cooler than ever especiall with intel's speedstep and amd's cool and quiet. Gpu's though are another matter though. Look at the gtx 470's and 480' it isn't unusual to see 90C on them under load. Now you can replace them with aftermarket coolers that keep the cards double slot or even go up to triple slot but then they leave the hot air in the case (meaning you need good case fans) or they exhaust at the back and I am yet to find a quiet cooler that does this.

Quote from e2mustang :note you dont need to stress test for 24 h

Generally agreed to say an overclock is as close as anyone can say to truely stable is run a stress for 24 hours.

And for reference, I have custom watercooling and for browsing internet or watching films I can have 3 120mm fans running at 600rpm (1 blowing air over motherboard heat sinks and two on my radiator) and when it comes to gaming I run all my fans at 600rpm and cpu temp hits about 33C 34C and gpu (Gtx 470) never goes above 45C even in the summer. Even gaming the noisest part of my computer is my hdd's as I said above.

It is all horses for courses really and depends what level of cooling you want and for what noise level. Personally as my pc is used for gaming and htpc duties and I hate the sound of gpu cooler custom watercooling makes sense and I can justify the price. Many other people don't mind, don't care or don't want to spend the money and I totally see where they come from.
Quote from Greboth :Better than what?

Please go read all the posts then...

I'm not sure what you're trying to say actually... I got two 4850's with aftermarket coolers and even with the fans in my side panel turned of they don't heat up that much (~60C both under full load). I even got a fan controller which I use even under full load to keep my fans as low as possible. You can't hear the PC while the fans are at their lowest and still everything is cool as it can be. Do tell, how is watercooling better still with 3 fans turning at 600rpm while you can get the same, if not better, with air cooling? Keep in mind you do need a proper case and good cable management. And obviously air cooling doesn't take all space in your case for the pump(s), rads and what not...
I know your response was in relation the all in one cooler but I was distinguishing between those and custom watercooling. Yes you can cool some graphics cards with minimal number of fans and minimal airflow you have to treat it on a like for like basis. That is why I used the gtx 470 (And 480's) as I know what temps they reach on air and water.

Can you keep your fans that low during gaming or is that only during idle periods / internet browsing etc? This isn't me being a cock I am interested to know. Though idle temps aren't the best comparisson, load temps are.

Using the example I know, I used to run 200m front fan, 230mm side fan, 230 top fan and 140mm rear fan and 120mm pointed at gpu to help air flow. Cooling cpu with a corsair h50 (amd 1090t o/c to 3.8ghz) and gtx 470 on air. CPU idle used to be mid 30's, load high 40's low 50's C - reasonable temperatures and matchable by air no arguments. Graphics card though with fans turned down used to idle ~40C and load even with fans on max hit high 80's low 90's (highest I ever saw it hit was 98C in the summer) thats with the standard heat sink fan at 100% and it sounded like plane taking off. Now with 2 fans on rad cooling cpu and gpu I get idle temps of cpu 24C and gpu 30C, load temps with all fans at 600rpm (durnig gaming when both are used, I don't have a program to stress gpu) cpu hits 35C - 36C max and I can't remember a time of graphics card going above 45C. I used to have 3 radiator fans running 1000rpm to keep those temps but recent change in set up means I can keep fans 600rpm. I am sure I could go lower but any lower on my fan controller and my fans wont spin.

So no one can argue that watercooling has it's downsides - space taken up by pumps, res, rad, having to have a bigger case etc, the cost but when it comes to the higher end gaming pc's air cooling simply cannot keep cpu and gpu temps and noise down the same level as a well built custom loop.
Quote from Greboth :Can you keep your fans that low during gaming or is that only during idle periods / internet browsing etc? This isn't me being a cock I am interested to know. Though idle temps aren't the best comparisson, load temps are.

That's stressed with furmark for some hours on both GPU's. Idle around 28C and load just above 60C.
Quote from Greboth :
Better than what? See above. Also again as above cpu wise they are running cooler than ever especiall with intel's speedstep and amd's cool and quiet. Gpu's though are another matter though. Look at the gtx 470's and 480' it isn't unusual to see 90C on them under load. Now you can replace them with aftermarket coolers that keep the cards double slot or even go up to triple slot but then they leave the hot air in the case (meaning you need good case fans) or they exhaust at the back and I am yet to find a quiet cooler that does this.

not sure what u mean better than what? gpu's are different,but if ur really overheating them than there a problem with the case. i never had any gpu temp problems besides when it was full of dust. i got a gts 250 oc,it runs liks a champ temp wise. as for a good case,mine is pretty neat. got 5 big fans in it,does the job very well.(takes 7 total)

Quote from Greboth :Generally agreed to say an overclock is as close as anyone can say to truely stable is run a stress for 24 hours.

And for reference, I have custom watercooling and for browsing internet or watching films I can have 3 120mm fans running at 600rpm (1 blowing air over motherboard heat sinks and two on my radiator) and when it comes to gaming I run all my fans at 600rpm and cpu temp hits about 33C 34C and gpu (Gtx 470) never goes above 45C even in the summer. Even gaming the noisest part of my computer is my hdd's as I said above.

It is all horses for courses really and depends what level of cooling you want and for what noise level. Personally as my pc is used for gaming and htpc duties and I hate the sound of gpu cooler custom watercooling makes sense and I can justify the price. Many other people don't mind, don't care or don't want to spend the money and I totally see where they come from.

yeah stress test recommended 24 h to see if system fails,but 10-16 should be enough.but we were only talking about cpu temp and noise. for a newly installed cooler u only need a few hours,to see what the temps are.
and as i said,i got a i7 860 @ 3.5 ish with freezer 13 limited edition(50 $) @ 25C idle,full load and 3ds max never goes above 46.and it is quiet. this was my point only,i didnt wanna go into argument.
my updated rig (after i killed the old ddr2 motherboard and 5850 gfx card) AMD Phenom II X4 965BE 4Ghz (to be replaced by FX 8150) Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AM3+ Cosair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1866 C9 MSI Twin Frozr III Radeon 6950 2GB (2nd one comming ) Cooler Master SilentPro 600W Samsung F1 Raid 0 (SSD also comming ) runs awesome
Rig Updated.

Specs

Case: Corsair Graphite 600T Black

Mainboard: MSI P67A-GD65

CPU: Intel Core i7 Quad Processor i7-2600K Socket 1155
Max clock 4,4GhZ

CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 Hydro Series

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 1GB PhysX CUDA
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 1GB PhysX CUDA
Running SLI

Memory: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 12GB CL9
Removed 1 stick Running 8GB. The ram is fast enough.

HDD: Corsair SSD Force Series 2,5" 60GB

PSU: Corsair HX 850W PSU

Screen: Samsung 24" LED Syncmaster BX2431
Screen: Philips 47" 3D LED-TV 47PFL7666T
Mostly for Watching Tv, But yeah ive tried LFS.

Keyboard: Microsoft rt2300

Mouse: Logitech G400
The new MX-518 as they say.

Windows Experience Index
Processor: 7,8
Memory(RAM): 7,8
Graphics: 7,9
Gaming graphics: 7,9
Primary hard disk: 7,1

Max Settings on lfs = 500fps max won't go higher.
Strangley enough i get 5fps when recording with fraps..
Will be posting Benchmarks with OC.

None of my benchmark programs would start..
anyhow http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2088035

Post your "LFS" rig..
(3080 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG