The online racing simulator
London/UK Riots
(461 posts, started )
An aged reader in the Guardian comments section writes:

"How can these poverty stricken disenfranchised 'children' actually afford these smart phones ?"
Quote from AndRand :Nope,

because nearly all fall in nearly one place (as prooved here for instance)

lfsforum is not a representative sample.
Quote from Electrik Kar :"How can these poverty stricken disenfranchised 'children' actually afford these smart phones ?"

There are quite a few ways to obtain a smart phone without paying the retail price.

1) Steal one.
2) Bill pay contract.
3) Someone who signed up to a Bill pay contract reports it stolen and sells it.
4) Parents.

@ DWB - It still costs them close to retail price to get 1 of them.
Quote from U4IK ST8 :There are quite a few ways to obtain a smart phone without paying the retail price.

1) Steal one.

Well they're running around with more processing power than a Cray supercomputer in their back pockets. I'll save my definition of 'disenfranchised' for another group.
Sign in the window of Subway in town:

Ah the good guys are out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5aHoW-5qMc

How is that chap crossing the street allowed to openly have a deadly weapon(sword)? What if rioters come to attack "his" mosque? Is he going to start beheading people? Crazy shit...

Breaking into Manchester photography shop...http://news.sky.com/home/liveplus
"The rock" in my home town (bury) is being targeted by looters apparently, might have a drive up see whats going on.
Quote from Crashgate3 :Sign in the window of Subway in town:

Kinda surprised this is entirely spelled correctly.
Quote from U4IK ST8 :How is that chap crossing the street allowed to openly have a deadly weapon(sword)? What if rioters come to attack "his" mosque? Is he going to start beheading people? Crazy shit...

Because he is a Sikh, they are allowed to carry their ceremonial swords.
They don't have mosques either.

They have their own news channel too, 847 on Sky...
http://www.guruharrai.org/sangat-tv-live.html
Quote from U4IK ST8 :Section 139 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 prohibits the possession in a public place of any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed - http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/l_ ... and_pointed_articles/#a09

I don't see anything there which gives him the right to carry it in a public place...

Quote :Defence

The defendant is entitled to be acquitted if he shows on the balance of probabilities that:

he had "good reason or lawful authority" for having the bladed or pointed article; or
he had the article for use at work; or
he had the article for religious reasons; or
he had the article as part of a national costume; (Archbold 24-125).

The defendant does not discharge the burden of showing "good reason" just by providing an explanation that is not contradicted by the prosecution evidence: (Archbold 24-128). Where details of a defence are given in interview or in a defence statement, the CPS should consider whether evidence is available to rebut the defence and should liaise with police if additional enquiries or evidence are necessary. Any defence should be tested by robust cross examination.

Maybe you should have read on a few lines.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Maybe you should have read on a few lines.

So he was out there for religious reasons? My arse...

As Bean0 said, it's a ceremonial sword, not for self defence.
Quote :he had the article as part of a national costume

Which also covers Scotsman carrying a dirk (short-sword) as part of their highland dress, which I don't see anyone complaining about.
Why would anyone complain about that?
Quote from U4IK ST8 :So he was out there for religious reasons? My arse...

As Bean0 said, it's a ceremonial sword, not for self defence.

Sikhs carry their Kirpans for religious reasons at all times. In the UK/Canada they tend to carry a small blunt dagger, rather than the full length article. It is as important to their religion as the turban.
Quote from U4IK ST8 :Why would anyone complain about that?

Well then why complain about a Sikh carrying his ceremonial sword? If a Scotsman is allowed to carry a ceremonial sword, then why shouldn't a Sikh?
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Sikhs carry their Kirpans for religious reasons at all times. In the UK/Canada they tend to carry a small blunt dagger, rather than the full length article. It is as important to their religion as the turban.

That's fair enough but when people are out defending something while in the possession of a deadly weapon it's a total different story. No ceremonies going on there so why feel the need to have it?

Quote from DarkTimes :Well then why complain about a Sikh carrying his ceremonial sword? If a Scotsman is allowed to carry a ceremonial sword, then why shouldn't a Sikh?

Because there's no ceremony taking place here!

He is obviously using it for self defense, which is illegal.

And I would say the same if I thought a Scotsman was using his dirk for self defence, I'm not being discriminate here just so you know.
Quote from andybarsblade :

Every time I watch that I laugh a little harder.

Quote from U4IK ST8 :That's fair enough but when people are out defending something while in the possession of a deadly weapon it's a total different story. No ceremonies going on there so why feel the need to have it?

When someone is wrecking your neighbourhood just for shits and giggles, you'll change your tune. They are doing what the Police have been unable to do and it isn't the first time the UK and her Empire has depended on the might of the Sikh warrior. You'll notice the British Military (and Police force) allow them to wear turbans and not a helmet. This change of dress code goes back many many years (back when we fought in red coats) and was to keep them fighting for us. It seems history has a habit of repeating itself.

London/UK Riots
(461 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG