The online racing simulator
Couple of recent random car shots
Attached images
limo.jpg
coupe.jpg
@DeadWolfBones The Silverefex do has a nice grit and sparkle to it.

Here's some of the finished shots from the shoot earlier.

A friend of mine bought a Canon Powershot SX 30 IS recently, and he's doing really well with it... If you have a FB account, you can see his gallery here, and even give him some advices if you want.
Oh, and he wrote everything in Croatian but I think you'll manage it... EDIT: If you try to.
My day as a botanist
SO MANY ANNOYING FLOWERS!

I'm not on my usual monitor so these probably look crap when I see them properly.
Some flower stuff from me, too. (And also vegetables. And a girl.) ((Nice stuff, Don and Mikko!))

Hi,

I'm considering getting started with DSLR's.
Im probably gonna buy a Nikon D90, but i can't quite decide on the lenses.

Was thinking about buying 1 general purpose lens ( eg Nikkor 15-105 f/3.5-5.6 ) and 1 prime 35 or 50mm f/1.8
Which one of these primes is best for taking random photos of friends/family at parties etc? How far away do i have to be with them to make some decent shots?
Also not sure yet about the 15-105

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:

Do UV Filters or lens protectors come with the lenses? Or do you have to buy them separately?
Your idea of a walkaround lens + a prime to start is a good one. I'd suggest the 35/1.8 over the 50/1.8 if you want it for more general use. The 50/1.8 will be a bit narrow in terms of FOV for parties and whatnot. On a DX camera, the 35/1.8 has a FOV equivalent to a 50mm (aka "normal") lens on film/FX.

If you want reviews of the Nikon zoom lenses, check out this page. (The 18-105 seems to get nice reviews there, overall.)

UV filters are generally purchased separately, but tbh I wouldn't worry about them at all. I never have.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Your idea of a walkaround lens + a prime to start is a good one. I'd suggest the 35/1.8 over the 50/1.8 if you want it for more general use. The 50/1.8 will be a bit narrow in terms of FOV for parties and whatnot. On a DX camera, the 35/1.8 has a FOV equivalent to a 50mm (aka "normal") lens on film/FX.

If you want reviews of the Nikon zoom lenses, check out this page. (The 18-105 seems to get nice reviews there, overall.)

UV filters are generally purchased separately, but tbh I wouldn't worry about them at all. I never have.

Ah yea i meant 18-105, not 15-105

Guess I'll go for that one and the 35mm then.
Would it be pointless to buy a circular polarisation filter for both the 35mm and the 18-105mm? Not much sun here in Belgium anyways

Also, anyone has any experience mounting a DSLR to a telescope for astrophotography?
I own a Skywatcher 127mm/1500mm Maksutov-Cassegrain.
A 1,5" eyepiece with a DX thingy on top would be ideal, but I'm guessing it's not gonna be that easy.
Circular polarizers can be fun, for sure, but yeah... probably more use out here in the desert than in Belgium.
I would say regardless of sun a circular polarizer is a great investment. They don't just work when it's sunny :P
Few more flower shots from the D700 + Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5 Ai:

DWB, Those frames are gash , are you a camera/lens tester? as I am kinda under the impression all of your shots are just "ooh look *snap*, ooo look *snap*, ooo look *snap*" to prove the camera/lens quality rather than thought and consideration into the subject .

Cheers
Quote from doyal :DWB, Those frames are gash , are you a camera/lens tester? as I am kinda under the impression all of your shots are just "ooh look *snap*, ooo look *snap*, ooo look *snap*" to prove the camera/lens quality rather than thought and consideration into the subject .

Cheers

Well, thanks for the honest assessment.

The frames are just something I'm playing around with in Silver Efex.

And I do know what you mean regarding the stuff I shoot, unfortunately. Most of my shooting is casual shit done at lunch on work days, which means I shoot the same crap over and over and over again and it gets difficult to have any new creative drive for the process. I wouldn't say that all of my shots are that way, but a fair number of them are. I really need to get out more, but life is busy...

That said, I don't think every photographer needs to be a concert photographer, or a wedding photographer, or an epic landscape photographer, or a motorsports photographer. There's value in simple shots of flowers and back yards and alleyways, too. I mean, I've rarely seen you post anything other than panned race car shots. In my opinion, the only guys on this forum with a diverse enough portfolio to be really called photographers are Mikko and Don. The rest of us are just hobbyists with pet subjects.

(And yes, I do write camera/lens reviews.)
mm candyfloss. slightly out of focus.. but that's night time for you

Quote from DeadWolfBones :Well, thanks for the honest assessment.

The frames are just something I'm playing around with in Silver Efex.

And I do know what you mean regarding the stuff I shoot, unfortunately. Most of my shooting is casual shit done at lunch on work days, which means I shoot the same crap over and over and over again and it gets difficult to have any new creative drive for the process. I wouldn't say that all of my shots are that way, but a fair number of them are. I really need to get out more, but life is busy...

That said, I don't think every photographer needs to be a concert photographer, or a wedding photographer, or an epic landscape photographer, or a motorsports photographer. There's value in simple shots of flowers and back yards and alleyways, too. I mean, I've rarely seen you post anything other than panned race car shots. In my opinion, the only guys on this forum with a diverse enough portfolio to be really called photographers are Mikko and Don. The rest of us are just hobbyists with pet subjects.

(And yes, I do write camera/lens reviews.)

No offence was intended. Perhaps posting 5 shots that you consider best out of a weeks worth rather than a weeks worth would keep things fresh and interesting to look at. This is the rule of thumb I tend to stick to with the same old motorsport photography that I do and post.

Few randoms to keep things on topic: (no cars!)

I like the post processing in lightroom.. and the 24-105 lens is quite sharp/nice

Goodnight from England
Quote from doyal :No offence was intended. Perhaps posting 5 shots that you consider best out of a weeks worth rather than a weeks worth would keep things fresh and interesting to look at.

Oh, I'm already making selections, but I suppose I could be more sparing.

I'll think about it, but I'll probably continue posting what I feel is good enough, which is what I've been doing.

Nice shots, btw.
Couple of outtakes from Spring 2011. Kinda ok feel in these but they lack a bit of clarity what comes to the connection and execution. But do fire away with the feedback. Always appreciated

About the 'what's the correct (?) amount to post stuff per week and per subject' is a difficult one. What comes to DWB, I've seen photographers build a career, style or portfolio with still life macro work of flowers and everyday items and DWB's work is consistently top notch technically. I'm saying keep them coming as he's the macro work benchmark here.

The time issue is pretty bad here personally. My design job eats 9-10 hours a day and that leaves me emotionally exhausted and stressed so I'm lucky if I can manage just one bigger shoot per week and that forces me to make decisions and plan ahead what I'm going to shoot that'll hopefully move me forward. Lately it's been just people shots as that's what I would want to do full time soon.
Those shots are great, magazine quality. The eye of the photographer is always the most critical.
I have returned from my hitchhiking trip across Balkans - Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, Serbia, here's a photo from Dubrovnik:

unfortunately I was behind schedule after 4 days already so I didn't have much time to spend in Albania, Macedonia and Serbia were more-less just transit countries, more photos later
What's the better choice in your opinion:

Nikon D5100 or Canon D600?

Price Tag is about the same on both.

Camera Showoff
(5560 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG