The online racing simulator
Neutral gear button
(34 posts, started )
That's cool.

I would suggest adding that switch anyhow - even though LFS doesnt have a neutral button assignable command.

It would make it possible to at least use that ability with sims that do support it.
Quote from Mauni :You could use button clutch when you go offroading

I didnt see this - lol u funny troll.

The idea was that I could go to nutral by pressing and releasing a button.

Clutch button would have to stay in while im shifting to neutral and and requires more work when I need to perform a split seccon action. On a sequentual it's a nightmare.

A quick press of a single button is preffererd > more than holding a button in while shifting down and trying to recover the car at the same time.

The more buttons you have to press teh more mistakes you are likely to make.

There are situations were I have accidently turned off my engine because I fumbled the swing switch - and in a BF1 - that sucks.
hey guys. long time no see, i know that but now the SAT's are done, tomorrow i'm awaiting my confirmation for a spot in College so all is well and now time is plenty. Rest assured, my project is not dead.
Since i've been all talk and no show... i decided to take some crappy cell phone pictures of the gearbox on the "work bench :P". Tomorrow I hope it will be 100% done so I can get on working on the pedals. Cheers !

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/3446/dsc00354pz.jpg

BTW. Lately I found that at the moment for me there might not be anything more sexy than a gearbox with an USB plug :X
gearbox is done. functionally at least, i still need to get my hands on some leather to make a gaiter for the handbrake and to mount on the bigger side door.
wow, haven't looked in this thread for a long time, looks very cool and professional. Hope it works as good as it looks

btw, whats inside the door under the shifter? all the electronics or a mini bar?
hehe ) good idea to stash stuff, but yes, the wiring, the mechanisms etc. are all there. i put a door cause every once in a while you're gonna need access to lubricate stuff or fix a little thing here and there. also the black leather top with the gear knob actually is a cap, it comes off to see inside the gearbox from the top down. i made it removable first of all to show everything inside :P (cause this baby will participate at the annually high school fair to attract students to my former high school) and also because it would of looked ugly to screw it from the top, i wanted as few screws as possible on the top part.
anyway played today about 4 hours in lfs and it works good, the left-right centering system is a little off cause i couldn't find the right material for the mechanism, but the mechanism works so it shouldn't be hard to fix. Also the distance between the "columns" is a just a little bit wider compared to real life (at least to my car, a Renault) but none of these take away the fun and realism.

Speaking of realism ) the brain learns stuff the same way when the input is the same and today between those 4 hours of playing i had to take a quick ride with the car and when i had to put it in reverse to back up, i swear i tried to push and pull to the left like the Reverse gear is on my gearbox ) not to mention i was flooring it and going 3500 revs all over ) having a usb gearbox is fun but also dangerous )

anyway, tomorrow i start working on the pedals.
update:

Mounted the bigger door on the gearbox also the gaiter for the handbrake (not my best work but screw it, it looks alright).
As for the pedals, mechanically the brake and clutch pedals are done, this leaves the throttle pedal. After i finish with the throttle, I can start wiring them which is gonna be a bit tricky cause the potentiometers are very sensible so the mechanisms connected to them and to the pedals has to be very accurate.
I'll update when i get some new work done.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/24072011069.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/24072011070.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/8/24072011071.jpg/
2 pedals done, the clutch remains. so far it works great.
all pedals are done. I played about an hour and a half last night and it's awesome, not much different from actual driving. I'm pleased with the outcome. Still have to do some tweaking and a bit of improving but nothing too hard to do. Will update when i can.

Neutral gear button
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG