The online racing simulator
Need a new wheel
(24 posts, started )
Need a new wheel
Hi

Looking to buy a new wheel for LFS. I read about the DFGT being the much cheaper and pretty equally as good version of a G27 and with 21 buttons instead of 2. Then again reviews seem to say it has the shifter located on a wrong spot? Should I go for a DFGT or are there other options out there these days?

My one and only wheel before was a MS Sidewinder FF which too bad died out entirely. Such epic quality for its time!

Thank you,
How much money are you looking to spend?
DFGT might be cheaper. but I'd still go for the logitech G25/G27 wheels. Only wheel I had for the PC is the G25. It's been holding up nicely for over 2 years. It makes some sounds at certain angles but it's nothing that bothers me. I've opened all the components up and reassembled them to do certain mods such as reversing the pedal mount. (Easy on the G25) and increasing the shifters resistance.

I've heard a-lot about people complaining about the G25/G27 quality and it's been pretty negative. I however haven't felt any of this. I feel that the G25 is of good quality and like I said. Still running after 2 years (I'm not easy on the wheel. I use high force-feedback and agressive wheeling, especially when drifting)

People complain about the G25/G27 having a high deadzone, this is fixed my sliding the profiler force-feedback up to roughly 102% (not 100%) and then adjusting the force feedback trough the game.

Biggest reason to why I picked the G25 is that I really wanted the H-pattern shifter and the clutch. Another reason is that the shifter is a loose component so that I can mount it in waist level. My driving position is pretty similar to that of a real car and that is what makes the G25 / G27 great.

Hope you found this fast write-up helpful.
Quote from CdnRacer :How much money are you looking to spend?

~100-200 euros is acceptable.

Thanks for the write up Pärtan, useful information indeed. Though the G25 brings me with the problem of buying second hand, something I do not like to do...
I have a G25 and a friend has a DFGT.
I can tell you that they are nowhere near in quality or specifications. DFGT is a lot noiser, a lot slower (ForceFeedback wise), plastic pedals with short travel, etc.

On the other side, I must say that my G25 pedals have been opened 3 times in order to clean and change pedals potentiometers (switch thottle and clucth). My shifter was opened once to repair the reverse button and I need to open it again because it upshifts 2 gears sometimes and downshifts with almost not touching the stick.
It also has some noises on the wheel, but thats normal wear I expect.

I'm sure this wall of text won't help you to decide wich wheel to buy, but at least it may show you some flaws of second hand G25's could have.
In my opinion the difference is so huge I'll still consider a good second hand G25/G27(if you don't mind the lack of sequential) over a DFGT.

PS: The G25 has 2 buttons, the G27 6, plus 12 on the shifter (plus the shifter itself)
I'd say get the DFGT and buy clubsport pedals from fanatec.
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Quote from Bose321 :http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/ ... 86d1f0590af5fb725300f5a6f
or
http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/ ... 86d1f0590af5fb725300f5a6f

These are also interesting Bose. Heared some about the Fanatec wheels but didn't really check them yet. Comparable quality to the Logitech ones? 200 euros for the stand, pedals and wheel seems like a great price - better than the DFGT!

Someone has experience with them? eg. are the metal plate for under the pedals required to purchase extra, or any other "get that while you're at it cause it's much better than the standard" advice?

Does LFS support "6+1 Speed gear stick with correct dimensions"?
Quote from GianniC :Thanks for the feedback everyone!

These are also interesting Bose. Heared some about the Fanatec wheels but didn't really check them yet. Comparable quality to the Logitech ones? 200 euros for the stand, pedals and wheel seems like a great price - better than the DFGT!

Someone has experience with them? eg. are the metal plate for under the pedals required to purchase extra, or any other "get that while you're at it cause it's much better than the standard" advice?

Go for the fanatec pack!! I don't know about the stand, but my fanatec wheel is just so much better than the G25/27s I had to play with occasionally!
I've got the GT3RS package but had the opportunity to test the Plastic paddles as well. They are still much better than Logitechs, but you might want to screw them to the ground/get the metal plate for them. You can also just get a piece of metal anywhere, some screws and a few pieces of anti slip stickers, but you'll pay just as much or more than for the fanatec stuff.

greetz

der butz
Quote from GianniC :Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Yeah in my opinion they're alot better. And der butz also says so.

The support from Fanatec is also top-notch if you would have any questions or problems.

The shifter works fine in LFS and other games.

Quote :
Thank you very much or your Fanatec Gameshop order from Wednesday 31 August, 2011!

Now wait impatiently...
Haha, well done! Enjoy the wheel. If there are any questions feel free to PM me.
Quote from Bose321 :Haha, well done! Enjoy the wheel. If there are any questions feel free to PM me.

Do you get payed by Fanatec?
Quote from GianniC :Do you get payed by Fanatec?

Haha I wished, but I am sponsored however. But I have pretty much tested all of their wheels, so I'm here to help.
Nice set.

I use the Club Sport Pedals. Is the best buy i did this year.
10 times better then my old G25 pedals.
Better feeling with the throttle ( bigger range ) and the brake have a Load Cell in-case of a pot-meter.
Its great for racing ( i can brake harder and later now without locking up my wheels)
Any suggestions, options, ... to tweak the wheel for LFS?

Does someone also happen to know with which company they deliver, DHL, UPS, ...?!
Quote from GianniC :Any suggestions, options, ... to tweak the wheel for LFS?

Does someone also happen to know with which company they deliver, DHL, UPS, ...?!

I believe UPS.

Settings always have to be adjusted to the user, so just try whatever suits you.
Quote from GianniC :Any suggestions, options, ... to tweak the wheel for LFS?

Hi,
They deliver with UPS and when your order is shipped you receive a e-mail from UPS so you can see where the delivery is and when its is at your home.
Quote from Tim NL :Hi,
They deliver with UPS and when your order is shipped you receive a e-mail from UPS so you can see where the delivery is and when its is at your home.

Yeah, comparable with track&trace from TNT (if they have TNT over there).
Thanks, got an e-mail from UPS later on in the afternoon indeed.

Monday! Monday! Mondaaayyyy!

/takes the whole week off
Arrived today, setting it up now! One problem though:

Someone else can't access www.fanatec.com/support?
It gives a 404 error when I select my wheel...
Site seems to be working on all pc wheels for me

what wheel/link is it that you are trying to see?
Got it working in Firefox, didn't open in IE.

Anyway, seems I should have taken the clubsport pedals and the GT3 wheel. Throttle pedal is very loose which is good, but the cluth blocks halfway and then pushes completely through. Much bigger issue is how the braking pedal is like a rock hard stone; I can't do moderate braking and if I push my full power on the brake needed to have max breaking, then the whole pedal set moves due to the force I have to put on it...
Going to send back my package and swap for the GTR3RS + clubsport pedal package. The quality isn't bad, don't get me wrong, but I had expected better and an improvement over my old MS Sidewinder FF wheel. This is just too much near the (awesome) quality of my old one.

Going to make myself a new table to mount the wheel on, so I can replace the wheelstand. On itself I'm happy about it, really does its job, but doesn't fit entirely under my desk and as such I sit a bit too far from the screen to be great. Again good quality, but not entirely what I had anticipated.

Good service from Fanatec though, short on words but efficient German style.

Need a new wheel
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG