The online racing simulator
Help! Weird PC issues, driving me mad
Win7 reinstalled last week, and machine running perfectly fine until this morning.

-Installed Windows updates last night, and PC shutdown, as per usual.
-this morning start up pc (and monitor) as usual
-Monitor says NO SIGNAL. i thought WTF, it was working perfectly upto last night.
-checked all cables, incl. DVI cable. And tried VGA cable. No luck. The PC is on but no signal to monitor
-force shutdown, and left it alone for a few hours, feeling frustrated.
-Came back same thing. Tried again the finally started to show onscreen, and boot, till the PC just shut it self off before windows was loaded.
-This happened a few more time, including one instance where it turns on for ~5 seconds and turn off.
-Finally after few tries, booted to Windows. Then after ~5 mins, windows freeze solid. Force shutdown.
-try again same thing, Freeze. Tried again pc switches off suddenly after 15 mins of regular browsing.

Now its back to square 1, NO SIGNAL. I even changed the power outlet to which the PSU is connected. Tried onboard Video. Still poof.
Im just about to start throwing things around my room.
As from the update part, maybe it installed somekind of video driver that might have set up a major conflict between graphics card and other hardware? Ive had windows update trying to install drivers for me, but i already had the newest one installed recently.

And also, things can go bad every second. The mobo might have burned up something. Have u cleared the software/hardware issue? I mean, u sure its related to hardware?
Does the screen show anything while the BIOS POST? Does it beep once like normal, are you sure windows boots?
Quote from Bose321 :Does the screen show anything while the BIOS POST?

No nothing different
Quote :Does it beep once like normal,

Like normal? I never used to hear a beep at all even when running fine
Quote :are you sure windows boots?

It did a few times (the times when It simply shut off, or freeze).

EDIT: I just tried again, and noticed that the power LED dosnt come on now (yes the wire is connected right). All the fans spin up though (GPU fan, PSU fan, CPU fan, case Fan), and the MoBo light is on.
Quote from jrd.racer :No nothing different

Like normal? I never used to hear a beep at all even when running fine

It did a few times (the times when It simply shut off, or freeze).

You should get your POST on your screen when your BIOS loads, maybe something is wrong there? Doesn't your PC beep at all? Normally it beeps once to let you know everything is allright.
This looks like a HW failure, a faulty MB is usually responsible for this. You can try erasing CMOS by removing the battery on your MB, though I don't believe it will help...
Quote from Bose321 :You should get your POST on your screen when your BIOS loads, maybe something is wrong there? Doesn't your PC beep at all? Normally it beeps once to let you know everything is allright.

Well now its not even booting at all. As I said all fans are spinning, but no signal sent to monitor, and the Power LED, or HDD LED dosn't come on.

Quote from MadCatX :This looks like a HW failure, a faulty MB is usually responsible for this. You can try erasing CMOS by removing the battery on your MB, though I don't believe it will help...

I tried clearing the CMOS already Nothing.

I can't belive all this seemingly happened overnight.
Looks like that the problem lay on the HDD

Try without the HDD and see if boot ( At least till the D.O.S say that you need a HDD =P )

Or, do you have any kind of CD-Live of linux that you can load on the fly and see if still hang up your system?

So we can "Discard" that is a HDD problem, but in general talking that kind of "Fan spining" and no signal of the monito is related to memory or video problem

Also, check if the speaker of the case is connected to the mobo, so you can "hear" the beeps

90% of the pc have at least 1 beep when you hit power that beep means that the system is OK
Try reseating your memory or just try one stick at a time and then try booting.
Quote from Inouva :Looks like that the problem lay on the HDD

Try without the HDD and see if boot ( At least till the D.O.S say that you need a HDD =P )

Or, do you have any kind of CD-Live of linux that you can load on the fly and see if still hang up your system?

So we can "Discard" that is a HDD problem, but in general talking that kind of "Fan spining" and no signal of the monito is related to memory or video problem

Also, check if the speaker of the case is connected to the mobo, so you can "hear" the beeps

90% of the pc have at least 1 beep when you hit power that beep means that the system is OK

I tried booting without the HDD, No Signal
Tried with 1 stick of memory, and even non, No Signal
plugged out cd drive
tried running onboard video, no signal
Listened closely for beep(s), (<-- still while no signal), nothing.

Quote from burn4u :Try reseating your memory or just try one stick at a time and then try booting.

tried,... nothing.

-The big blue power LED inside the front of the case isn't comming on, what could that be suggesting?
Right now im thinking, MoBo, and PSU.
If I change my MoBo, it wont trouble anything on the HDD right?
If is not the HDD nor Vc nor memory stick it could 2 more stuff ( Or 3 at the worst ) a dead mobo, a dead cpu or a "Semi" dead PSU ( i bet is the mobo )

Try to look if any of the capacitor of the mobo are "inflated", Sniff aroud the mobo and try to smell if there is something "burned"
Our office had one Shuttle system that had same kind of problem. Never figured out what exactly had died but it had major trouble booting even with everything pulled off (memory, hard disks, optical drives, keyboard, mouse etc.)

The CPU was fine though when I dropped it to another mobo but needless to say the Shuttle was thrown to the wall quite quickly. Lesson of the day was never let the CEO decide what kind of computers to buy.
check RAM, pull out, blow the entry, insert a cube, if you do not go put in another entry, a typical problem a bit older equipment (dust)
#14 - robt
I had smething similar before, turned out the PSU connector had fried itself to the mobo to the point where the leads were melting after a few seconds causing the shutdown!
Thanks for all the suggestions/interest guys. I'm gonna send out the PC today to a more capable set people (PC repair store) and maybe they can pinpoint the problem

Quote from robt :I had smething similar before, turned out the PSU connector had fried itself to the mobo to the point where the leads were melting after a few seconds causing the shutdown!

Thats the the long 24pin connector, right?
Quote from jrd.racer :Thanks for all the suggestions/interest guys. I'm gonna send out the PC today to a more capable set people (PC repair store) and maybe they can pinpoint the problem

Thats the the long 24pin connector, right?

Yes.

Altough, some mobo's have 20 pin connector.
I just checked the ATX 24pin connector from the psu, and it has one pin missing, but two wires go into one different slot.

MoBo- Asus M4A78LT-m
PSU- Diablotek 600w

Is that normal?
Quote from E.Reiljans :That's so pre-2005.

I hope u have noticed that actually alot of people here (and there) are running on P4 systems etc. nubas!
Might be a psu problem, can you get hold of another?

And yes the pinout is normal.
Been out to a PC technician, he did some testing, and reported that my PSU got hit. Maybe some power surge during the night. Im gonna get another one, and also a UPS (didnt have one). I hope the MoBo and CPU is OK.

You guys have UPS'?
Nope. UPS pretty pointless imo. I relay on hardware and my outlet. I mean, i know i got my power outlet groundings all grounded and my cabling stuff is fine and for some reason i never have such issues.
Not me either. Here, mains power is very stable, we never have spikes etc.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG