The online racing simulator
Getting banned on servers for no reason
Hi my name is Mr Speedy

i recieved an email from lfs tech to say that i have been banned too many times , it will result in a temporary ban for 30 days...
All i have done on the servers that banned me was accidently crash into a wall then press shift + s to go back to the pits.
next minute i am on the host screen and i have been banned.
how is this happening?

well hope to hear some replys

thank you
Mr Speedy
#2 - joen
You received it from lfs tech? You mean from the developers?
I don't know what happened so I'm not able to completely judge the situation, but if you received the email from the devs I find it very hard to believe the ban doesn't have a valid reason, because I know the devs don't often ban people themselves (can't remember seeing it happen once)
I think it's best to just accept it, because bans are usually not negotiable unless you make a very strong case. Ask them if they are willing to explain more, because noone here will be able to do anything about it.
replays
I've never heard of something like that. This eMail you received is probably just spam or phishing or whatever one might call it. Banning is a local issue. No matter from how many servers you get banned, LFS World and thus the devs will not know it.

The only project in this direction afaik is the "wrecker barricade" and they won't send any emails to the banned people, or do they?

Is the eMail asking for LFSW login and password?
#5 - wabz
HorsePower, that is incorrect. You do get an automated message (email) if you've been banned too many times, warning that if you keep being banned it will result in a 30 day ban "from all LFS online activity".

I received one today because I was banning myself from my own server while testing browse for speed admin functionality.
It's the new automated ban warning system.

When a user gets a lot of host bans in a short period of time, they will get a warning. If they don't avoid being banned after a few more times, they can get a temporary master ban of 30 days.

It's a fully automated system. People must avoid being banned too many times. If they are banned from one server they shouldn't don't go back to the same server - find one where you get on or with people of similar ability.

As it's a fully automated system, we've set the numbers quite high - you will never see this warning if you have just a few bans. You have a lot of chances before being warned and then master banned.
#7 - Phlos
Nice feature Scawen
Quote from Phlos :Nice feature Scawen

It is, as long as it doesnt get abused, I can see ways in which it could

Dan,
#9 - Krane
Quote from wabz :HorsePower, that is incorrect. You do get an automated message (email) if you've been banned too many times, warning that if you keep being banned it will result in a 30 day ban "from all LFS online activity".

I received one today because I was banning myself from my own server while testing browse for speed admin functionality.

There's the possibility for abuse, it should check that the bans come from different users and possibly from different servers.
Oh well, I really didn't know that . But really a nice system!

Thx alot, Scawen!
Are both admin bans and vote bans recorded by this auto ban warning system?
Only bans which happen when the user is actually online at the time of the ban - if the user is kicked by a ban.

Just adding to a ban file or typing /ban ORION when ORION is not online, will not be registered at LFS World.
#13 - SamH
Quote from Scawen :Only bans which happen when the user is actually online at the time of the ban - if the user is kicked by a ban.

Just adding to a ban file or typing /ban ORION when ORION is not online, will not be registered at LFS World.

Online in general, or on the specific server that they're being banned from, may I ask?
Quote from SamH :Online in general, or on the specific server that they're being banned from, may I ask?

Quote from Scawen :if the user is kicked by a ban.

The user is only kicked by the ban if he's on the server that bans him at the time...
As probably many others too, the worry of being bombarded with "spam" bans would come across of a worry.
I myself have aslo been banned in the past (not complaining because nothing can be done) for reasons 1) that have not been explained and 2) for not doing anything that anyone else would complain about.
Freinds could become irresponsibe and set up a "player banning barricade" - Where people who really dislike someone would pass the word on to their freinds who own/run/admin other servers.
People would then be banned for fun, leading to a 30 day ban for no problem.
I know, this occurnce will be rare, It is possible
IMO, people should have a new way of banning, something like "Mani-Admin" for Counter Strike Source, Where they press ban > Player > Whoevever > Reason > Bad Langauge + Replay auto saved to that of whoever being banned and the server operator, so irresposible bans can be combabted, and stopped.
#16 - SamH
Quote :The user is only kicked by the ban if he's on the server that bans him at the time...

I understand that assumption, based on the example given. I just really need to clarify if it's the ONLY example possible.
#17 - SamH
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I know, this occurnce will be rare, It is possible

Not rare enough, if it IS possible. That's my concern. I just really wanted to clarify that, if someone is banned, both the person who is banned and also the person who is doing the banning is recorded, so that malicious banning can be identified.

I really DONT believe that Scawen would leave such a door open for abuse. I just learned a long time ago that to "assume" is to make an "ass" of "u" and "me". Hence my seeking clarification
Quote from Scawen :/ban ORION

noooo!!

@SamH:
Well Scawen said that it's only recorded when a user is kicked by "a" ban. I guess this means "by THE ban", otherwise you could kick a user on server A, while, at the same time, someone else bans him on server B. lol
#19 - axus
lol thats unfair :P
plz change that sig lol
#21 - axus
I will eventually.
It should get old in a week or two.
thank you
hi guys,
thank you for replying
but still i dont know why they banned me?illepall
oh well who cares?

i will just get on with the game
thnx again
bye
Mr Speedy
My advice is avoid any oval servers, I was just kicked 3 times for no reason.

First kick was apparently for getting spun out from behind, dispite holding my line 2 cars decided to go for a gap not even big enough for a push bike. I then spun across the track, only hitting 1 car before managing to hit shift S.

Then i was kicked.

I join again 'why was i kicked? i got spun out'

kicked again

Join again and say nothing

kicked again...i gave up at that point
I've been banned twice. Once for limping back to the pits and interfering with another car and my appology wasnt accepted, and once because of an admin error (which was cleared up), despite doing a LOT of online racing. So two bans despite some weeks spending FAR too much time online...

Quote :but still i dont know why they banned me?

Well Mr Speedy, Scawen did point out that...

Quote : When a user gets a lot of host bans in a short period of time, they will get a warning.

And more frighteningly he also said this...

Quote :As it's a fully automated system, we've set the numbers quite high

I dont think i'm the only one that's thinking you probably deserved it, and glad that I didn't find out the reasons why in person.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :As probably many others too, the worry of being bombarded with "spam" bans would come across of a worry.
I myself have aslo been banned in the past (not complaining because nothing can be done) for reasons 1) that have not been explained and 2) for not doing anything that anyone else would complain about.
Freinds could become irresponsibe and set up a "player banning barricade" - Where people who really dislike someone would pass the word on to their freinds who own/run/admin other servers.
People would then be banned for fun, leading to a 30 day ban for no problem.
I know, this occurnce will be rare, It is possible
IMO, people should have a new way of banning, something like "Mani-Admin" for Counter Strike Source, Where they press ban > Player > Whoevever > Reason > Bad Langauge + Replay auto saved to that of whoever being banned and the server operator, so irresposible bans can be combabted, and stopped.

Your situation described above can't happen. My server participates in the Wrecker Barricade system. If you get banned from a server, and your actions are reported via the system, and I ban you from my server while you are not on it, the ban will NOT get recorded by the dev's system. You could (and probably will) get banned by 20 or 30 servers all while you are offline, but these bans won't be recorded in the dev's system.

The only way you are going to get the warning and the 30 day ban is if you get banned from a server while you are on that server. You then have to go to another server and get banned again... do this multiple times in a short period. You will really have to go out of your way to have this happen, and if it does happen, the 30 day global ban is probably deserved.

I can tell you that if I see deliberate wrecking from a Wrecker Barricade report, you will get a very long ban on our servers. It has to be blatant and intentional. Bad driving won't get you a long ban automatically, but wrecking will.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG