The online racing simulator
Windows 7, SysPrep or Image Backup
(2 posts, started )
Hi All,

Just wondering if anybody can give me concreate evidence on why I should not be using a Windows 7 Image created used Windows Backup to deploy across other PC's. Here is the Senario

I have 10 PC's, all identical.
Using a Workgroup, not a domain
All logging in the same user account.

I prep'd one PC, installed everything, as they will be the same, used Microsoft Backup to create the Image in Windows 7 Pro, and have started deploying this on the other 9 PC's. They boot, I change the name of PC, and put in the license key. All seems to be working, but guy I work with, insists this is wrong, and should be using sysprep, but why?

I have read the MarkB blog about SID's etc, but just wondering if anybody in the LFS world could let me know otherwise.

This is not a Domain, no AD, logging on using Local accounts.

Many thanks

Fordie
from what I read a few months back, SID's don't mean anything anymore. in the past, if two computers had the same SID, it would cause problems with AD and programs that use AD.

i think the reason they recommend you use sysprep is so you get the setup stuff on first boot, so you can set the host name and whatnot. if you use a ghost image, you could run into problems like static ip and host name conflicts.

(2 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG